CorporateGolfXtra 2023

View Poll Results: Two or Three Wedges in your bag?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Two Wedge Setup

15 20.55%
  • Three Wedge Setup

58 79.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Question 2 or 3 wedge setup

What's everyone using? I'm currently using 3 but entertaining the idea to going back to 2.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I've got 4 - PW, SW, GW, LW. Couldn't go without ....
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

I should have mentioned the PW as not part of my count since the PW is part of an iron set.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've been 3 wedge (since you're not counting PW) for a long time.

IMHO you are better off having selection for the close in clubs than having two fairway woods.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

5 Iron DoctorP is on a distinguished road
    I've got 3. (52*, 56*, 60*) but I think I'm gonna add a 5 wood and bend the 56* to a 58* and make it 2.

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    56, 60 and 64 vokeys.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    (52*, 56*, 60*) for me.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

I currently play 52, 56, and 60 Taylormade RAC TP with the Z Grooves. The odd thing is the grooves aren't worn out or anything but having tried newer wedges, I've got more spin than my current clubs. Shouldn't this be the other way around?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I currently use 3 (56, 52, 60) and have been for a number of years. I like having options in the scoring area.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I am 50, 54 and 58 as these lofts better match my irons (46* pw). Probably doesn't add too much to my game, but they are higher percentage clubs for me than the 3 or 4 iron I dropped to make room. I go with a 22.5* hybrid to cover the 3/4.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    50, 56, 60 for me. The 50 is for ~100 yds in as I don't like hitting 56 or 60 from the fairway. I use the 56 and 60 around the greens a lot and both from the sand depending on the softness and shot required. Oh and the 60 performs a mean flopadopolous when I need to get it up and stop it fast to a tight pin.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'm a 52/57/62 guy, couldn't live without three wedges.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I go with 50-54-58. Went to this setup a few years back and find that it is really versatile.

Lob Wedge Rego is on a distinguished road
    52-56-64 for me. I don't use the 64 very often but I've saved my self a few times with it.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    TM 52, 56, 60 for me. However, at the end of the year last year I was just using my PW with great success off the fairway. I might lose the 56 and keep the others for rough, sand.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    (52*, 56*, 60*) for me.
    Same.... I put the 5 wood or 3 iron away to make room for 3 wedges. This leaves a big gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron (40 yards) or 5 wood and 4 iron (30 yards).
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    In the spring, I think I'm going to try the saucer pass chip that James from the Big Break Greenbrier was using. (at least so there's something u can do when on deadpan, which happened a lot last year with the drought)

If it works out I may keep my three wedges.

http://www.golfcanada.ca/blogs/rcga-...rticle2840.ece
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I use 2 wedges - a 52* and a 58* in one bag and a 52* and a 60* in the other. I use the lob wedge for virtually all bunker shots.

I have a 56* wedge that I only put in play for Golf-O-Max.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    3 wedges, 52-56-60

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    My PW is 47* so I carry a 50*, 54* and 58* wedge...
    I am curious, do you guys carry matching wedges or are they all a mix?
    My 54 and 58 are the same models, but my 50* is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    (52*, 56*, 60*) for me.
    After loft and lie check my wedges are 51°, 55°, 59°; which fit my gaps perfectly.

Mine all match, I used to mix and match but not since I bought the Callaways.

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Mine all match as well. I definitely did start out with a mish mash of wedges before I spent the cash on my vokeys. I know better golfers than me who don't use matching wedges, so it's definitely personal choice.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    52*, 56*, 60* Clevelands for me.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Ya might wanta take a look at the stats for PGAer's hitting greens from 200+ and pro rate according to your hdcp.

Regardless on the track they are playing, most pros carry 3 wedges.

It's a no brainer.

Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar
    I'm down to 2 for now. Playing a 54 & 58. Dunno if I'm gonna look for a gw just yet. My plan might be to extend the 54 to my standard .5" above standard to maybe squeeze a couple more yards out of that club.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Ya might wanta take a look at the stats for PGAer's hitting greens from 200+ and pro rate according to your hdcp.

Regardless on the track they are playing, most pros carry 3 wedges.

It's a no brainer.
    Les, you should know more than anyone that an amateur golfer should not make equipment choices based on what the pros do. It may be a no-brainer for pros who average 280 yards + off the tee and typically use a 5-iron or less for 200 yard shots - but for everyone else, it shouldn't be.

Ideally I would like to have the following clubs in my bag: Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 7-wood, 4-iron, 5-iron, 6-iron, 7-iron, 8-iron, 9-iron, PW, GW, SW, LW and putter. That's 15 clubs. I'm not allowed to have 15 clubs - so one club has to go.

My usual drive is probably around 240. I can reach short par 5's in two with driver and 3-wood. For par 3's > 200 yards I typically use a 5-wood or 7-wood depending on the wind conditions. I prefer a low-profile 3-wood so I can use it off the fairway - which means I almost never use a 3-wood from the rough. I don't think this situation is unusual for most amateurs (or shouldn't be).

So why would I want to give up a fairway wood for a SW, when a LW works better for 90% of the greenside bunkers I play from and it is a lot easier to play a 3/4 GW for in-between shots than a 3/4 fairway wood?

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Les, you should know more than anyone that an amateur golfer should not make equipment choices based on what the pros do. It may be a no-brainer for pros who average 280 yards + off the tee and typically use a 5-iron or less for 200 yard shots - but for everyone else, it shouldn't be.

Ideally I would like to have the following clubs in my bag: Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 7-wood, 4-iron, 5-iron, 6-iron, 7-iron, 8-iron, 9-iron, PW, GW, SW, LW and putter. That's 15 clubs. I'm not allowed to have 15 clubs - so one club has to go.

My usual drive is probably around 240. I can reach short par 5's in two with driver and 3-wood. For par 3's > 200 yards I typically use a 5-wood or 7-wood depending on the wind conditions. I prefer a low-profile 3-wood so I can use it off the fairway - which means I almost never use a 3-wood from the rough. I don't think this situation is unusual for most amateurs (or shouldn't be).

So why would I want to give up a fairway wood for a SW, when a LW works better for 90% of the greenside bunkers I play from and it is a lot easier to play a 3/4 GW for in-between shots than a 3/4 fairway wood?
    Perhaps a little more detailed post was required for some in order to understand the logic. I didn't think I needed to be long winded about the obvious.

PGA tour pros hit the green from 210 yrds out 50% of the time.

Average Joe would be lucky at best to hit the green. A miss probably means some kind of wedge shot. A 3rd wedge would give you more options.

A wedge is the 2nd most used club in your bag after the putter.

How many times do you pull out a 3w during a round ?

The majority of amateurs will hit a properly fit 4w staighter, more consistent and in most cases, further than a 3w.

If an amateur is in the rough, 3w distance from the pin, he should be laying up. If he has a 4w, is odds increase tremendously in hitting the shot due to the increase in loft.

You under estimate the value of a well suited 54 to 57 deg wedge. This club has typically more sole bounce and heavier head and swingweight. This club is designed for nasty lies in the rough and fluffy sand for witch a LW with less bounce and perhaps a narrower sole will not get the job done.

It is nice to have the option of three wedges, but I could probably do without three. On a par five I'm hitting driver, then hybrid or mid iron into the green. If I miss the green, which is say obviously more than likely than a Tour Pro, I won't be a long wedge from the rough. I'm not playing the US Open and even some of the toughest courses I've played have rough that is playable around the greens.

The time I see the three different wedges to be very important is if you have many shots from 100 yards and in, and need the distance difference.

I'd say 90% of the greenside bunker shots I use my 60 degree wedge. It's VERY rare that I use all three wedges in the same round.

BTW-I use my 3-wood off the tee on almost every hole at my course, with the exception of two par 5's that are fairly straight....and of course the par 3's.

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    It is nice to have the option of three wedges, but I could probably do without three. On a par five I'm hitting driver, then hybrid or mid iron into the green. If I miss the green, which is say obviously more than likely than a Tour Pro, I won't be a long wedge from the rough. I'm not playing the US Open and even some of the toughest courses I've played have rough that is playable around the greens.

The time I see the three different wedges to be very important is if you have many shots from 100 yards and in, and need the distance difference.

I'd say 90% of the greenside bunker shots I use my 60 degree wedge. It's VERY rare that I use all three wedges in the same round.

BTW-I use my 3-wood off the tee on almost every hole at my course, with the exception of two par 5's that are fairly straight....and of course the par 3's.
    I was simply generalizing. Of course, everybody is different, that's golf. I was trying to point out that carrying an extra wedge is more versatile than carrying a 3 and 5 wood where a 4w would fit rather nicely in one's set make up leaving room for that other club, be it a wedge, hybrid, a second putter...

Think about it, how much further are you going to hit the 3 (15*) past the 4 (17*) ?

Thread Information