100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    This is the Fibonnaci sequence... It is an interesting sequence.... If you take the ratio of 2 consecutive number it is really close the the Golden Number (or golden ratio)

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, ....
    Last edited by Chambokl; 01-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Sorry, but you are wrong on that one. It is a simplification to say that the square root of 9 is 3, but it is precise to say either "a square root of 9 is 3" or "the square roots of 9 are +3 and -3".

A square root is that number which, when multiplied by itself, gives the target number. So, it is either the positive or the negative.
    Trust me Shark.... the square root of a number is always and only positive....

That is why in example 3, you have to use the plus and minus sign in front of the square root!!

Maths.png

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Trust me Shark.... the square root of a number is always and only positive....
    Can we move on now?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I don't believe that we have wrestled this issue to the ground, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Can we move on now?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Still on page 1
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

My understanding has been that one asks for the square root of a non-negative real number one is implicitly asking for the principal square root of that number, which is itself a postive number. However, postive real numbers also have negative square roots. If one wishes to express that mathematically, then a minus sign would be placed before the square root symbol. Finally, if one wanted both the positive and the negative roots, then one would place the + and - signs before the symbol for square root. Is this not correct?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    My understanding has been that one asks for the square root of a non-negative real number one is implicitly asking for the principal square root of that number, which is itself a postive number. However, postive real numbers also have negative square roots. If one wishes to express that mathematically, then a minus sign would be placed before the square root symbol. Finally, if one wanted both the positive and the negative roots, then one would place the + and - signs before the symbol for square root. Is this not correct?
    Yes Mike.... absolutely correct. That is why in the 3rd example.... When using the quadratic formula you have a + and a - in front since the square root will give you the positive answer only!!

PS: You should be golfing and not worry about square roots....

Jean-Guy, don't worry. I have been playing golf everyday day save one since I arrived here on the 29th. I'll hit a few for you.

PS: You should be golfing and not worry about square roots....

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Jean-Guy, don't worry. I have been playing golf everyday day save one since I arrived here on the 29th. I'll hit a few for you.
    Awesome... and make sure they are straight... Oh sorry, you always hit straight (from what I remember)... Enjoy yourself...

Since you like the Fibonnaci sequence here is another one.... Take any 2 numbers and do your own sequence following the Fibonnaci idea.

Example..... I will take 71 and 12

71, 12, 83, 95, 178, 273, 451, 724, 1175, 1899, ....

Now divide 2 consecutive numbers 1899/1175 = 1.61617 which is close to the Golden Number (1.618)

You could spend a couple of nights reading about the beauty of the Golden Number....

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    ...Now divide 2 consecutive numbers 1899/1175 = 1.61617 which is close to the Golden Number (1.618)

And the higher up you go, the closer to the Golden Number, which is, of course, an irrational number.

Thread Information