100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    8 Iron col forbin is on a distinguished road

What golf mat seems to work best with the GC2?

I have narrowed it down to real feel mats, position track by custom design, cimarron multiple surface, and truestrike. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Also forgot to mention fiberbuilt is in the running

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    Real Feel/CCE is great. If you hit fat you will need to take advil just like real grass. Fibrebuilt hurts less but then that makes it seem too easy. Truestrike looks too synthetic at address.

Thanks HRS.......just got off the phone with Real Feel and I think I am leaning towards their CCE Deluxe combo system. I can switch out 2 pieces and have rough and fairway. Also, it looks really solid so that it won't move, which was a big concern.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Truestrike gel is the way to go. I have real feel and truestrike and TS wins hands down for approximating real turf.

Just buy the gel section and sink it into your turf carpet.

5 Iron mcook is on a distinguished road
    CPA...I can't tell by the website description. Is there a place to tee up a ball on the Truestrike Gel section...or is that just if you also had the range mat? Thanks

Sand Wedge Dawggolf is on a distinguished road
    I was leaning to country club elite mat but now torn with the true strike. CPA can you stick a tee in the true strike? I have a CG2 on the way to me now. Should be here Monday.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    I'm quite pleased with the mat I purchased from Cory (RT990 Plus), which allows me to use real tees and provides feedback when I hit the ball fat. I got it in 3'x5'. I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to the RealFeel,TruStrike or other mats you've listed.
    http://www.par2pro.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=207

I like the CCE Ultimate combo system that allows for two different lies on the hitting section. It is relatively new, but it looks like it has a solid base which would almost eliminate mat movement. It's a little pricey though. The truestrike looks great, but I am a bit of a hacker who would probably have to replace the gel section quite often. Also, I believe they recommend that you use the tee set that they provide for you.

Use a rubber tee on the truestrike. Either out of the pack or cut and packed in the middle so you can stick a real tee in it. Saves GC2 movement.

Quote Originally Posted by col forbin View Post
    I like the CCE Ultimate combo system that allows for two different lies on the hitting section. It is relatively new, but it looks like it has a solid base which would almost eliminate mat movement. It's a little pricey though. The truestrike looks great, but I am a bit of a hacker who would probably have to replace the gel section quite often. Also, I believe they recommend that you use the tee set that they provide for you.
    The gel section does not need replacing. Just the top hitting surface, once a year or so. Hackers or pros it will wear the same, designed to take a divot.

Went with the CCE real feel and love it. Only problem is it slides quite a bit and I have tried rug grips, velcro strips, etc. Are the fiberbuilt and Truestrike mats heavy enough so that they just don't move? Those seem to be the mats used at club fitters. Just looking to see if anyone has a similar experience.

Truestrike does not move. CCE in a truestrike base section does not move. Suggest you screw to floor somehow.

What type of flooring do you have? I've got the RT990 Plus from Par2Pro, with carpet lining between it and my putting turf that I set my hitting mat on when using my GC2, it's very stable for me. Backing on the RT990 Plus should be similar to the CCE.

I have it in the garage on top of several pieces of thin artificial turf rugs bought from the home depot. They are double sided taped to the cement and seem to stick quite well. I place the real feel mat on this turf and the hitting section moves quite a bit forward. I could cut out the whole section around the mats, but I think it would still move on the cement as well. Thought since I bought the CCE deluxe mat, the rubber ball tray would be heavy enough not to move, but it does. Right now, I am stuck and open to all suggestions. Thanks. Don't really want to drill into cement

Cement nails?

I thought about cement fasteners, but it seems a bit risky. Love the mat (except the moving), but should've gone with the heavier truestrike or fiberbuilt as they don't seem to move at 100 + lbs

Have you considered placing the CCE mat on one the heavy rubber "barn mats" sold in farm supply stores? I've seen some that have a "gripping surface" that's supposed to prevent skidding on concrete floors.

Col. What is the problem drilling three holes at the back of the mat and fixing by cement anchors with washers?

http://www.confast.com/products/nylon-nail-it.aspx

pretty easy drilling cement, just the noise.

No real problem here besides the wife thinking I will crack the concrete and render the garage a disaster zone. Thanks for the link above! That looks like the option that I will be taking to secure the mat.

Does she get in skyscrapers and think they will crack and fall- drill holes everywhere.......

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    Col Forbin - is your mat 2 pieces? One you stand on and one you hit from? I fixed my sliding issue by taking a plastic carpet runner and attaching it to the bottom of my mat with 2 sided tape. I have the divot action mat from Custom Design Golf and am very pleased with it. I also have a Reel Feel mat.

The mat is 2 pieces. The 4x4 stance mat and a 3x4 or so hitting section that has a heavy ball tray. There is movement in both mats, but not nearly as much on the hitting mat because of the weight. I think I will be doing concrete fasteners to keep it in place. Just another project, but well worth it. Glad to hear about the Custom design mat. It was one I looked into especially with the position track, but there didn't seem to be many reveiws on it quite yet. Maybe some day in the future!

Pitching Wedge Unkynd is on a distinguished road
    This was a great discussion. Are the CCE and TS still the top of the heap for GC2 mats? I want one that is going to punish the fat shots so that I don't develop bad habits while practicing. It sounds like both of these do just that.

Would you guys still recommend the same mats or something else now?

In the Interim, I have some Golf Galaxy gift cards to use. GG doesn't carry either of those mats, so what do you guys think I should get from GG? I'm thinking I can use it until I can afford the CCE or TS; and then I can use it as a stance mat or GC2 elevation mat. thoughts?

7 Wood Msuzippy is on a distinguished road
    I'm thinking of throwing some money away on this.

http://www.allturfmats.com/Monster-T...f-p/tt6060.htm

Lob Wedge flagolfer22 is on a distinguished road
    I bought the reelfeel CCE 5x5 mat and i think it is pretty good. the previous posts are right though, when you catch it fat it definitely shows. I have a GC2 setup and it works, there are other threads discussing whether the mat takes off distance from the irons. I haven't found that to be true with my swing. It's like turf on a 2 inch yoga mat. The good thing is they have a 30 day return policy and you can pay over 3 months which i did to see if i liked it or not. I think i may keep it.

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    I have a GC2 and use the divot action mat from Custom Design Golf. I also own the real feel or CCE (which I believe stands for Country Club Elite?). My opinion is the divot action is more realistic than the real feel. The real feel scrubs off an excessive amount of speed if contact is even slightly heavy. I was having significant issues with short carry yardages until I switched mats. With the divot action mat I am seeing more accurate carry yardages. I laser my yardages when playing and thus have a good understanding of my realistic yardages.

Pitching Wedge Unkynd is on a distinguished road
    KBall, how does the divot action react to Fat shots? It looks like it would completely give and just hit higher on the club face.

Msuz, that looks like a standard rubber backed mat. I'd love to hear your reviews on it if you decide to go with it. If it performs, that's a nice pricepoint.

flagolfer - I'm leaning heavily toward the CCE over the TS mainly because of the tee issue. I don't like the idea of having to use a rubber tee for driver. I like that the CCE takes a tee. That said, I want the one that is the most realistic for fat shots; because when I practice on a regular mat I tend to develop bad habits and hit more fat shots when I return to the course.

Lob Wedge flagolfer22 is on a distinguished road
    when i hit it fat i definitely know it. It tends to be more on the shorter irons just pitching-8iron. I believe kball is right though, even if i catch it a little heavy i notice a decrease in distance about 10-20 yards. You will have to buy shorter tees as the mat will only take about a half inch into the mat.

I own the CCE stance mat that enables me to switch up on hitting mats. I have interchanged the divot action, real feel, and fiberbuilt. Here's my take:

Custom design is my favorite and probably provides the best results on the GC2. It has the perfect amount of give and if you hit a fat shot, you can still tell.

Fiberbuilt is the most forgiving of the 3. It is essentially just an upside down brush, but regardless is gives pretty good results with the GC2. If you are a consitenly heavy hitter, this is the mat for you. This would come in as my second favorite.

CCE is a dense mat that is extremely durable. This mat is for the golfer who 90% of the time hits ball-turf. If you hit it fat, there really is no give and doing so several times can affect the wrist. I would say readings on this aren't as bad as some have pointed out, but it really is like hitting of a fairway that has no give.

Thread Information