CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: Two or Three Wedges in your bag?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Two Wedge Setup

15 20.55%
  • Three Wedge Setup

58 79.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    I was simply generalizing. Of course, everybody is different, that's golf. I was trying to point out that carrying an extra wedge is more versatile than carrying a 3 and 5 wood where a 4w would fit rather nicely in one's set make up leaving room for that other club, be it a wedge, hybrid, a second putter...

Think about it, how much further are you going to hit the 3 (15*) past the 4 (17*) ?
    I have two sets - one with a 3w, 5w, 7w combo and the other with a 4w, 7w combo. I notice the difference between 3w and 4w - but more importantly its nice to have a 5w that you can play out of short rough. Frankly I am shocked at the number of times I see people use a 3w out of crappy lies.

Very few courses around here have fluffy sand in bunkers. I use a 58* or 60* wedge (depending on the set) for all my greenside bunker shots and rarely wished I had a SW instead. IMHO it is often a mistake to use a SW in bunkers for many of the courses in this region. That being said, I have a 56* SW in the garage in case I feel that I need one.

Just pointing out that there is no "correct" answer to this question Les, and it is far from a "no-brainer". People have to evaluate their own game and the type of courses they play when choosing their equipment setup. I find that its always useful to have a few "extra" clubs at home in case you want to switch things around a bit.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Back to three this season 52,56,60 all 1 deg flat
    Last season I had a 4 wedge set up at one stage 52 (2deg flat) 52 1/2" short (for bump & runs) 54 & 59 1 deg flat
    Each wedge had a specific purpose but this season , I'll start with a more simplified set up , and take it from there .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm still 4 wedges, assuming you count the PW, but the PW and GW are really only for full shots.

I use my SW for probably 95% of my chipping and vary the loft on it by opening the face. I will use the LW if I am really shortsided.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    (52*, 56*, 60*) for me.
    PW plus 52*, 56*, 60*, but just found out this Spring that they are actually 51*, 55* and 59*.
    Which is perfect because my PW is 47*.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

8 Iron manotick is on a distinguished road
    I was using gap, sand and lob but after talking to some pros they said for a relatively new player (entering 3rd year) I would be better off leaving the lob wedge at home and learning to use the sand for as much play as I can, complimented by the gap for longer chipping distances. So I started doing that last fall and was quite happy with the results. Allowed me to add an extra longer club to my bag. So I will continue that this spring to see how it goes.

al m
    I use 4 wedges if you include the pw,but unlike most I treat all them like irons most of the time(85 to 100 yrds) ,except if I end up in the trap.Do most of my pitching and chipping with my hybrids,woods or irons depending on how far off the green I am and pin placement.watch Gary Players golf academy short game show and you will see why.
    i would like to add,I have always drove the ball fairly straight,250-270 yards,hitting the fairway much more often than most but rarely broke 100.After watching Gary Player's short game show about one year ago and adopting the key points he stressed for the average Joe.I actually scored 80 on 18 last year with a 39 on the back 9 that day.Short game is were it is at thanks to the black knight,Gary rocks!
    Last edited by al m; 02-13-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I just use two, a 52 and a 56. Never needed anything different and can make these work for anything under 120.

Lob Wedge gr8glfr is on a distinguished road
    My iron set has 2 wedges included. Pw-45degree and a Uw-50degree. I also have a 54 and 60 degree wedge.
    I took out the 3iron and substituted a 2hybrid. This setup for me allows both long and short game effectiveness and does not leave me with huge gaps between clubs.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manotick View Post
    I was using gap, sand and lob but after talking to some pros they said for a relatively new player (entering 3rd year) I would be better off leaving the lob wedge at home and learning to use the sand for as much play as I can, complimented by the gap for longer chipping distances. So I started doing that last fall and was quite happy with the results. Allowed me to add an extra longer club to my bag. So I will continue that this spring to see how it goes.
    I will counter the pros advice.

For a new player, you are likely to be very inconsistent with longer clubs compared to shorter ones. As an example, if I had you hit 20 4-irons and 20 3-irons for most beginners the shot dispersion/distance would likely be close to identical.

An extra wedge allows you to make a consistent swing with three (or 4) different clubs that results in different distances for each. This is much easier than trying to change your swing to get a desired distance.

I will say that beginners trying a flop shot with a lob wedge is usually a recipe for disaster. The pros on TV make it look easy, but in reality it's a very hard shot. I'm a single digit and will very rarely use a flop shot. I'm just not consistent enough with it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I still use the 55 and the 68 but my gap wedge has dropped from 52 down to 50 and now 48 just to be able to hit the ball around 120 on a full shot but down to 80 yards with a easy three quarter shot. The reason for the 68 is that I'm always on the attack and sometimes shortside myself. The 68 will throw the ball up and land like a dart, even if it's downhill, it rolls very little and I practice with it a fair amount but nowhere as much as I practice with the 55 (Probably 80% of practice shots).

Birdie JWWRMA is on a distinguished road
    50, 54, 58

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree with Les, I keep a 3 wood but my hybrid set up sees the 17* used more for the 190-210 distances which let's me have an extra wedge, since there is more use for me closer to the green. I went to Solus wedges with heavier swing weights and varying bounce this season.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sand Wedge hoganblades is on a distinguished road hoganblades's Avatar
    I use two wedges: 52 and 57. If I need more of a lob wedge around the green, I have learned how to open up the 57 and slide under the ball. I appreciate having a 3 wood, and a 5 wood-lofted hybrid in addition to a 3 iron. A 60 degree, or so, wedge makes no sense to me considering the need I feel to be able to hit a 245, 225, and 215 shot with more confidence of getting the distance right.

Cheers!

Lob Wedge Nodeurs is on a distinguished road Nodeurs's Avatar
    Vokey SM4 52-08 (GW), 56-11 (SW) and 60-07 (LW).... and i am currently looking for a 64-07 for special occasion

7 Wood Fade is on a distinguished road Fade's Avatar
    50-54-58 for me

8 Iron zee51 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I've been 3 wedge (since you're not counting PW) for a long time.

IMHO you are better off having selection for the close in clubs than having two fairway woods.
    Same

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Same for me as well--just bought set of Clevelands but the 54 is low bounce---might try and have it ground. I love the 58 but have to figure out the rollout. I'm not using PW at all since the Clevelands are steel vs Graphite and the distance is OK---still a work in progresss.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Love my TM ATV wedges. I carry two 54 and 58..Just open them up a bit and you have more or less a 56 and 60.

Thinking about getting a 60 ATV for a lob wedge.

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road
    Not sure but your 58 degree will probably do everything that 60 degree would do.
    Do you carry a 50 degree gap wedge to fill the yardage between PW and SW?
    I have found that the number of times I need a lob wedge don't match the number of times I use the other clubs I can replace it with.
    Don't get me wrong I enjoy hitting a lob wedge but most of the time a SW will do the job.
    I would be curious as to what others think.

Lob Wedge Nodeurs is on a distinguished road Nodeurs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodeurs View Post
    Vokey SM4 52-08 (GW), 56-11 (SW) and 60-07 (LW).... and i am currently looking for a 64-07 for special occasion
    I have a 64-07 in the bag now and it's really funny to play !

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road
    I think all golfers have different strengths.
    Some people can hit a 3 wood and some should remove it for a 4 or 5 wood.
    Some people can hit irons. Not me, people joke about how may headcovers I have in my bag. I have a 6 hybrid which works for me.
    Some people love the look of a lob wedge chip or pitch and I will say from my experience it is used way to often. From what I have read the pros say get it on the ground as quickly as possible. That being said there are times when it is needed. Also some people, a small minority are good with a lob wedge. How many times have you watched someone chip this beautiful high chip that hits 10-15 ft short and stops or sculls it 20 ft by and wonder, why didn't they just run it up with a PW?
    Most people aren't consistent in all phases of their game. Your 14 clubs should cater to your strengths and weaknesses. In my opinion.
    I am curious how many of you out there really have 17 or so clubs that you use regularly and rotate through the bag.
    For example, I would put a lob wedge in for Eagle Creek. Maybe another hybrid for distance on a longer flatter links style course. A heavier putter for different greens. Cold weather, hot weather, windy weather driver? Or for some of you that 2 or 3 iron that you have a love hate relationship with!

Gap Wedge Dixie is on a distinguished road Dixie's Avatar
    50, 56, 60

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    If you count the PW, 4.

PW, GW, SW, LW
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I also went to the 4th wedge this year, I took out the 5w and 3h and added a 17°h and the 58°, my set-up is 46, 50, 54, 58. It has worked out really well, I don't use the 58 as much but it comes in handy at least once a round.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Also have the PW, GW, SW, LW set up
    I like to call it a power fade

Thread Information