CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pezzer76 View Post
    spoke with aboutgolf today
    About golf has a product more geared as a launch monitor only that can be purchased for the mid 20's. Add another 20+ for the full simulator package especially if you add their camera package and balance monitors etc. They will wiggle from the msrp on the website

I read a few threads on some other sites really trashing the accuracy of the 3 track monitor. ie telling them they were hitting a 3 iron 280( and it wasn't Dustin Johnson).

Bubba, it sounds as though you have some experience with them and feel they are accurate. Anyone else have any comments on their accuracy?
    I thought they had a 3track ISU unit only with MSRP of $12-15k?

3 Wood Frans@france is on a distinguished road
    Sorry no experience with aboutgolf. What I know about them comes from what is available on the internet.

Lob Wedge pezzer76 is on a distinguished road
    This actually was a enclosed bay with mat, screen, etc and I think 5 courses. its not available for a custom build in.

Not sure if they would sell the isu unit as a stand alone. I didn't specifically ask that question.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Plenty of experience with About Golf. Very good system, overpriced but very accurate. I play with an About golf system every other week. Frans is absolutely right that all simulation involves measurements and as important ball flight and collision (what happens when it lands, hits tree, how much it rolls etc) algorythms which are strictly proprietary by each company. Do we know how each are coded, NO. I do know that the experience I have with the About golf is similair to what I get ball flight wise in real life and with the Flightscope and Trackman at our club. At one point ZMax you are right, they had a 3 track cheaper ISU unit for 12K. Not sure where that is at now. They alo at one point were looking at a portable side launch unit like the GC2 but not sure whether they dropped that unit?

They still sell the ISU units bubba22. The local PGA store has about 6 of them. Each of them were displaying the range on flat panels. Getting the ISU is not a bad idea if you want a 3track. You can build the enclosure yourself, add screen/projector, computer, mats, etc...all for a lot less than what AboutGolf charges for a fully built system. That's assuming they would sell the ISU to individuals.

Yes. Just spoke with About golf sales. Base unit and range is $12500 but no courses. Upgrade and add courses with the AG studio $13500 then courses are sold in packs. Premium are 1000 per course. Regular as low as $2500 for 9 courses. Home unit with screen, computer etc and few courses is around 20 grand. system measures ball and club. Ball spin more accurate with marked Callaway balls. Club data needs clubs to me marked.

Bogie pingB is on a distinguished road
    holy hell!!! Save yourself some money and buy a good used GSA on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by pezzer76 View Post
    I've been doing some research and came across this board. It seems as though everyone here is pretty educated about the different launch monitors and different technologies used in them and simulators.

I recently built a home and have a large area in the currently unfinished basement where I have a net and mat to hit and take lessons. It is aproxximately 18 feet wide and well over 20 feet deep with 11 foot ceilings.

I am beginning to plan to finish the basement. My plan had always been to custom install an aboutgolf system there.

My concerns are that as I've improved I really want to use the area primarily as a training aid and simulator second. Is there 3 track system accurate in comparison to a trackman integrated with the e6 software? I'm not that worried about putting and chipping. My main focus is improving my swing with the ability to throw some entertainment in every now and then.

I'm not super budget concerned so I really want your opinion as to what would be optimal without price concers.

Thanks so much

Chris

Chris is not concerned with price, but I can tell you, I am!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Yes. Just spoke with About golf sales. Base unit and range is $12500 but no courses. Upgrade and add courses with the AG studio $13500 then courses are sold in packs. Premium are 1000 per course. Regular as low as $2500 for 9 courses. Home unit with screen, computer etc and few courses is around 20 grand. system measures ball and club. Ball spin more accurate with marked Callaway balls. Club data needs clubs to me marked.
    Thanks for calling bubba22. $20K package is not bad when you compare it to a $20K TM which comes with no courses or putting at that price.

Sand Wedge playsted is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Thanks for calling bubba22. $20K package is not bad when you compare it to a $20K TM which comes with no courses or putting at that price.
    We get it. You don't like TM. Also just in case some people are considering the two, TM actually starts at ~16.5k which includes fitting/range/combine software.

Quote Originally Posted by playsted View Post
    We get it. You don't like TM. Also just in case some people are considering the two, TM actually starts at ~16.5k which includes fitting/range/combine software.
    My bad. Thanks for correcting me. Where did I say I didn't like TM? I would prefer other hardware when it comes to indoor use, but I never said I didn't like TM. Am I upsetting you? Why do you care? Did you buy your TM already? Do you work for TM?

You have a problem with me putting the facts and my opinions out there for people to decide?

Its not that I'm not concerned at all about price. Less would be great. However, an aboutgolf system is within my budget so i'm not using price as primary factor in my decision. I really want this to look professional' The rest of the basement will be high grade finishes so I don't want a box in the corner like I've seen.

I really just want to make sure that I'm getting accurate information in regards to my swing and ball flight as I will be using it mainly for practice. However, I'll also be using it for entertaining and if I'm not sacrificing accuracy I really like the look of an installed aboutgolf system. They are actually coming up with more family applications for the sytem as welll, which helps with the sell to the wife (putt putt and eventually other games) Plus with the high end projector you can plug any input into so it can be used as a home theater or wii studio for the kids as well.

The one that I've seen installed in a home was really cool.

Pezzer you should get an About system. You won't be disappointed.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    I've played on aboutGolf a few times. It is indeed a great system if you have the cash. One advantage in terms of the "look" is that everything can be hidden out of the way. If you do the side panels and baffling right it would look just like another part of the room. The accuracy is excellent. Just write the $50,000 check and be done would be my recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post

Its not all $50,000 HRS. Range from 12,500 to $100,000.

The low lend of that is for the launch monitor only. Custom installs are going to run you 40 to 50 for a classic with 27 courses, ungraded projector and the aGflix swing camera set up. They do negotiate from what pops up on the website. They work with your builder so it is basically seamless with the rest of the living area.
    The widescreen will add another couple thousand if you want it. Tons of extra course packages too. Those can always be added later as well.
    The sim surround is where you get those really high pricepoints. They have screens on all three sides and surround sound effects. ie if an alligator on the bank of a pond to your right crawls into the water you will a splash coming from that direction. They are pretty cool but the price is a lot more and you need a ton of space.

I am probably going to a classic or widescreen and add the camera. I'm looking to install this towards the end of this year. I'll def post some pictures on here when its done.

Pezz I just spoke with the sales rep yesterday.

The low end is not just the launch monitor (in fact they are not pushing that yet because they are still improving its accuracy) but also the ISU. They have 2 ceiling mounted 3 track technology models(ISU and AG studio) that are 12,500 and 14,000. With these you provide your own screen, computer, mat etc and all you get is the range. The 12,500 model is more geared to fitters/golfstores that want no courses. The 14,000 model will allow course additions at the price of $1000 per premium and $2500 per pack of 9. If one wants the screen, coputer and mat (semi-custom install) then it jumps to $22,000 or more.

Yes you are right that as you add on the price goes up. aGflix is $2000 per camera, aG balance is $5000 etc.

However if you do most of it yourself, you can have a system,no difference in accuracy than a $100,000 system for $17,000 with some course. More bells and whistles ----> more money!!!s for the user. As far as the last time I checked, other sytems like HD golf don't do that as I think they start at $40,000+ http://www.hdgolf.com/

I'm not going to spend anywhere close to 100k. from my conversation with the sales rep, it seemed like I could get everything I wanted for between 40 and 50k with a full custom install.

I have to be honest that I'm not very handy (my tool set consists of a cordless drill, hammer, and a couple of screwdrivers) so doing a lot of it myself just isn't going to happen. My wife and i both work pretty long hours and we have 18 month old twins as well so I'm willing to pay some extra to free up my time.

$40-50 K will get you a kick ass custom install. If your not handy not have time and have the money then go for it. Keep us posted what you get!

Bubba,

What's the difference between the ISU and agstudio? Their website made it seem like ~20k was for launch monitor and it was closer to 50k if you wanted simulation (by looking at their packages). If its 14k base for simulation I'll have to look into it more.

They have 2 models aGstudio and ISU. The hardware is similair in that they have 2 cameras for tracking. Its called 3 track due to the points it tracks but all ssytems have 2 cameras. I may have had it mixed up. The ISU is a unit that can add courses. Starts at about 14 without software. http://www.aboutgolf.com/products/is...imulator-unit/ The AG studio is more for hitting bays and stores for club testing http://www.aboutgolf.com/products/ag-studio/ Cost is $12.5 see: aG Studio’s ideal above-the-tee mounting location protects the unit from damage and eliminates the need for ongoing calibration. It is a great solution for fixed indoor hitting bays, creating a hassle-free environment that supports both right handed and left handed swings with the most trusted data available
    I don't think you can add courses to the aG studio, just a range

aG studio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIhkfPASBF0 Anyone know frech can please trqanslate!!

The aG mobile is their launch monitor that is mobile and sits by the golfer http://www.aboutgolf.com/press-media/ag-mobile/ It is also $12.5 but can't add courses. aG mobile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-RzXRKIJg

Here is a good article http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwSEuX02dGk

Thanks for the links. Someone with $40k to blow needs to set up a TM indoor, GC2, and ISU in the same hitting bay and compare the actual carry location of a bunch of shots with what each setup predicted. Would make these decisions a lot easier!
    Last edited by playsted; 02-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Why are you having sudch a tough time deciding. They are all good units!!!

I'm really glad I found this forum. I feel much more confident now.

Thanks for everyone's help and opinions.

I'll be back to post pictures, etc once I have it up and running

Pez what's the verdict? Which sim, About golf?

Here is some of the About Golf courses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkErJ-JnpIs Quite stunning!!!!

Thanks for the links. Someone with $40k to blow needs to set up a TM indoor, GC2, and ISU in the same hitting bay and compare the actual carry location of a bunch of shots with what each setup predicted. Would make these decisions a lot easier!
    No it would not! it would only explain difference in the ball flight model used and the different aerodynamics of the ball model used.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans@france View Post
    No it would not! it would only explain difference in the ball flight model used and the different aerodynamics of the ball model used.
    Combination of accuracy of the measurements and the models used to predict ball flight from the measurements. For a sim setup, all you really need to worry about is how accurate the resulting ball flight/location is which testing like I referenced would measure. Measurements could be spot on but if the ball flight model is rubbish, the setup would be bad for a golf simulator.

Combination of accuracy of the measurements and the models used to predict ball flight from the measurements. For a sim setup, all you really need to worry about is how accurate the resulting ball flight/location is which testing like I referenced would measure. Measurements could be spot on but if the ball flight model is rubbish, the setup would be bad for a golf simulator.
    Use different balls and all bets are off! Most have only 1 aerodynamic ball model. So comparing it to the real outdoor flight using an other ball then used in the models (besides the temp/humity/wind/sea level) is already .......questionable.... At one moment you need to accept the limits of the indoor sim. Noting bad about that.

how much to accept depends on your goals. Some are happy with ball data others are happy with clubdata and there are even some happy with "random" spin and spin-axis tilt data.....

Agreed frans. All indoor systems will be challanged (camera, radar, laser, sensor etc). Sure it depends on your goals and expectations as well as why you are using the sim. I am sure there is a scientific randomized controlled way to determine exactly the most "accurate" indoor sim, however that study probably won't happen and in fact is not really needed.

Thread Information