CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter CL_21 is on a distinguished road

Advice for DIY simulator.

Hi guys, I am an avid golf enthusiast from Sydney – Australia.
    I am in the final stages of planning to build a DIY golf simulator with impact screen and enclosure.

I have read almost every post in this forum (has taken a number of weeks) and I am blown away by the knowledge and experience of the members and their willingness to help others.

I apologise in advance for this being soo long winded but I noticed you like more info than less.

Please critique my plan as nothing is set in stone and I appreciate all criticism good or bad.

When I originally set out on buying not building a golf sim I got sucked in by the Golf Simulator Guys YouTube videos, so most of the design is similar to their setup as I like the simplicity.

I have a $2500 - $3000 Budget for everything and I will be using the DD to start with. As my golf gets better I will upgrade to protee or similar.

The frame will be made from 1” (25mm) EMT Conduit the frame and the dimension will be 10’(w)6”(d) x 8’(h).

The frame will look similar to this.
    Frame.jpg

The enclosure frame will also be made from 1” (25mm) EMTconduit and will extend on both sides
    The enclosure frame will look similar to this
    Enclosure Frame.jpg

The impact screen will be from Cory and I have settled onthe HQ Raw material. http://www.par2pro.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23_35&products_id=98

Cory will supply this at 10’6” x 9’ and I will cut it to size to fit the frame. I will be inserting my own grommets along all edges of the screen and the screen will then be attached to the EMT conduit by bungee balls through the grommets along all edges.
    I would like to use this screen to also watch movies on so if anyone has experience in doing this with this type of screen please comment about picture quality?

The grommets will be fastened to the frame with bungee similar to this.
    Back of screen.jpg

The enclosure material to stop a shanked shot will also be from Cory, I will be using 3 of the Enclosure panels 5’x10’ which already have the grommets installed to attach to the EMT frame again with bungees.

http://www.par2pro.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23_37&products_id=139
    The enclosure will look similar to this.
    Enclosure with top.jpg

I havn’t decided on a hitting mat yet and would like your advice or sugestions about what would work best for this setup with DD sensorpad. I was leaning towards making something rather than purchasing but am open to all ideas.

This will be going into a spare room or garage so space will be limited, because of this I will be using a short throw projector that will be fastened to the ceiling/roof. I am also open to peoples suggestions of this as its not an area that I am knowledgeable in. I think I require a HD shortt hrow or ultra short throw projector with small throw ration .55 .60 etc with 2500-3000 Lumens will this be sufficient and will I be able to get one for600-1000.

One of the most costly factors for me being in Australia is the shipping. Almost all the materials are from the US besides the EMT which is still much more expensive is AUS

Rough Costing
    DD Optishot Sensor (anyone knows a good place to purchase?) - $400
    EMT 1” Fittings from shadeking (including shipping) 24pieces - $250
    EMT conduit approx 130’ (purchased locally at electrical wholesaler) - $300

HQ Raw Screen from Cory (including shipping) - $416

Enclosure panel from Cory (excluding shipping) - $ 75

Hitting Mat approximate - $300

Projector - $600 - 1000

Miscellaneous i.e. bungees and grommets - $100

Total $2441 - $2841
    Please help out and provide me with any comment or suggestion whether they be different materials or better cost effective options they are much appreciated.

Regards
    Chris.
    Last edited by CL_21; 01-02-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    CL you seem well informed. Enjoy your project. You will have a blast. With that budget, the DD is the way to go. Once up you can always upgrade later. Look on EBay for a sensor pad used and or projector. Many choices of projectors, perhaps use Projector central to narrow down some choices based on your distance and then search eBay.

Thanks Bubba22, it's getting exciting now... In relation to the projector I was looking at the Benq MX813ST (short throw projector with ratio 0.6) is full HD with DLP technology and 2700 Lumens... Do you think it will be bright enough or should I be looking at closer to 3000 Lumens as I would like it to double as a movie screen...

Has anyone used this brand projector for a golf simulator and can comment on the quality?

Or perhaps could recommend a good option in the 600 - 1000 range.

Thanks

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    The Benq MX813ST is not an HD projector. It's 1024X768 native. I don't think there are any 1080P short throw projectors in that price range. Do a search on the Optima GT750. It's a short throw 1280X800 projector.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Chris Optoma gt750e is a popular choice here. Mine is mounted on Ttrack to finetune screen size. It is only 720p but some cannot tell. Hooks up to the ps3 on 2nd hdmi port for 3d movies.
    Got mine on Amazon but I think they don't send it to Oz anymore. Try and buy off amazon direct as the postage is cheaper than Melbourne to Sydney!

You are going to a lot of trouble and expense on the frame. Can I suggest you don't need a frame. Can you sew or do you still live close to your Mum?

Suggest you ask the mat question in the DD thread. I suspect they make their own. I found cheap turf in Melbourne and I am sire it will be in Sydney as well. Just a cutout job.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Not sure what they sell for in Oz but the new Benq W1070 or W1080ST could fit the bill?
    They are 'only' 2000 lumen but do remember that you need a lot less lumen on a short throw.

While my Projector is 3000 lumen I use it in Eco mode all the time ~ 2000 lumen.
    When all is blacked out I reduce the lumen even more to 'Movie mode'.

No need to import a hitting mat. You only need a platform to stand on to bring you to the same level as the Optishot.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    The Benq MX813ST is not an HD projector. It's 1024X768 native. I don't think there are any 1080P short throw projectors in that price range. Do a search on the Optima GT750. It's a short throw 1280X800 projector.
    Thanks Zmax and CPA the Optoma projector GT750e looks like a winner.

CPA, I know you have your on a track but typically how far away is it from your screen and what is the width of your screen?

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    Not sure what they sell for in Oz but the new Benq W1070 or W1080ST could fit the bill?
    They are 'only' 2000 lumen but do remember that you need a lot less lumen on a short throw.

While my Projector is 3000 lumen I use it in Eco mode all the time ~ 2000 lumen.
    When all is blacked out I reduce the lumen even more to 'Movie mode'.

No need to import a hitting mat. You only need a platform to stand on to bring you to the same level as the Optishot.
    Thanks syhlif32, we definately have a limited market in AUS... the Benq W1070 has too high throw distance as I don't have that much room... the W1080ST looks good but will be over budget...

For the mat, I was thinking about building a base whether rubber or wood something cheap about 1" thick and then glueing a turf top to the top of it and cutting out area for sensor pad and then cutting the turf where the sensors are only so the device will be hidden?

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CL_21 View Post
    Thanks Bubba22, it's getting exciting now... In relation to the projector I was looking at the Benq MX813ST (short throw projector with ratio 0.6) is full HD with DLP technology and 2700 Lumens... Do you think it will be bright enough or should I be looking at closer to 3000 Lumens as I would like it to double as a movie screen...

Has anyone used this brand projector for a golf simulator and can comment on the quality?

Or perhaps could recommend a good option in the 600 - 1000 range.

Thanks
    I have this projector, its the one sent to me when I bought my Trugolf. It does work good. I wish it was a little brighter, but in my case it needs to project through a piece of plexiglass so that dims it some. If you have it open it is fine.

Chris. First rule with projectors- projector central calculator;

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

You need to choose your space, biggest possible.

thanks CPA, thats a big help. The GT750E projector will need to be 2.4m or 7'10" from the screen, which I have room for...

do you know anywhere in Australia I could get a approx 6.25' x 4' rubber mat from something around 20-25mm thick as I will be using this as the base of the stance and hitting mat and then will put teeline turf ontop of the rubber...

Hi Bubbs, thanks for info on the projector out of curiousity what sort of lighting do you use while playing the Trugolf with this projector?

thanks for the info thus far this is exactly what I was hoping for...

I have a question for people that have a frame setup that is similar... should I use 3/4" EMT or 1" EMT to support the screen and to withstand real ball impact?

thanks CPA, thats a big help. The GT750E projector will need to be 2.4m or 7'10" from the screen, which I have room for...

do you know anywhere in Australia I could get a approx 6.25' x 4' rubber mat from something around 20-25mm thick as I will be using this as the base of the stance and hitting mat and then will put teeline turf ontop of the rubber...
    I would just get correct size sheet of marine ply and put slats underneath to build to correct height then put turf on top
    http://www.bigbrands.com.au/catalogu...1/island-green
    is the turf I have the whole room floor covered-( balls bounce on concrete)

rubber would make it all too spongy.

RE lights - I think I read somewhere the DD likes led floods; I use them and suggest 3 of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30W-Warm-...item19d70fe3e2
    $41 seller in Sydney- Bunnings charge $150 each for 30W!

Re Screen: what are the walls made of? Size of room? Is it permanent? Eye hooks on wall studs or brickwork will suffice with bungee, dont worry about a frame. It doesnt take much to stop a ball. Spemd your $ elsewhere.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    1" EMT. Much more rigid than 3/4". I'm using 3/4" now and wished that I had used 1" instead.

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    Hi Bubbs, thanks for info on the projector out of curiousity what sort of lighting do you use while playing the Trugolf with this projector?
    I still use a lamp behind my hitting area, and there is a 75W bulb directly over the top of my sensor pad. It is bright enough for me but like bubba said it is not a 1080HD projector so if you want it to double as a home theater you will have to buy a different one, but keep in mind those are much more expensive.

Putter jetescamilla is on a distinguished road
    I just purchased the Optishot and am still in the process of debugging to get shots to fly accurately. As for the hitting mats and pads, I've purchased them both from a company called All Turf Mats and I think I spent a total of about $115 including shipping.

The sensor top is the Monster Tee Line Turf Top, it is thick and can absorb a fat shot. It also accepts tees.

I also purchased a combo Stance Mat and Sensor Base Mat to help weigh the sensor down and keep it from moving between shots. It will also prevent me from doing something stupid and hitting the leading edge of the sensor. Note that they also make full size stance mats that have the opening for the sensor so you wont have two pieces. My unit is set up temporarily so I want something I can tuck under the couch when not in use. It appears as if your is more permanent so that may be a better option for you.

My products are still in route to me so I can not vouch for their quality. I figured it was cheap enough that it will at least last its monies worth. I can reupgrade later if I need to. I'll post some actual pictures when they arrive if you wish.

Jesse

Sand Wedge JesseGoodier is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for all of this information, it is a great summary. Do you have pictures of your setup now?

How far from the screen is your tee? How far does your shank wall extend from the screen?

Any advice/experience is appreciated.

Jesse

4 Iron akyyyy is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, any pics of us setup? Is there a thread on how to construct the cage using emt fittings and conduit?

Thx.

Putter wshang is on a distinguished road

interested in DIY enclosure setup

I'm interested in building a setup similar to what you have shown and was wondering what has been your experience with it after 3 years. Would you do anything different if starting over? How well has the screen held up?

I like your setup since the impact screen is smooth and will be good for home theater but heard that it may not be as durable if it doesn't compress much when hit by the ball.

Hi guys, I am an avid golf enthusiast from Sydney – Australia.
    I am in the final stages of planning to build a DIY golf simulator with impact screen and enclosure.

I have read almost every post in this forum (has taken a number of weeks) and I am blown away by the knowledge and experience of the members and their willingness to help others.

I apologise in advance for this being soo long winded but I noticed you like more info than less.

Please critique my plan as nothing is set in stone and I appreciate all criticism good or bad.

When I originally set out on buying not building a golf sim I got sucked in by the Golf Simulator Guys YouTube videos, so most of the design is similar to their setup as I like the simplicity.

I have a $2500 - $3000 Budget for everything and I will be using the DD to start with. As my golf gets better I will upgrade to protee or similar.

The frame will be made from 1” (25mm) EMT Conduit the frame and the dimension will be 10’(w)6”(d) x 8’(h).

The frame will look similar to this.
    Attachment 37415

The enclosure frame will also be made from 1” (25mm) EMTconduit and will extend on both sides
    The enclosure frame will look similar to this
    Attachment 37416

The impact screen will be from Cory and I have settled onthe HQ Raw material. http://www.par2pro.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23_35&products_id=98

Cory will supply this at 10’6” x 9’ and I will cut it to size to fit the frame. I will be inserting my own grommets along all edges of the screen and the screen will then be attached to the EMT conduit by bungee balls through the grommets along all edges.
    I would like to use this screen to also watch movies on so if anyone has experience in doing this with this type of screen please comment about picture quality?

The grommets will be fastened to the frame with bungee similar to this.
    Attachment 37417

The enclosure material to stop a shanked shot will also be from Cory, I will be using 3 of the Enclosure panels 5’x10’ which already have the grommets installed to attach to the EMT frame again with bungees.

http://www.par2pro.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23_37&products_id=139
    The enclosure will look similar to this.
    Attachment 37418

I havn’t decided on a hitting mat yet and would like your advice or sugestions about what would work best for this setup with DD sensorpad. I was leaning towards making something rather than purchasing but am open to all ideas.

This will be going into a spare room or garage so space will be limited, because of this I will be using a short throw projector that will be fastened to the ceiling/roof. I am also open to peoples suggestions of this as its not an area that I am knowledgeable in. I think I require a HD shortt hrow or ultra short throw projector with small throw ration .55 .60 etc with 2500-3000 Lumens will this be sufficient and will I be able to get one for600-1000.

One of the most costly factors for me being in Australia is the shipping. Almost all the materials are from the US besides the EMT which is still much more expensive is AUS

Rough Costing
    DD Optishot Sensor (anyone knows a good place to purchase?) - $400
    EMT 1” Fittings from shadeking (including shipping) 24pieces - $250
    EMT conduit approx 130’ (purchased locally at electrical wholesaler) - $300

HQ Raw Screen from Cory (including shipping) - $416

Enclosure panel from Cory (excluding shipping) - $ 75

Hitting Mat approximate - $300

Projector - $600 - 1000

Miscellaneous i.e. bungees and grommets - $100

Total $2441 - $2841
    Please help out and provide me with any comment or suggestion whether they be different materials or better cost effective options they are much appreciated.

Regards
    Chris.

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    I have a similar set-up at home, using the Optishot2. My hitting mat is as follows:
    http://www.amazon.com/48-SuperMat-Te...rch_detailpage

I cut an opening in it to accommodate the Optishot sensor pad, and it has worked perfectly for several years.

I second the vote for a short throw Benq projector. Well made and reliable.

Have fun with your setup ! I've spent hundreds of hours on mine. Wonder if you can join the Optishot golf tour from down under...

Thread Information