100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road

Foresight Sports GC2 Online Play

So I will start this thread in pure hope that FS get their act together and enable online play.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Thread moved.

The "Arrange a Game" forum is to arrange games between forum users. Moved to the Simulators general foum.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

this is the email from FS about online play;

2. The online game play option has been removed due to irresolvable issues in the software code. LAN play has been added instead in order to allow players to join other games when hosted on the same network. In order to allow this option you must select UDP broadcast in the game options menu (password: fss01011).

I presume the LAN play is the same as what yon are all doing in Protee?

Zmax, Bubba can yon assist?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    No, Protee can do both LAN(internal network) and online play(WAN networks). You can actually have 2 or more on a LAN joining a match with others online.

Too bad about Foresight's lack of online play.

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    Irresolvable issues in the software code? What's that? Incompetent software developers at Foresight. ProTee did it. I'm thinking this feature restriction could be worked around by some clever network engineers. I've got a number of ideas running around in my head. Alas, I don't have the GC2 so can't see what they are doing.

It makes absolutely no sense. The Protee Redchain and Foresight Red Chain both uses pretty much the same ball data for simulation. The data and sync over the internet should also be the same. My guess is they think the cost of this feature out weights the gains since most of their sales are to fitters.

The only reason most of the their sales are to fitters is there ridiculous markup on the courses. If they charged $1000 for all the courses their units would be flying out the door! It would be a very tough system to beat. Sometimes greed bites you in the arse

If they charge $1000 for all the courses, they would only be making $950 profit for each software sold.

LMAO, yeah but they'd be making $6000 on their systems to boot

They won't change their ways until it's necessary for their survival unfortunately.

Another example of price gouging is the CG3. That software is currently being packaged with a $300 simulator(ball on tether). Foresight charges $1000 for the base alone. But I will say that these software makers do charge hardware companies differently.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I agre with you guys. It's gonna take some competition against Foresight for any changes to happen. Right now ter is none so they can do or charge what they want.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    I have no idea if it would work with Foresight software but back in the day Hamachi would create a virtual LAN for gameplay and there are other programs like Lanbridger that might do the trick.

Yeah, right along the lines of what I was thinking. Guess it'll take two GC2 owners with a bit of network savvy to try this out.

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    I am a computer guy. This may work or it may not. If the software is doing a broadcast for other foresights to set up the multiplayer than the lanbridge would probably not work.

If its doing some sort of local ip scan in your network then it could work. I never used lanbridge but if you had some sort of private VPN set up where one player would connect to the other players house then maybe it would work.

I should have my foresight hopefully soon when I get it I can look into this further.

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    I am a computer guy. This may work or it may not. If the software is doing a broadcast for other foresights to set up the multiplayer than the lanbridge would probably not work.

If its doing some sort of local ip scan in your network then it could work. I never used lanbridge but if you had some sort of private VPN set up where one player would connect to the other players house then maybe it would work.

I should have my foresight hopefully soon when I get it I can look into this further.
    I was thinking the same with a private VPN, once you have your setup let me know and we can give it a try.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Keep us posted guys, if there's going to be online play available for the GC2 anytime soon, it looks like it's going to come from this forum.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Kinda sad but true!

So how does the GC2 get network connectivity? Wireless or does it have an Ethernet jack?

8 Iron netcam is on a distinguished road
    mmlincon, it would though your computer, the GC2 software is actually doing the network communication and network game play. With a private VPN everyone would use a client on their computer to connect to the VPN and in theory the software would think everyone was on the same local network.

I am going to setup a VPN server for us to test, anyone who wants to give it a try let me know.

Drrrr, brain fart! I guess I should wake up before I make posts.

Quote Originally Posted by netcam View Post
    I was thinking the same with a private VPN, once you have your setup let me know and we can give it a try.

I just got my GC2. Totally awesome device!

Anyways... I can work on this. How do you want to attempt this. Are you an IT guy? I have a complex network at my house so I would think you would have to VPN to me and i'd permission it on my side.

Let me know what you think. Would probably have to be later in the week though as I have a lot of work stuff going on.

Will be in. Detailed instruction required.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    I still have to get networking setup for my sim building, looks like I can get it added as part of my "All Room package from DirectTV." I haven't really cared much about the networking, as I can use a USB drive for updates and without online gaming, there really hasn't been any pressing reason to move on it. If you get the gaming going, I'll get motivated

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    Hi CPA, any luck with the quest for online play with GC2?

Netcam was going to set up network............?

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    Hopefully he has some success. Seems like Foresight don't want to play ball on many different levels.
    E6 ii for example........

I am working on a VPN setup on my network. I am almost done with it. Would require somebody to VPN to me using a Cisco VPN client (that the other person would need to install).

What is the difference between LAN and INTERNET online play when looking at the foresight online play options?

Does somebody want to attempt to try this with me at some point? I have some possible rain in the forecast this weekend which might mean less golf and more time in the garage. I could also attempt to try this during an evening just to see if it works and maybe we can play a few holes (can't play a full 18 in the evening).

Let me know. I am on the east coast as far as the time difference goes.

3 Iron tarmactrr is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    I am working on a VPN setup on my network. I am almost done with it. Would require somebody to VPN to me using a Cisco VPN client (that the other person would need to install).

What is the difference between LAN and INTERNET online play when looking at the foresight online play options?
    I use the cisco VPN client for work.. so if you want me to try it I could try to connect to you when you're ready.

What happened here? Did you guys ever try this and get it working?

Thread Information