CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SwingTip

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

SwingTip

Let's discuss information on the SwingTip here.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks bubba22!

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    My first question about swingtip....you don't need to input club data ie shaft length. You then only choose the generic club ie wood.
    What is the error going to be on ,for example, swingspeed?

From what I've been reading, the device is CAPABLE of very good accuracy, but PLACEMENT of the device is critical. I'm basing this assumption on the company's published specs, and the conversation on this thread where comment #58 is the "money quote":

"Had a little fun at GolfSmith this evening. Got on the launch monitor in the back about an hour before closing. Store was empty so I spent about 30 minutes hitting a few different drivers with the SwingTip attached for direct comparisons.

It was a great opportunity to get the device dialed in as I was able to get it to almost perfectly match the club head speed readout on the launch monitor. It's pretty amazing how a very small adjustment up or down the shaft will affect the readout. It looks like I was setting it up just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch too high on the shaft for my height. This is where I think the updates to the SwingTIP software will really come in handy down the road so that you can customize your personal parameters.

After just a few tweeks I was swinging at 101-103 on the launch monitor and the SwingTIP was consistently within 1 mph."
    http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...ressions/page4

Caddy golfun is on a distinguished road
    Are they going to be updating at the PGA Show? Heard a lot about an update recently..

Well, here's a review of the Swingtip, and it's NOT good... (post #194)
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...0#entry6318647

Putter PFTC is on a distinguished road
    I posted a month or so ago on a different area of this forum about the swingtip. I had recently bought one and I had some concerns about how it was reading my swing, especialy swing speed. I was only hiting irons due to lack of room, using a swing trainer with a ball on a tether. I was, and still am, only reading 50-55 mph with my 6 iron. I thought that seemed pretty low and thought it was not reading correctly. I finaly had a friend come over and try it. He is a former 7 handicap to my 16 and he usualy out drives me by 40 yards and is probably 1 to 2 clubs longer with his irons. He was reading around 75 mph with my 6 iron. From that I conclude that the swingtip probably is reading fairly accurate and my swing speed is just much lower than I thought. Could also be that I am not swinging full speed because I am inside.
    The good news is that it is terrific at showing swing plane which is vital for hitting straight, consistant shots. My friend has been working on shortening his backswing and was surprised to see just how far the club head was going back. I have hit around a thousand balls mostly irons and hybrids since I got it and I finaly had a chance to go play on sunday. I hit a few balls on the range and was realy pleased with how I was swinging. I hooked the swingtip to my driver and made half a dozen swings. This was the first time I had swung my driver I over 3 months, and I was hitting it straighter than I ever have and Ive been playing for 15 years! My swing speed with the driver was a low of 81 and a high of 93. I typicaly drive the ball around 240 so those numbers seem reasonable.
    On the course I hit the driver straighter than I ever have. I used driver 12 times and I think I hit 7 fairways and missed 3-4 others by only a few yards. My irons were very straight also, distances seemed to be a bit short but that may be because it was in the low 40's.
    I ended up shooting my handicap - 88. If I could have putted and chipped I would have shot in the low 80's. For the first round of the year I was very pleased and I believe the feedback from the swingtip had alot to do with it. I would recomend it to anyone who is working on their swing plane.
    I do hope they upgrade their software though. I can think of a number of ways they could make it even better.

Thanks for the review PFTC! That makes me feel better. I'm still undecided as to which unit I'll buy, but want to pick up something like this before April. I was discouraged by a few recent reviews I'd read about SwingTip but there's a lot to like about it as long as it's reasonably accurate, at the price.

Putter PFTC is on a distinguished road
    For me and most golfers who are trying to improve, I suspect , swing path and plane are very important and the swingtip gives a very good view of both. As I mentioned, the clubhead speed seems to be fairly accurate. I am not real confident that the club face possition reads correct. It shows that I hit most of my shots with an open club face but it doesn't say how open. On the course I hit most shots fairly straight or with a slight fade/push which should mean the clubface is actualy square or slightly open at impact. Regardless, I am happy with the feedback It gives on swing plane and path, anything else is kind of a bonus I guess.

One of the things I like is, it will work with both my android phone and my ipad. I'm really just looking for something that I can use as a supplement to the GC2 to provide decent data for the swing plane and path, so for the price this may be the most "bang for the buck" for my needs. Do you find the tempo information valuable, at all?

Thread Information