CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Newtybar is on a distinguished road

Making a Simulator Using Data From the Swing Analyzers (SwingByte, SwingTip, etc.)

With all these new attachment gizmos being released, would it be feasible to make simulator software that takes into consideration all the statistics provided by the analyzers?

These things supposedly give numerous stats, like tempo, swing speed, path, club face angle, etc., so couldn't someone program something using a physics engine to predict some sort of ball flight based on those stats?

Theoretically, it could estimate where the ball is based on where you initially rest your club and then use that as a reference point when it maps your swing to predict impact point etc.

I think it would be fun to have a game made out of it, even a simple driving range app would be cool.

Don't think it would be any less useful than an Optishot.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Without ball data it will not be accurate. I think combined with ball data it would be more accurate however one would have to adress other things such as gear effect that will influence the spin. Without ball data it probably would be as or more accurate than the Optishot. Just a pain to have to switch the unit with every club!!!!!!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Ball data aside, I think the jury is still out the accuracy of these devices. Club face at impact being the worst.

Maybe it wouldn't be too great at judging ball distance or flight height (but it would still likely be reasonable for a fun app), however IF club face was accurate, it could predict draw and slice reasonably well.

It still wouldn't be a completely accurate "simulator" but could be a fun little add on app which would increase the fun of these devices.

To truly predict draw/slice ie. spin you need not just clubface and path but also angle of attack and ball contact on clubface to help predict the gear effect. Once again ball data would be helpful but to answer your question, yes it would be more "fun" than accurate.

Why can't I just have a cheap simulator to work on my game without spending $10,000 bubba?! That's all I'm asking for. Something reasonably reliable (reliable enough not to ruin my swing) for under $500 (not including projector and screen).

Not the optishot as I heard that sometimes gives REALLY unreliable results...saying your swing was a slice when it really wasn't etc.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    I think the answer is because physics is complicated. I'd like ball data + club data, portable, for under $1,000.

I don't know what to tell you New. I have been searching for a Ferrari for cheap as well but no go. The measurement of club data is complex. I am sure the swing analyser will be ok but don't expect the world for $150. I think as a simulator you agree, its not practical to switch with every club. It will be fun however.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Who said you have to spend $10,000? As for something(simulator?) reasonably reliable as to not ruin your swing for $500? It doesn't exist yet. And I don't believe adding sim software to Swingbyte type devices will do it.

Z is right. Good systems for well under that price!

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    To truly predict draw/slice ie. spin you need not just clubface and path but also angle of attack and ball contact on clubface to help predict the gear effect. Once again ball data would be helpful but to answer your question, yes it would be more "fun" than accurate.

Hey Bubba, would the new features of the SwingByte 2 solve this issue?

http://www.thegolfwire.com/stories/278082

"Swingbyte's patent-pending Intelligent Target Recognition (ITR) technology allows users to evaluate golf swings relative to both the ball target and the direction of the club face at address, all while incorporating the benefits of video."

"The addition of target-recognition-enabled video means Swingbyte can now also accurately represent the body's motion throughout the swing and measure key swing metrics, including club path and face angles, relative to the golfer's intended ball target."

Yes but how? With a video at 30 fps from your camera???

Thread Information