CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Florida Now Requires Canadians to Have an Internation Driver's License

Since some of you may soon drive or rent a vehicle in Florida, you might want to take note that as of January 1, 2013, Canadians driving in, and renting a car in, Florida require an International Driver's License. The state legislature wanted to make it easier for police officers to read foreign language licenses. The dunces forgot that English is the predominant language in Canada. They also forgot that Canadians inject billions into the state's economy annually. Talk about an ill-conceived law. The state is now scrambling to amend the legislation, but that will take time. In the meantime, if you are driving without an IDL, then you are driving without a license. Even an officer might ignore the technical violation, I don't know what your insurer might do if you had an accident.

International Driver's Licenses can be obtain from CAA.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    A lot of people who spend their winters in Florida actually go ahead and get a Florida driver's license. You do have to have a residence there, but if you do, I think it is cheaper than an International license, and you get treated like a US citizen by the sometimes unfriendly state troopers.

And if you have a car insurance policy in Canada, and you have full coverage including the endorsement #27, your policy covers a private passenger car that you rent anywhere in Canada or the US the same as it covers your own car, up to (in most cases) $50000.

I haven't heard about this requirement Mike, I bet there are hundreds of thousands of people driving in Florida as we speak with a good old Canadian permit.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    I think this will change quickly. Tourism is to important to alienate Canadian tourists.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/canadian...mits-1.1156483

Gap Wedge rando7777 is on a distinguished road
    We are heading there next month so called my car rental co to inqure. They told me no problem renting with my Canadian license. Also just heard on the news they repealed it

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    It will not be enforced and repealed in the spring for English speaking countries
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Geneva Convention Trumps Florida State Legislature!

"It has come to the Department’s attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit." -source: ilstv.com

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    It has been repealed, but you will now be required to wear a Speedo when driving.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    It's not repealed just yet as the state legislature is not in session. However, the state will not be taking any enforcement action.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    It has been repealed, but you will now be required to wear a Speedo when driving.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thread Information