CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next Step?

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar

Next Step?

Well, I have a sad tale of driver distance woe and am looking where next I go...

I had a Callaway FT-5 that I used for years...regular shaft. Carry distance 250 and, more or less, centre. It started to shake loose in the head and got fitted at a demo-day with a Cleveland SL270 regular shaft. Told at the time, I was on the cusp of stiff but the numbers said regular worked and I was 56 and not getting any younger. Thus, regular it was. Foudn the shaft a little too light for my liking but ultimately snapped the head off on a driving range and ended the discussion about that one (don't ask how...).

Went to GT and tried a few drivers out on the screen. TM Superfast regular shaft appeared to do the trick. Went 100+ rounds last season and found that my dispersion was much wider than before. Got me in trouble that I had not seen before and the question marks went up as I knew the TM to be a longer shaft than the norm. Headed into Golftown and had 1" taken off for the indoor season. Has corrected the dispersion problem (absolutely dead centre of most fairways) but am down to 200-220 yds. Nice to be in the fairway consistently, like the head to look at, but sure would like to get the yardage back....

So here's the question (and I am no techno-weenie)...do I look for another driver for better distance or do I look for a shaft? And if I look for a shaft, how do I go about doing that?

I have a 10-11 index outside. I am 57, back is not getting any younger and recognize that with age distance will come down.

I had club fittings with Don at Artisan before when I had my Callaway. He suggested that I'd be better in a smaller head (455cc or even less). But I had the distance with the Superfast before I took the 1" off? New driver or new shaft? And, if shaft, how do I do that? (again, I'm no techno-weenie - GT???)

All suggestions and experience welcome...
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I am sure one of the experienced club fitters here on the board will be able to help you. Sounds like the shaft might be the issue. The heads of drivers these days are pretty much maxed out which is why we are seeing focus on adjustment and shaft technology. With that longer shaft you are going to see some extra distance as well as the control issues...kind of a pick your poison type scenarios when looking at clubs with longer shafts.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    As a semi-reformed club 'ho, I'll give you a little advice. When you're looking to replace a club in your bag, that means you should be prepared to have 2 of that club for up to 6 to 8 weeks - the one that has worked in the past and the contender.

Your mistake was to abandon the FT-5/regular shaft combo that worked simply because of a technical issue. So now you have a contender that - even after some adjustments - is not as good what you used to have. I would advise that you check on Ebay and various golf forums and get that same FT-5/shaft combo that worked for you, and then verify that it is better than your current set-up. After a few weeks of testing both clubs, sell the loser. If you're still not happy, go to a club fitter and/or GT and try a bunch of stuff - and take your current club with you for comparison.

Thanks for the advice guys. Funny, eh? Human nature, I guess, to think that the latest and greatest has got to be better than what you currently have.

I'm going to head out with my current driver and spend some time at GT and do some comparisons. I am sure that it is a shaft issue. Need to see if I can find one 'tuned' to me. And, if it can't be found coming off the shelf, we'll look at having one fit to me.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Go to Golfworks here in Ottawa and get on the launch monitor, they have shafts with connectors so you can try different shafts in different heads. Maybe they will help you find the right shaft for your driver. I always recommend people the Xcaliber shafts by Robin Arthur and they sell them at Golfworks. http://www.golfworks.ca/category.asp...035_A_c2c_E_ln
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Go to Golfworks here in Ottawa and get on the launch monitor, they have shafts with connectors so you can try different shafts in different heads. Maybe they will help you find the right shaft for your driver. I always recommend people the Xcaliber shafts by Robin Arthur and they sell them at Golfworks. http://www.golfworks.ca/category.asp...035_A_c2c_E_ln
    Is there a cost to get onto the launch monitor in order to figure this out...assuming, of course, that I am going to purchase the ultimate shaft from them?

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Usually it cost $40 for the driver shaft fitting, but they told me they generally waive the fee if you buy the shaft there.
    I will be going there soon for my driver shaft fitting.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Thread Information