CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Stale gas in my snowblower

Stupid me left gas in the tank this past winter and of course now the gas has gone stale. Anybody know of someone who can come to my home and empty the gas tank, give the carb a quick clean if need be and start her up for me? Its a brand new blower so it should not be too full of gunk, I am in Kanata.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Does it start? How do you know the gas has gone stale? What kind of engine does it have?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It does not start, manual or electric, its old gas from last winter and its a brand new machine and certainly the tank does not smell like gas. Its an MTD 179cc engine.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gas shouldn't go bad that quick unless it was already old before you put in in the blower. In the past I've had success pouring a very small amount of gas in the spark plug hole and then starting it....that normally gets things flowing. Sounds like the carb is gummed up on yours. Your engine is chinese made so I'm not sure how easy the spark plug and carb are to access. In the future, consider using marine grade fuel stabilizer and and ounce or two of seafoam in your gas can. The gas will remain fresh and any left in the blower won't gum up over the summer.

Thanks, I will do that for sure. From what I read the gas can go stale pretty quickly. I can access the carb pretty easily, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the bowl. I will empty the tank, add a little new gas and try putting some new gas in the plug hole as you suggested and go from there.
    Lefty Lucas

9 Iron left and gone is on a distinguished road

Stale Gas in my snowblower

www.hunterpowerequipment.com

This guy will make "house calls" and I have used him to tune/fix my snow blower and other gardening appliances. Think he is based in Richmond so not too far for you.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    You could always try dumping some methyl hydrate (gas line anti freeze) in the tank, wait a while, and then see if it will start. Basically it increases the octane level in the gas and ensures any moisture is gone. Might work, might destroy the engine, I don't really know, but I have had some success in the past with this. Do you have 911 on speed dial?

But then, calling an expert is probably better advice.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Open up the casing around the carb and spark plug , it should be really easy to access , buy buy a can of " carb doctor" from Canadian tire , give it a spray around the carb, remove the spark plug and give it a quick clean (brass brush works best)
    After youve put back the plug give it a couple of pulls , it should start fairly easily after that.
    If it doesn't start after that , you'll have to access the cylinder head , which means you should contact a small engine mechanic , either way , its an easy fix and shouldn't be expensive
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Open up the casing around the carb and spark plug , it should be really easy to access , buy buy a can of " carb doctor" from Canadian tire , give it a spray around the carb, remove the spark plug and give it a quick clean (brass brush works best)
    After youve put back the plug give it a couple of pulls , it should start fairly easily after that.
    After you follow Will's idea to clean the crap out, use some premium grade gas. The ethanol in the regular grade gas will gum up the carb and everything use in the fuel system. It's why they sent you out the store door with fuel stabilzer. Never use low grade fuel in your seasonal equipment.
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

If you can get it started and get some Seamfoam in the gas it will clean itself out over a short time. Seamfoam is good stuff....look it up.

I have to concur with the using of higher octane gas....most definately a good idea. I've been running 94 the last couple winters with much less spitting and sputtering.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I had some gas from last year left over, so I just added some Regular 87 proof with conditioner I got from CT. Always use the electric start and it started on the second attempt with a loud snap/pop. Ran it for hour plus (multiple laneways) to empty and refilled. Started while warm on first pull. Although new in 2009 I think I'll take a little more care next Spring in preping for the off season and put some of the conditioner in the tank too. Good old Craftsman B&S! I checked my manual and their recommendations are hard to follow as far as gas goes. They say to use Regular, minimum 87 proof, but that anything with "additives" (ethanol up to 10%) is not recommended as it will damage the engine if left in during the off season. Seems most gas stations serve up gas with additives though.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Thread Information