100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter alubenow is on a distinguished road

Simulator Questions

Hi Folks,

I've been doing a ton a research trying to determine how I would like to setup my basement and I am interested in some feedback on the following questions:

Thinking that LM will be GC2...

- How far are you hitting from screen (and what is screen size)?
    - I have not found much in the forum regarding rear projection setups, any input? The InFocus IN126ST will project a 9' 5" x 7' image from only 5'5" away (only 1280 x 800 resolution).
    - Anyone with experience hitting into net in front of screen? It seems like this might be a cool setup with a rear projector...benefits would be nice "catch" of ball, and if the net was close enough to hitter, could offer greater loft (club) flexibility indoors (scenario might be screen 12ft from hitter, net 6-8 ft. Golf Channel actually has this setup (net appears to only be about a foot or so in front of screen).
    - I'm thinking of 4:3 setup (9'5" x 7'). Will 1280 x 800 be sufficient, or should I not waste my time with that and go straight for 1920 x 1080?
    - One other question while I have you ...anyone with experience modifying basement ceiling joists in swing area to accommodate driver (longer club)?

3 Iron bruthru is on a distinguished road
    Just got the Gc2 and love it. The setup of the unit works right out of the box. The simulation software is great. I would make sure that you get a PC with a good video card. The distance from the screen is not as important for the Gc2 as with some other radar based units. My screen size is 7.5x8.5 and using 4.3 display. Only about 8 foot from the screen from where I strike the ball. Not sure about your floor structure issue. Do you have a garage?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Rear projection screens are great for movies or TV, if you have the room. But it's a terrible idea for golf simulators. You need to protect the screen with a net in front, which will makes the image look horrible as you will be looking through a net. And if the net fails to hold the ball, like what recently happened to the About Golf sim on the Golf Channel, your screen will break.

Thread Information