CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just the app...

Sand Wedge jwm is on a distinguished road

Just the app...

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I'm building a garage right now and doing research for a nice practice area. I've narrowed my choices to GC2 and Flightscope's X2 based on need for portability. Has anyone used these with just the app and a projected image of the result/driving range as target? I was thinking about sending the image of the app to the projector and treating it like a driving range with data. Has anyone tried this? Any feedback? Thanks!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    My Lenova Tablet has a mini HDMI connection and will display the same thing on an LCD TV or projector, according to the settings, but I don't have a cable to try yet.

You can see how the GC2 Android app looks here:http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ee-GC2-compare

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    One thing to keep in mind, the flightscope requires a lot more space than the GC2 for indoor applications. Where the GC2 uses cameras and sits next to the ball (so as long as you can get a ball off the ground it'll work), the flightscope uses radar to measure the first part of the ball flight into your net.

I know when I had narrowed it down between the two and spoke with a flightscope rep, we determined that my standard size garage was not enough room to use a flightscope.

I went with the GC2 and have been pretty happy, although foresight really hits you hard on the software and upcharging.

Quote Originally Posted by walb0034 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, the flightscope requires a lot more space than the GC2 for indoor applications. Where the GC2 uses cameras and sits next to the ball (so as long as you can get a ball off the ground it'll work), the flightscope uses radar to measure the first part of the ball flight into your net.

I know when I had narrowed it down between the two and spoke with a flightscope rep, we determined that my standard size garage was not enough room to use a flightscope.

I went with the GC2 and have been pretty happy, although foresight really hits you hard on the software and upcharging.
    I think I will be very happy with either. I appreciate the info and the link. It looks like it would be OK to go with just the app if you are looking for range data and a visual target for your net. This forum has such a high ratio of helpful people!

To Walb: I'm in that fortunate (unfortunate?) position where my garage is 30 ft deep. I have flip flopped 10x back and forth between GC2 (low risk, guaranteed to function indoors) and Flightscope but it's just so tempting to know that I could leave the Flightscope set up in the back, just drag the mat and net into place, have access to their new apps, get club data, and not worry about my friends/brothers/wife shanking the GC2 into 2,000 pieces. My golf instructor is getting the X2 and I will be sure to put it through the ringer with the hitting bay's door closed to simulate my garage.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Being able to share data with your teaching pro and club fitters is a real plus, as far as I'm concerned. In my case, that's the GC2 and I'm very happy with it, not concerned about shanks since I've got the protective case, but I can relate to why the X2 may be your preferred choice.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    For what it's worth I shank plenty and have never come close to hitting the GC2. You'd have to send the ball almost perpendicular to its line of flight. Does this happen? Have I somehow missed a way to be terrible at golf?

Quote Originally Posted by HRS View Post
    For what it's worth I shank plenty and have never come close to hitting the GC2. You'd have to send the ball almost perpendicular to its line of flight. Does this happen? Have I somehow missed a way to be terrible at golf?
    I've had a person at the range stall to my left (righty) hit one over my ear. I felt it through my hair. I've also seen my own father hit the hitting stall barrier and have it bounce into his forehead and draw blood. You can't un-see these events. Bad golfers can fight physics.

That's why the GC2 has the optional suit of armor!

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    I have the X2 and I use the range projected on the screen. I am quite satisfied with it. I also have another 3 monitors set up with it and am able to have multiple sessions of the Flightscope software running with different data displayed on each monitor and screen. This makes it easy to view different data without having to cycle through different views on one session.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Now THAT'S sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by fhann View Post
    I have the X2 and I use the range projected on the screen. I am quite satisfied with it. I also have another 3 monitors set up with it and am able to have multiple sessions of the Flightscope software running with different data displayed on each monitor and screen. This makes it easy to view different data without having to cycle through different views on one session.
    If you could clarify for me, tablet video of the range out to the projector, then the computer program (with virtual sessions?) out to the 3 monitors? That is an enviable setup. Could you post pictures?

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    fhann, as jwm suggested posting some pictures would be great. I would love to see your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by netcam View Post
    fhann, as jwm suggested posting some pictures would be great. I would love to see your setup.
    I read somewhere (and of course now can't find it) that the X2 can connect to 5 devices wireless at the same time. Can anyone confirm this? That would make it possible to set it up as fhann describes with some cheap refurbished flatscreens and old worthless android tablets from my business. It eliminates the complications of the multi-monitor PC setup and screen orientation. Just fire up the tablets, set them to view the different data sets and go. A cheap version of the golf channel set?

Here are some pictures of a client using the Flightscope X2 indoor range area. There are 3 monitors and 1 overhead projector each with its own session of Flightscope software running from the same PC.

DSC00681.jpgDSC00680.jpgDSC00679.jpg
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Thank you Frank, dream set up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm View Post
    I read somewhere (and of course now can't find it) that the X2 can connect to 5 devices wireless at the same time. Can anyone confirm this? That would make it possible to set it up as fhann describes with some cheap refurbished flatscreens and old worthless android tablets from my business. It eliminates the complications of the multi-monitor PC setup and screen orientation. Just fire up the tablets, set them to view the different data sets and go. A cheap version of the golf channel set?
    The main software application then needs to be run on your tablet. Any other tablets must be the same format, i.e. Apple, Android. The peripheral tablets would be designated as listeners. Then yes, you should be able to attach larger screens to each tablet. However, the listening tablets would still only view the single screen application on the main tablet. The listeners cannot control any software, just "listen". So, it is not like my set-up whereby my PC can run 4 separate applications and view each separately on different monitors/projector(s). I don't know of tablets that can run 3 other screens simultaneously viewing different applications on each separate screen.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Thread Information