CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    3 Iron bruthru is on a distinguished road

Sony HDR-15R - for golf swing analysis

Wanted to share my experience using the Sony HDR-15R witheveryone who might be in the market for Action Cam to video tape ones golf swing.I struggled finding a camera to meet my needs because of indoor space constraints. I was limited to about 5 feet both facing and rear views. I found the Sony HDR-15R to be my solution. You might find the following information helpfulin your search for a camera to video tape ones golf swing indoors:

1. View angle of 120 or 170 degrees. This wide angle view allows for close up recording. You will get some bowling effect from the wide angles.

2. W-Fi enabled with IOS integration. The camera isits own Wi-Fi device that your iphone/ipad can directly control from the camera settings, view the image seen by the camera, start/stop video taken that allows you to directly download the video files to your Iphone/Ipad device that you can review with multiple golf swing analyzer programs such as V1 Golf.

3. The camera can record up to 1080p. It can handle imaging frame rate from 30 frames to 120 frames a super slow motion. The playback rate is 30 frames.

One the downside the documentation is very confusing. Be careful not to throw out the instruction because the Wi-Fi password to your cam network is on a little sticker at the bottom of the instructions. I recommend you connect the device to your computer where you can download a more user friendly manual in PDF format. You will also need to download to your IOS device a program called Play Memories mobile (from Sony). This becomes your means to allow the IOS device to control the video camera. Also Sony promotes that this camera is integrated with your Android device. I have not tried this connecting this cam with an Android device so I suggest you do your research first before buying.

I have uploaded a video I took using the Sony HDR-15R. Sorry but the lighting in the room was very poor and it was cold at 37 degrees. I keep it dark in the room because of the golf simulator. The video capture rate was set to slow at a capture rate (60 frames).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMNpYee_0Gw

Also the following YouTube video does a pretty good overall review of the camera.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpNV_4v9CI

Hope you find this information to be helpful.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Bruthru. This cam first came to my attention as I saw it on the V1 update log. The V1 info indicated the cam could stream live video to V1 at 120fps via WiFi.

Is this correct? I was going to email V1 but have not had time.

CPA..... It is the same one. That's how I found out about it as well. It can do 120fps but it records to a memory card first on the camera then your pull it down to say the IPAD over Wi-Fi. How it works with the Android (and that's what was used in the press release) I am not sure.

I am sure I read live stream.What is the process/lag to get it to V1?

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the information and the video, bruthru!

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    I am sure I read live stream.What is the process/lag to get it to V1?
    CPA.... you first shot the video which I control (start/stop) from my ipad. I then change the setting on the cam to send, then I pick which video I want to download to the ipad. Then I import the video in V1 from within the ipad. Pretty straight forward. If I had a wish it would be to stream the video directly too the ipad instead of going to the cam first. There not much lag on the download time.

I wonder if you can use the ipad usb adapter to connect directly to the cam so you can stream directly to the ipad?

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    Bruthru,

I have purchased the Sony Action Cam, but I can't get the wi-fi to connect to either my iPhone or my iPad. I am running version 6 of the iPad operating system. I can see the wit-fi network created by the camera - but it will not connect. I have triple checked that I am using the correct password -- any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kball View Post
    Bruthru,

I have purchased the Sony Action Cam, but I can't get the wi-fi to connect to either my iPhone or my iPad. I am running version 6 of the iPad operating system. I can see the wit-fi network created by the camera - but it will not connect. I have triple checked that I am using the correct password -- any thoughts?
    Kball..... be sure you wifi settings with the sony camera is set to 'on' all the time. The default settings is very short on time and the ipad will loss connection via wifi. Also make sure you use the password that came with the camera package.

I did finally get it to connect. It doesn't appear as if there is any way to send the video to your iPad or iPhone why it is in the water proof case mounted on a tri-pod. Would you agree?

I did finally get it to connect. It doesn't appear as if there is any way to send the video to your iPad or iPhone why it is in the water proof case mounted on a tri-pod. Would you agree?
    Kball.... did you install the sony app on your Ipad? This is how you can control the start and stop of the recording on your Sony camera. Did you install a memory stick in the camera? You need to capture your recording and the only way to do this is to install a memory stick in the camera. You then import the video to you Ipad from the camera via wifi. There does not appear to be a way to record directly to the Ipad from the Sony camera. The water proof case is for mounts to tripods or other mounts that one might be using.

Thanks - I do have it working and I can send the video to the iPad. I just wish you could do out without having to remove it from the water proof case. I also have downloaded the Sony App that allows you to control some of the cameras functions.

Bruthru --- I just found a tripod mount for the camera that will work without having to use the water proof case. I found a video on You Tube where someone demonstrated using it with the Sony Action Cam and then I found a web-site that is selling it for @$5 USD. I ordered it and will let you know how it works. The link to the mount is below:

http://www.tmart.com/Mobile-Holder-f...Fc9AMgodcU4AKg

I will see if I can find the You Tube video link and post it as well.

Here is the You Tube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Jekva6UCM
    Last edited by Kball; 03-31-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added You Tube link

I am on vacation this week so I am finally getting a chance to try out the camera. So far I would say mixed reviews. I tried the 120 fps setting and it is really grainy. My lighting is not great, but it is also not terrible. I will try it outside and see if it gets better. I may also see if I can improve the lighting and see of that helps. I also tried 60 fps second - it was better - although not much better than what I can get with my iPhone or iPad. I will have to do some more experimenting, but I am considering returning it.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4AbCCMgf44

I don't get your results so far.

I am my issues must be because of the indoor lighting. I will try it outside tomorrow.

7 Wood dvshx is on a distinguished road
    The biggest inconvenience is setting the cam to transfer mode. You need physical access to the camera. Is there a way to do this remotely?

I have not found a way to do this remotely, but if your purchase the tripod mount that is in my link above you can get at the controls of the camera without having to remove it from the mount.

I also had an opportunity to use the camera outside and the 120 fps was much clearer.

I have not found a way to do this remotely, but if your purchase the tripod mount that is in my link above you can get at the controls of the camera without having to remove it from the mount.

I also had an opportunity to use the camera outside and the 120 fps was much clearer.
    Thanks Kball, I actually ended up purchasing that mount after seeing a youtube video. I have direct access to the button without having to disassemble the under-water casing.

Do you find yourself having to re-establish the wifi connection every time you switch to "send" mode?

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Bruthru. This cam first came to my attention as I saw it on the V1 update log. The V1 info indicated the cam could stream live video to V1 at 120fps via WiFi.

Is this correct? I was going to email V1 but have not had time.

Just to clarify this comment.... I had the same speculation when I first purchased the cam.

There is no direct recording from the iPhone/iPad/Android device. After the swing has been recorded, you walk back to the camera, press 3 buttons to set it to "transfer" mode, re-establish the wifi, then navigate back to V1 in order to configure it for receiving the files. Quite frankly, the process is strenuous.

Putter PeterVH is on a distinguished road
    I have the exact same experience..
    The mobile phone-adapter is great.

But it's hard to believe that a major company like Sony and the people from the V1 software did not come up with a better solution. It can't be that hard to make software that completely controls the cam from the iPad.
    The walking over tonthe cam and pressingball those buttons is not an option.

Does anyone have a better solution with another camera?
    Even using a long HDMI cable would be accetable.

Even the Sony App - Play Memories Mobile - is not much better than the V1 App relative to controlling the camera functions. I agree with everyone - I hope they make improvements to either the V1 app or the Sony app.

3 Wood Frans@france is on a distinguished road
    The availability of that function is the main reason the casio ex-f1 was so popular.

Yeah, which I just sold in order to buy the Sony :-(

Do you guys think V1 will build full camera control in the near future?

3 Wood Frans@france is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterVH View Post
    Yeah, which I just sold in order to buy the Sony :-(

Do you guys think V1 will build full camera control in the near future?
    no, because it not up to V1, it's the firmware in the camera that allows direct control by third party software.

The new firmware removes the annoying beeps. And connecting through wifi seems to work better.
    Well done Sony. Now build switching between Send and Record from my iPad without having to push buttons on the camera.
    Last edited by PeterVH; 04-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    Just ordered this camera. Any good tips? I take it should be using the v1 software? Free version sufficient?

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    Hey all. I have my action cam, and I got the V1 iPad app. But I have no idea how to get this going.

I did manage to use the wifi on my iPad to connect to the camera and I can get the video from the camera to display on the iPad. But I really have no idea how to use this software.

I thought the camera would continuously record and it would sense the strike of the ball and then I can easily click something to see the previous shot. Is this true? Do I need any other software? Do I also need Sony iPad software besides the V1. How am I supposed to set up the camera?

Is there any instructional how to that shows how to set this up? I am sort of lost. :-( TIA.

7 Iron MICHO54321 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    Hey all. I have my action cam, and I got the V1 iPad app. But I have no idea how to get this going.

I did manage to use the wifi on my iPad to connect to the camera and I can get the video from the camera to display on the iPad. But I really have no idea how to use this software.

I thought the camera would continuously record and it would sense the strike of the ball and then I can easily click something to see the previous shot. Is this true? Do I need any other software? Do I also need Sony iPad software besides the V1. How am I supposed to set up the camera?
    Is there any instructional how to that shows how to set this up? I am sort of lost. :-( TIA.
    You will need to put the camera on SEND (manually) after you have recorded the videos and want to see it on the iPad. I have read thats a function V1 is going to add in app so you dont have to manually do it on the recorder

Finally. They got it..

With the latest firmware and the new V1 app you can switch between Recording and Transfering a video without pressing any buttons on the camera.

It works great.

Can it suck the video automatically without further touching the iPad?......or an easy process?

Thread Information