100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice please

Lob Wedge IMAway is on a distinguished road

Advice please

Thinking about building a bonus room above my garage. This room would be about 24x20 feet. It would be built for the sole purpose of having an indoor golf simulation room. You guys here have WAY more knowledge than me when it comes to simulators. I have spent several hours reading thru the threads on this site but it can be a bit overwhelming. So I figured I would ask some specific questions and see if I can figure out what's best for me. Here is what I am looking for -

1. Would only be using the simulator for playing rounds of golf and the driving range.
    2. Don't really care about club data at all. For me, the ball flight is enough information.
    3. ACCURATE ball distance and flight (trajectory & fades/draws)
    4. Somewhat realistic short game/putting
    5. Ease of use/set up - do NOT want to have to put black lines on the ball

So, after reading alot of info on this site, it would appear to my uneducated self that the Foresight GC2 would fit the bill for me. But even that unit I have some questions about. It seems the course software is pricey for the amount of courses you get. Not the end of the world, but a drawback. My other main issue with the GC2 is the putting. I know it works for putting, but if I have a realfeel hitting mat or something similar to that... how do you putt off of that? It's my understanding in order for the GC2 to work, there is a very small area where you have to have your ball at every time.

I see that an ebay seller "onthetee" sells the GSA system which I think is the person you people call "Martin" or at least sells his stuff. Again, from what I understand, his launch monitor is similar to the GC2 but is cheaper. Has way more courses though. But am I correct in saying the GSA system does not accurately depict draws/fades? I notice on the gsa website different camera systems. The CX2 and the LX are the same price. What's the difference?

Any advice?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAway View Post
    I see that an ebay seller "onthetee" sells the GSA system which I think is the person you people call "Martin" or at least sells his stuff. Again, from what I understand, his launch monitor is similar to the GC2 but is cheaper. Has way more courses though. But am I correct in saying the GSA system does not accurately depict draws/fades? I notice on the gsa website different camera systems. The CX2 and the LX are the same price. What's the difference?

Any advice?
    Onthetee has no history selling GSA stuff. Also, they have no user feedbacks for any simulator sales that I can see on Ebay. Buyer beware!

You are not correct saying the GSA system does not accurately depict draws/fades. The CX2 does not measure the club or spin axis so it can't predict draws or fades but the other systems(PX5 or club cam systems)will do it just fine while.

The LX is a launch monitor that will measure ball spin and spin axis like the GC2. It's currently in development. You can read about it here:http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...monitor/page25

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    The GC 2 is a good choice-easy setup and no ongoing issues

putting on any SIM is not the same as real life.

The GC2 measures putting accurately. if you do want to putt on your sim it will be ok

Just accept the price, yon will not regret it. pay peanuts- get monkeys in the golf Sim market

l prefer to use auto putt where you add the number of putts of your choice

Fill the room with putting turf with the correct speed, make it undulate by putting something underneath and then move the cup around for different putts. l use http://www.amazon.com/StarPro-Green-...ds=putting+cup

Good luck

Yeah, I am thinking the GC2 is the way to go for me. No issues, easy to use, and accurate. I will just have to live with the limited number of courses (and no Augusta) for the $$$$. I am still confused about my one question. If I have a true strike or realfeel mat, how would I putt off of that mat since the ball needs to be in the same area for the GC2 at all times?

Few other questions, is the most economical way of doing things buying each component separately? Hitting screen, computer, and projector specifically. Any advice on those?

CPA,

For putting, do you have to be on the green? I was on the GC2 range the other day and decided to test the putting. I found that soft putts(i.e. downhill 3-4 footers) did not register. Putts that were struck a little harder registered fine.

Zmax....interesting

If I do putt it is off the Truestrike gel surface which is a flat smooth carpet top. Have not had that trouble as it is good to putt on. My issue is the screen is 4.5 metres from ball and 3-4 ft putts you cannot see the hole on screen so you must imagine a spot in front of you. Will check next time softest putt posible.

IMA- putting off truestrike no issue. You can eve move the GC2 in a split second no issue.

I drive off the Gel mat using a rubber tee but you can move GC2 easily.

my suggestions re gear with price a factor are littered in a number of threads;
    projector Optoma gt750e off amazon $679

screen par2pro Corys HQ

mat Truestrike Gel- Gel section only $289 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
    cut section out of turf and sink it level- put the side tabs under the turf and screw a few down- you can cut off the advertising end part if you want.

This mat is like hitting off butter. If you want to change every now and then get same size real feel section and drop it in the hole- real feel grabs the club more

computer- easiest and portable is a laptop with video grunt.....a lenovo y580 is good value at $900. GTX660M video

and lights- led spotlights are getting cheap and power saving- need 2 30w and one 50w and you will need sunglasses

http://www.amazon.com/Spotlight-Gard...d+spotlight+50

I use blackout curtain on side and top of room for protection - velcro to screen

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Zmax....interesting

If I do putt it is off the Truestrike gel surface which is a flat smooth carpet top. Have not had that trouble as it is good to putt on. My issue is the screen is 4.5 metres from ball and 3-4 ft putts you cannot see the hole on screen so you must imagine a spot in front of you. Will check next time softest putt posible.

IMA- putting off truestrike no issue. You can eve move the GC2 in a split second no issue.

I drive off the Gel mat using a rubber tee but you can move GC2 easily.

my suggestions re gear with price a factor are littered in a number of threads;
    projector Optoma gt750e off amazon $679

screen par2pro Corys HQ

mat Truestrike Gel- Gel section only $289 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
    cut section out of turf and sink it level- put the side tabs under the turf and screw a few down- you can cut off the advertising end part if you want.

This mat is like hitting off butter. If you want to change every now and then get same size real feel section and drop it in the hole- real feel grabs the club more

computer- easiest and portable is a laptop with video grunt.....a lenovo y580 is good value at $900. GTX660M video

and lights- led spotlights are getting cheap and power saving- need 2 30w and one 50w and you will need sunglasses

http://www.amazon.com/Spotlight-Gard...d+spotlight+50

I use blackout curtain on side and top of room for protection - velcro to screen

Thanks for all those tips. I do have one question though... .what are the lights for? I know the room has to be a certain "darkness" for the screen image to be sharp... but are those lights necessary? I was just going to have recessed lights built in w/ a dimmer.

Lights are not necessary for the GC2. You might want a light over the hitting surface so you can see and maybe one above where your clubs will be located.

Yes lights in dark room directed off screen to ensure max screen brightness.

Thread Information