+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

3-Wood Recommendation....

So I'm looking for opinions on a 3-wood for next season. Please keep in mind that I use my 3-wood primarily off the tee. I think I used my 3-wood once this year from the fairway and it was because I mis-hit my drive on a par 5 at Greyhawk, and I wanted to go for it in two.

So I have been leaning towards the RBZ, but haven't found a respectably priced head anywhere yet. I haven't hit anything else besides my current setup, which is a Ping G10 with aftermarket Matrix Code-7 shaft.

BTW...I don't have any real good reason to change other than I am just interested in trying something different.

So bring on the recommendations.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    RBZ is great and I love my R9. I'm now bagging 2 R9's a 13 and a 15 degree. I'll take this out on tighter courses where I don't really need driver. Consider a 13 deg 3 wood if you are only going to hit it off the tee.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I might only get a 15 degree or 14.5. I already hit my 15.5 further than most of my friends hit their drivers.....

Gap Wedge Magician is on a distinguished road
    Titleist 910F is a hot club, it's what I have in the bag and I absolutely smoke it and with good consistency when it comes to accuracy.
    Also consider the Ping i20

I am basically anti-Taylormade though so I am slightly biased, I have tried the RBZ 3 wood, it adds maybe 3 yards to my total and is harder for me to shape the ball.
    I make golf balls disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    Titleist 910F is a hot club, it's what I have in the bag and I absolutely smoke it and with good consistency when it comes to accuracy.
    Also consider the Ping i20

I am basically anti-Taylormade though so I am slightly biased, I have tried the RBZ 3 wood, it adds maybe 3 yards to my total and is harder for me to shape the ball.
    My concern with the 910F is that it's very shallow. It would be great for off the fairway, but I find myself hitting down on the ball on the tee box if I tee it low.

Did you try to TP or Tour version of the RBZ?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I had the 910F and my R9 outperformed it. I also had the RBZ Non Tour version and I didn't like it off the deck but it was great off the tee.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gap Wedge Magician is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    My concern with the 910F is that it's very shallow. It would be great for off the fairway, but I find myself hitting down on the ball on the tee box if I tee it low.

Did you try to TP or Tour version of the RBZ?
    I can definitely see how it can be too shallow for some.

I tried the RBZ Tour TP? The TP is the tour isn't it? It was a nice club I just couldn't shape the ball as well as I can with the Titleist, and for 3 yards extra in distance it wasn't worth it. Definitely try out the i20. That's a beauty 3 wood as well. But it's golf so whatever works for you
    I make golf balls disappear.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I tried the 910FD against all of em and found it had the best combo of length and forgiveness off the tee. I have no problem ripping it off of a decent lie in the fairway either, just need to take a bit of dirt.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Try a Titleist 910Fd instead of the F. The Fd is deeper and much better for off the tee.
    I had a 13.5* 906F2 that was pretty close to a driver off the tee for me.
    913Fd is coming out in January so there will be deals to be had on the 910s (although you gotta try the 913, its sweet).
    The 906 line is what Rory kept switching back to until the 913s were released on tour before the playoff events.
    Even I've never heard of me

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    TEE CB 4/5
    Titleist 910/913Fd
    RBZ (I would get it painted black though)

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Wishon 949MC:

http://wishongolf.com/designs/fairway-woods/949mc/

Les (aka downhillslider) can build one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Try a Titleist 910Fd instead of the F. The Fd is deeper and much better for off the tee.
    I had a 13.5* 906F2 that was pretty close to a driver off the tee for me.
    913Fd is coming out in January so there will be deals to be had on the 910s (although you gotta try the 913, its sweet).
    The 906 line is what Rory kept switching back to until the 913s were released on tour before the playoff events.
    Is there a big enough difference between the 913 and 910 fairways. I didn't notice anything except a bit of a different sound from the drivers.

I found the 913 wood to feel a bit better and get better numbers than my 910 when I tried it during a demo at GT. I'm guessing this was mostly due to the new shaft (real Diamana in 913 vs made for Titleist in 910). I know the 913 driver face is hotter on off-centre hits but am not sure about the 3 wood.

I'll look into it. The odds of me using a stock shaft in any head are pretty slim to none. I'd much rather know exactly what the specifications are and use a non-made-for shaft. I didn't mind the 910f when I tried it out, but as I mentioned above, the shallow face off the tee for me is not very good news.

You should definitely give the Fd model a try with some different shafts.

Driver Brent4Hire is on a distinguished road
    I don't know if you've tried them or not, but I use a Cally Octane Diablo Tour. I switched to that one from my beloved old Mizuno MP001, and after all the ab'ing I've done with other 3w's, I still haven't found anything to knock it out of the bag. It's easy to take off the turf, and is basically a 2nd driver off the tee. The feel is actually very good for a Callaway as well. I WANTED to like the new Adams more, but I guess I'm too used to the feel andflight of this one. Might be worth consideration.
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, ya might as well dance.

Thanks for all the input. I think I have an in plastic 910Fd lined up. So we'll see how that goes come Spring!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    FYI - if you watch the pros hit three wood off the tee, a lot of them actually use a descending blow on the ball. Not necessarily up like a driver.

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    FYI - if you watch the pros hit three wood off the tee, a lot of them actually use a descending blow on the ball. Not necessarily up like a driver.

I noticed that. Whenever I've used a more shallow faced 3-wood, I end up with A LOT of backspin compared to something with a deeper face. That's my main reason for this choice to be honest. It's almost as though I'm using an old school balata ball!! HAHA!

Never mind!! Seller backed out and now I'm still on the hunt for a 910Fd. I'm really only after the head so if anyone has a lead on one, must be in great shape, please let me know. There's a finder's fee involved.

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    3 wood is a funny club in my opinion. I totally understand why you often see pros discussing what's in their bag and they laugh at the old 3/5 wood that might be sitting there and how they can't seem to replace it.

I believe that 3 wood needs to be one of your most versatile clubs. You need to have the utmost confidence in it and what it can do for you. A solid, in the fairway tee shot but at a good distance. Workable high/low, left/right. Easy enough to hit off the deck to go for longer holes or save yourself from a 'bad' tee shot if need be.

I found a shaft that I love the feel up AD DI series and went out to find the head that I liked best. I hit a ton of them:

RBZ Tour - Felt like hitting a tin can
    Razr Hawk - Set up beautifully and got good numbers
    910f/fd - Had them before and I still love them

Low and behold the Cleveland Mashie Fwy 14* won out for me. Just looked so nice and compact (almost like a large hybrid/small fw), the tumbled finish on it gives me confidence that I can rip it from the deck/light rough and not worry about sky marking a shinny finish. The glide rail on the bottom provides me with the versatility I need to hit it from a variety of lies or from the tee tee'd up low (which I like) but not get worried about having it get caught up in the turf. Not to mention plenty long - I was hitting it in the area of 270/280 in the sim with great numbers (understanding that the sim is to be taken with a grain of salt). It just felt so solid at impact which I loved, something about the solid twack that I love which was completely opposite to the RBZ.

Again, toughest club to find and love in my books. There is also something about adjustability hosels in a 3 wood that I don't like, for whatever reason they just seem less solid. I think you really need to try a whole bunch and sooner or later one will click.

I suppose for $140 it's not really a very expensive experiment if anything....

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I suppose for $140 it's not really a very expensive experiment if anything....
    Clear your inbox and msg me

5 Iron DoctorP is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sabzor View Post
    3 wood is a funny club in my opinion. I totally understand why you often see pros discussing what's in their bag and they laugh at the old 3/5 wood that might be sitting there and how they can't seem to replace it.
    totally agree. the fairway wood in a low handicap/pro is typically their favourite club in the bag and is also very rarely the newest club in their bag. i play a taylormade 200 steel 3 wood. i have owned an R11 and RBZ and they couldn't come close in consistency and feel that my 200 steel could. i also at 1 point owned a TM V-Steel 5 wood as well and i always kick myself for letting it go. These 2 models just felt so solid and had a great sound and couldn't be easier to hit off the tee and fairway. And you can find them for under $50 no problem. (currently looking for a left handed V-Steel 5 wood if anyone knows of one for sale)

5 Wood Naman is on a distinguished road Naman's Avatar
    What you guys think of the Adams XTD speeline super fairway woods?

Thread Information