100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Stunning, especially spin on greens! Whilst I don't like putting on a sim it is as good as it gets.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    I can do these things on the CG3. Chips and pitches are fine. Putting is better on the Protee. Hard to put it into words. Protee has adjustments so you can dial in the putting speed/distance depending on your turf. CG3 only has green fast, medium, slow.

Also, this is not the fault of the CG2 but the greens and grids on the CG3 sucks.

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    Yah, ok. I think I'd prefer red chain courses anyway. Could they be better sure, but I like them anyway.

Sucks is a kind understatement Z. Best thing you can do is make the cup x3 so you can't miss! Green grids are a joke.

7 Iron drcabral is on a distinguished road

GC2 vs Protee. Need Advice

I am debating on buying a GC2 without HMT. I am torn beween the GC2 and Protee. I am a high handicapper but I am looking to purchase a simulator to improve my swing and short game. I feel that a simulator should be fun so you will play it often to grove your swing. It should also be accurate so adjustments you make will translate to improvement of you game. If money was unlimted I would buy the GC2 with HMT, but given the real world of living with a budget I can't afford the HMT. Here are the pro and cons as I understand it after reading numerous threads

GC2

Pros
    1. Easy to set up
    2. Very accurate
    3. Portable
    4. Can use on different surfaces
    Cons
    1. Cost
    2. Courses are too expensive. Will not allow you to use latest course software
    3. Can't play with others online
    4. No club data to work on improving swing unless you buy HMT which is expensive
    Protee

pros
    1. Numerous courses for cheap
    2. Online game play
    3. Pound for pound, cheaper than GC2
    4. Club head data, allows you to improve your swing
    Cons
    1. Difficult to set up. Needs multiple cameras and adjustments
    2. Can only hit off of same sufface with a perfect lie
    Thanks for you advice.
    Last edited by drcabral; 04-19-2013 at 11:16 AM.

5 Iron mcook is on a distinguished road
    I had the same debate as well. I went with ProTee 1.5 month ago and am almost done with setup (due to my lack of time). Keep in mind setup included finishing the room with subfloor/lights and sim hardware. I can't wait to have it 100% completed!
    A couple other factors that pertained to myself along with everything you listed above. It is important for me to have it for left/right players. My room is 14.3" wide so that eliminated the use of a swivel track for the GC2 since it would not leave enough room for right/left hitters. Some great people on this forum that are very helpful to golf sim. enthusiasts!

The GC2 with all courses is around $13K. Plus HMT is another $6500?

Protee is $6K with all courses. New courses will always be free. Already has E6 option and will surely have E6 II when available.

GC2 is a little bit more accurate but definitely not the holy grail. High handicappers really need the club data. The biggest con for Protee is the setup but if you read the manual and the various setup threads, you will get through it. Most people don't read or understand what they're reading. That's where problems come in.

Online play is a blast and will definitely help your real game. Competition makes be perform better.

One of the claims that GC2 makes is that with the HMT,it is one of the few devices that directly measure the clubface at impact with a series of pictues, where as other units need to extrapolate or measure the clubface indirectly. I wonder if purchasing a GC2 and then waiting to find a used HMT or for a price drop would be an investment.

You will die waiting for a significant price drop from Foresight, I am still waiting for swingbyte to fix targetline and prove accuracy. Video has been a good addition.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I agree with CPA. Price drop or used HMT will just not happen. You have listed the main points. decide what's more important for yourself!

Yeah, maybe I'm being optimistic. This technology has been evolving rapidly. I have vector pro at home, it was a pain trying to get this up and running properly, I'm worried I'll have the same issues with the protee. My intuition and reading tell me that foresight is leading the way for indoor golf sim for its price point. The ability to take pictures and measure the club head as it comes through impact is quite remarkable. I am not sure if even trackman measures the club head at impact and if it did you would need a lot of space to use it indoors anyways.

TM does not measure club face angle at impact. Aside from foresights claims, I've yet to see testing/evidence/comparisons to prove to me that the HMT is worth $6500. Even their hmt tolerances are a bit wide for $6500.

If you're worried about the Protee setup, get the GC2.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    I ended up getting the GC2 instead of the ProTee only because I was fortunate enough to get a deal on a slightly used one as a package deal when an indoor sim business folded. While I'm glad this worked out for me, I'll be the first to admit you really have to make your decision based on YOUR priorities because there ARE trade offs! You've actually outlined them pretty well.

If playing with friends, online gaming, lots of courses and the most realistic simulated putting are your priorities, I can't really recommend the GC2 to you. As ZMax said, the resources are available to help you get a ProTee setup (most of them are on this forum) and ProTee offers good online support, if your biggest concern is the initial installation and configuration.

I'm not as concerned about having a lot of courses, I'm more interested in the club fitting software, portability, options for hitting mats & have a putting area I can use with or without the GC2. I'm kind of a range rat that's interested in club building/fitting as a sideline and the GC2 is perfect for me.

You're the only one that can make the final decision, bit there's a lot of support here on this forum for whatever choice you make!

3 Wood Frans@france is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by drcabral View Post
    One of the claims that GC2 makes is that with the HMT,it is one of the few devices that directly measure the clubface at impact with a series of pictues, where as other units need to extrapolate or measure the clubface indirectly. I wonder if purchasing a GC2 and then waiting to find a used HMT or for a price drop would be an investment.
    I have some phantom camera recordings of a clubhead/golfball impact. Even at 20.000 fps or even 40.000fps it's very hard to measure the exact position\angles at impact.... So yes they might record directly but "measure directly" ....

Quote Originally Posted by wbealsd View Post
    I ended up getting the GC2 instead of the ProTee only because I was fortunate enough to get a deal on a slightly used one as a package deal when an indoor sim business folded. While I'm glad this worked out for me, I'll be the first to admit you really have to make your decision based on YOUR priorities because there ARE trade offs! You've actually outlined them pretty well.

If playing with friends, online gaming, lots of courses and the most realistic simulated putting are your priorities, I can't really recommend the GC2 to you. As ZMax said, the resources are available to help you get a ProTee setup (most of them are on this forum) and ProTee offers good online support, if your biggest concern is the initial installation and configuration.

I'm not as concerned about having a lot of courses, I'm more interested in the club fitting software, portability, options for hitting mats & have a putting area I can use with or without the GC2. I'm kind of a range rat that's interested in club building/fitting as a sideline and the GC2 is perfect for me.

You're the only one that can make the final decision, bit there's a lot of support here on this forum for whatever choice you make!
    I guess this is what makes my choice so difficult. I don't want to be buy a GC2 and then realize that it is better for club fitting than for simulation or that without the HMT it is not as helpful for improving my game. I know where I can buy a used GC2 for $4500. I don't know if that makes the decision any easier. Because I am a high handicapper (23) I want to work on playing more frequently and practicing. I believe that simulating a round would be more enjoyable than simulating a driving range and hitting a bunch of balls. I am under the impression that the GC2 is more accurate for short wedge shots, and I feel that knowing your exact distances on the wedges will help you get a better feel around the green and thus lower your scores.

One thing that would make the decision easier would be is if I could compare the two, I have only used the GC2 at my local Golfsmith and that was using there driving range simulator. I don't know where to find a Protee to demo. Maybe Dave and Busters. I am in the Washington, DC area.
    Last edited by drcabral; 04-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Bogie pingB is on a distinguished road
    If one of the main focuses of getting a sim is game improvement I would seriously consider the protee for the courses and online play. I think it's safe to say they are both very accurate systems, but I've found that playing actual rounds of golf has really helped my game overall.

Where as before when I had the GSA I mostly just hit balls on the driving range. I got really bored doing this to the point that I got burnt out.

Now though I really enjoy playing a round with people online and it forces me to practice all different types of shots and distances instead of just picking a club and swinging away at it over and over.

It also forces me into similar situations as real golf where I get upset because of a bad shot. If I was playing by myself I'd just mulligan and hit again, but playing with other people you've got to take your medicine and move on.

Plus personally i can't stand putting practice, but playing real rounds has me putting various distances at least 30 putts per 18.

If the used gc2 includes software buy it NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    It doesn't include software. But I know where I can get the 12 courses, GC2(2011) with protective cradle and desktop computer for $7500.

And, if you don't like it, sell it to ME!! (yes, I'd buy another one at that price + software)!

Quote Originally Posted by drcabral View Post
    It doesn't include software. But I know where I can get the 12 courses, GC2(2011) with protective cradle and desktop computer for $7500.
    Are those the Foresight (Red Chain) courses, or the CG3? That's not really a bad deal either way, but the Foresight software retails at a higher cost, so it's an even better deal. With shipping, I paid $6500 for mine + 5 courses, cradle, projector and PC + original media, so I was able to register the unit in my name. I fealt like I was almost stealing it! - lol

Bogie pingB is on a distinguished road
    So all totaled it's 12,000? or 7500 includes the GC2?

Only course numbers that add to 12 is base plus tour pack in redchain.

Sounds like a good deal given it will have foresight clubfitting.

Btw that's roughly about $2600 worth of software.

Appears to be a 2012 model. Doubt that it has the Apple Bluetooth update. a little pricy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ForeSight-Sp...item20d1f70606

7 Wood Msuzippy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Appears to be a 2012 model. Doubt that it has the Apple Bluetooth update. a little pricy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ForeSight-Sp...item20d1f70606
    Out of curiosity, other than the Apple compatibility, are there any appreciable differences between the 2012 and 2013 versions? Do you know if the 2012 version can have it's firmware updated to most recent?

Quote Originally Posted by Msuzippy View Post
    Out of curiosity, other than the Apple compatibility, are there any appreciable differences between the 2012 and 2013 versions? Do you know if the 2012 version can have it's firmware updated to most recent?
    Yes, it can. mine is a 2012 model. No other differences aside from the Apple Bluetooth addition.

Yes, it can. mine is a 2012 model. No other differences aside from the Apple Bluetooth addition.
    Thanks

Also, considering that he originally paid $6500, it probably doesn't come with any software despite the description saying it comes with a CD.

Also, considering that he originally paid $6500, it probably doesn't come with any software despite the description saying it comes with a CD.
    I assumed the unit comes with some software and drivers for the PC.

Would ask the question. Does not look like software included.

Would ask the question. Does not look like software included.
    Did yours come with any media at all?

Thread Information