+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar

Fujikura shafts in OEM Drivers

I've been wondering for a while now:

What is the difference between a Fujikura shaft (in particular the Speeder 757) that you can get in some OEM drivers as a custom option and those that you buy off the shelf?

When theTitleist 983 series came out, they were available with a "Speeder 757" shaft for a fraction more than a stock 983. The rumor was though, that these shafts were inferior to the "real" Speeder shafts from Fujikura. Is this true? I'm thinking it must be if Titleist is charging only a bit more (say, $100) for a 983K w/ a Speeder 757, than its stock 983K; while the average golf store charges hundreds of $$$ for a single Speeder 757 shaft. If you walk into Golf Town today and buy one of their Speeder 757's (they had 2 in stock when I was there), you will have to fork over $399 + tax. Or you can order one online for $260 US. Or you may be able to find one on E-bay for $200 US if you're lucky. So, my question is: how can equipment companies get away with passing off inferior shafts as the real thing? :shake

I contacted Taylormade and they insist that the Speeder 757 shafts going in their R7's (as an upgrade) are 100% authenticate from Fujikura. I can believe that because they are identical, as opposed to the ones in a 983 that have "Titleist" stamped on them.

I'm wondering all this because I have an R7 with a Speeder 757 that I intend to pull. (I got in over my head thinking I could handle it, but it's too heavy and stiff for me, but that's a story for another thread... :blush ) So, now I have a mint Fujikura Speeder 757 shaft that I need to sell. Is it unreasonable to expect at least $200 for it? It seems a bargain for someone in the market for one...

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    From what i understand, the Speeders that are in TaylorMade drivers are in fact inferior to the Fuji 757 that you can buy at GolfTown. There are made from Fujikura, but i believe the quality is not as high. I know the speeder is selling for over $200 US on the net where you can get a TM speeder for about $100 US.

wahz
    I think you mean from Titleist.
    The speeder that Titleist uses is equivalent to their lower end of the 10+ speeder models. The specs might seem the same, but the quality control and triax are inferior to the 757 or their higher end models. As far as I know, Taylor Made's TP line are the only clubs who are using actual Fujikura models (ie. 757, SIX, Pro 95, etc) as stock, and not ones that are designed for OEMs, such as the shaft in the r5's or other OEM companies like cleveland, nike (unless, of course, you choose to upgrade the shaft).
    Most companies will charge $150-200 for a club to be upgraded to a 757. the r7 TP charges more, but only because you get the extra weights (which retail for $200 alone).

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    From what i understand, the Speeders that are in TaylorMade drivers are in fact inferior to the Fuji 757 that you can buy at GolfTown. There are made from Fujikura, but i believe the quality is not as high. I know the speeder is selling for over $200 US on the net where you can get a TM speeder for about $100 US.
    Not according to Taylormade. Hey they wouldn't lie to me, would they? The Speeder in their R7's and their TP drivers are the exact same shafts, except they paint the TP shafts with special graphics. And the reason you can get a "TM Speeder" for about $100 US is because it's a pullout and that scares people away because they're afraid it was not pulled properly and may be damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by wahz
    Most companies will charge $150-200 for a club to be upgraded to a 757.
    Then my 757 must be authenticate (I hope) because that's about how much extra I paid for my R7.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I don't understand that fear. All of the shafts that i have bought have all been pulls. Never had a problem. I have bought a Diamana shaft for like $150 when they retail brand new for $300US. Most sellers will take responsibility if the shaft is found to be damaged as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    I don't understand that fear. All of the shafts that i have bought have all been pulls. Never had a problem. I have bought a Diamana shaft for like $150 when they retail brand new for $300US. Most sellers will take responsibility if the shaft is found to be damaged as well.
    I personally don't worry about it. I'm just saying that for some people it's a concern.
    Soooooo.... Anyone wanna buy a Fujikura Speeder 757 pullout? Mint condition

Pitching Wedge Vulcan is on a distinguished road
    that's the speeder from the R7 correct? stiff? how much you looking for ?

Ooops I should have updated this post. I was only half serious about selling the shaft. I now think I'm just going to sell the whole club and get an R7 HT instead, and then reshaft that one with the Speeder 652 I have. I have my eye on a few on e-bay and if I scoop one up, I will have to sell this one. Sorry bout that.

Pitching Wedge Vulcan is on a distinguished road
    how much are you asking for the driver?

If I sell it, I will post it in the Lefty clubs for sale. I'll probably ask $550 firm.

Thread Information