CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Pitching Wedge espresso is on a distinguished road

Pull-up or Retractable Impact Screen??

Hello guys, I'm looking for ideas or alternatives.

The only suitable space for my golf simulator would be my 2 car garage since it has a 11' ceiling. The only problem is the setup needs to be removable so I can park my cars. I was thinking a retractable impact screen hung from the ceiling. When in use, I just pull it down and pull a net over that can be strung across the back.

Thing is, I've yet to see anyone post pictures of a retractable impact screen. I'd like to consider the 'PR-20 White' or 'Archery-W-Golf' screen material. I just need to source the retractable housing or maybe even build one. I much rather purchase an affordable housing though.

Has anyone purchased or made one for their impact screen? Just looking for ideas at this moment to see if anyone has successful used a retractable impact screen.

Lob Wedge jwright is on a distinguished road
    Try this link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_oU...KL5_Q&index=73

it is a video on youtub from put on by par2pro. Not sure if a retracable screen is possible????

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    You can get even less fancy for less - two eyebolts on either side, run a cord up from the bottom of the screen and when not in use pull up, it will fold it in half and you can pull in your cars.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Put the screen on wall with memory foam behind it, make the side netting/ protective curtains retractable

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    I have set mine up on a hinge. Used a HD hinge mounted to the 10 ft conduit pipe and mount the hinge to the wall. When not used the pipe hinges along the wall and there is a bracket at the opposite end of the hinge to hold the pipe in place against the wall.
    {hinge--------------------------------------] -bracket to hold end while put away.

When I use the sim I remove the pipe from against the wall and swing it out. I have another support from the ceiling that the pipe now rests in when in use (J type support). As for the screen, it is attached like you would a shower curtain with grommets along the top and I use HD zip tie's (loose) to hold and slide along the pipe. I use a small bungie cord to pull the top of the screen tight and clip it into the end of the pipe and the last grommet. This keeps the top tight and then another one needs to be rigged up for the bottom corner or where ever it works best. To put away I slide the screen back toward the hinge end and swing the pipe back to the wall bracket.

My screen is a soft mesh material that does not wrinkle. If yours needs to stay stretched out then you could leave on the pipe and swing to the wall as is.

So instead of a roll up mine is a swing over...

I've never seen any of these in person. Not sure if samples can be requested either. For $150ish, I'm leaning towards the PR-20 just to get started and keep cost manageable. If it gets heavy use, maybe I'll upgrade but for the nicer PQ screens, they're close to double the cost right?

Another question I had for those with sims. How far is the ball placed from your impact screen/netting? Is there a preferred or ideal distance? 6/7/8 feet?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by espresso View Post
    I've never seen any of these in person. Not sure if samples can be requested either. For $150ish, I'm leaning towards the PR-20 just to get started and keep cost manageable. If it gets heavy use, maybe I'll upgrade but for the nicer PQ screens, they're close to double the cost right?

Another question I had for those with sims. How far is the ball placed from your impact screen/netting? Is there a preferred or ideal distance? 6/7/8 feet?
    You can request samples but they're too small to give you a real idea of how it would look. As Goat said, an HD projector will be wasted on the PR-20. The CDG screen($300) is better but will require a net behind it. You'll want a net behind any screen anyway. Protee screen ($500-600) is very good and is included with the top package. Cory's HQ is the best but more money.

If you're on a budget, start with the PR-20. When you upgrade, keep the PR-20 behind the new screen for support and less bounce.

Hybrid jhp016s is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    You can request samples but they're too small to give you a real idea of how it would look. As Goat said, an HD projector will be wasted on the PR-20. The CDG screen($300) is better but will require a net behind it. You'll want a net behind any screen anyway. Protee screen ($500-600) is very good and is included with the top package. Cory's HQ is the best but more money.

If you're on a budget, start with the PR-20. When you upgrade, keep the PR-20 behind the new screen for support and less bounce.
    Hey Zmax. You say the Protee Screen is very good, but I blew a hole in mine after six months. I just have it hanging from my ceiling with eye hooks and bungeed at the bottom. Do you think its a set up problem, or just the fact that the ball hits in the same spots over and over again ( i use real golf balls only).

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have so much crap in my garage that there's really no wall space to hang a screen on the wall so it has to be hung from the ceiling and 4-5' from the wall due to existing shelving. Hence the desire to have some sort of retractable screen. Other option is just using a normal retractable projector screen and have an impact net in front of it. I guess like the Golf Channel but not having a rear projector. Anyone project an image through an impact net? Is the shadowing really that bad?

SFR - What impact screen material are you using? I like the fact that you can store it and not have it wrinkle. I can simply do two ceiling rails and have the back the netting then the front the impact screen. Just add a few bungee cords to stretch it when in use. Currently looking at either 'PR-20 White' (8'4"x10') or 'Archery-W-Golf' (this one can be 10'x10' with no seams) screen material. About $150ish for either with web bound edging.

Also, can anyone tell me if this 'woven 7/8" netting' can be used as an impact net for real golf balls? I would like to avoid the possibly of the ball going through on a shank and damaging something in the garage. Thanks for any info.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by espresso View Post
    SFR - What impact screen material are you using? I like the fact that you can store it and not have it wrinkle. I can simply do two ceiling rails and have the back the netting then the front the impact screen. Just add a few bungee cords to stretch it when in use.
    Cory had some samples to test and one was canvas and the ball went through it and the other is a mesh like fabric. He may not be going with that one but he may be able to say if it is similar to the one you are looking at. I don't mind the picture quality however I have a short throw and 2500 lumens. I mounted the canvas one behind to help deaded the ball and with the fabric not real tight helps lessen movement on impact.

I would assume projecting through a net in front of the screen would create too much shadow and not be as good.

Have you seen the PR-20 in person? It works great for impacts but picture quality is poor compared other screens.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Yes I have the PR-20, I love it but I also have a 1800 lumen, 4:3, 480i resolution image being displayed too.

If I went up in resolution and brightness I'm sure that an HD screen would be worlds better. But the PR-20 is definitely worth the money. 2 years and going strong with winter leagues every week. I love it.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    PR-20 is a great price/performance combo. True you are not going to watch movies on it but it is fine for sim use and very very quiet.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the PR-20 for beginners. Does anyone have close up pictures of both Vinyl and Web bound edges? Is there a preference?

And as for netting, is the 7/8" woven golf netting a popular choice or should I go with a smaller opening?

3 Wood Frans@france is on a distinguished road
    I use a archery netting, cut to custom size and eyelets around all 4 sides. Extremly strong! I also project on it.

I've had mine for almost a year with no issues. I use bungees at top, sides, and bottom corners . Average swing speed of 100. The Protee is a double screen. You made a hole thru both screens? I also have a net behind mine.

Hitting the same spot over and over again could do it. Damage is usually caused by scuffed balls. Check your balls, especially after a wedge shot.
    Last edited by ZMax; 12-21-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Hybrid jhp016s is on a distinguished road
    I only got through one layer. But then every time i hit a ball it gets stuck in between the layers and i have to fish it out! I will try more bungees for forgiveness and as well as change out the golf balls more often to see if that helps. I have an h-cam on the way, once i get t set up, will try and see if i can join you guys for some online play.

You should turn the screen around. Put a net behind it for more support.

We can always use more online players. Read the first post of the online play thread.

Putter borrone821 is on a distinguished road
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but did anyone come up with a good solution to hinging or retracting a screen? pics would be great. I'm about to build mine over christmas vacation, and trying to figure out how to either hinge it to the ceiling, or retract it up. Plan is to build the same frame as golfsimulatorguys but find a way to hinge it to the ceiling so I can put it up high when I need to pull the car in.

Thanks guys
    Jim

Lob Wedge gwear55068 is on a distinguished road
    At one point I built my frame about 2 inches shy of the ceiling then screwed 3 eyebolts into the ceiling joists and threaded the top rod of the frame through them (I had to put them in a vice and open up the eye a little to get the EMT through). I had 2 hooks in the ceiling, designed to hang bicycles, that would hold the screen when hinged up. It was kind of a pain to hinge it up because its so large and awkward but it worked.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I believe there is a Youtube video showing how to mount an impact screen to be stored on the ceiling.

Dax,
    Any idea where I can find a link?

I hope the above video link works

For some reason I cannot insert a link as I do not have permission to perform the action. The following is the link though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_oUGa5xr8

Thanks so much. That's exactly what I was thinking, just trying to understand the hinge to the ceiling

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar

New Retractable Impact Screen (with Netting)

Hey All,

Was just at the PGA Show and found an awesome new retractable screen:
    https://youtu.be/rPfEWhctdbo

You can find our more info here:
    http://www.par2pro.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=372

Hope that helps give you all more options!

Happy Golfing!
    Cory

Putter ErikaDeanda is on a distinguished road
    I am using the Epson 3100 retractable screen. The setup takes approximately 4 minutes. Once set, I found the screen to be almost completely horizontal. If it's not horizontal, you can actually adjust it a bit by moving it to the top hook.

$59, the picture quality is very good. The film has good contrast and clarity. Dark scenes look dark, but still retain details. This may not be suitable for 4k projectors because the weaving on the screen may not be fine enough and will interfere with 4k resolution. In 1080p though it is good enough.

Thread Information