Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
I've played pretty high level hockey and bringing a guy into the boards like Cooke did with Karlsson is not uncommon. Bringing your leg up to drive a player into the boards is exactly what should happen when you pin a player properly. Cooke did everything right on that play, avoiding hitting Karlsson from behind or boarding him, and Karlsson took the hit exactly as he should have. It was an accident for sure, it is a low percentage chance of an achilles injury happening in this circumstance or any other circumstance in hockey but precautions can be made in terms of equipment. Kevlar socks should be worn by players in the NHL. They know how often players get their skates sharpened, some players get them sharpened between each period. This is not the first laceration to happen, and the problem seems to be increasing each season. I doubt Karlsson was wearing Kevlar socks, not blaming him, but it may have helped. Hard to say when 70% of his Achilles was cut on the play.
I've also played as high as semi-pro, and this is the proper technique for pinning a player against the boards. Multiple current and ex-NHL defensemen actually commented on this incident and said they've done the exact same thing when they play/played.

The Sens organization making a huge fuss about no suspension is as bad as being sore losers. It makes them look very bad, especially when the owner of the team speaks out as he has done.