100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron bruthru is on a distinguished road

What faster, better and cheaper launch monitor is coming to market?

I read on this board that new, better and cheaper launch monitor will be entering the home market soon. I have seen where FlightScope iscoming out with a Xi product next April that sells for around $4,000 but at anyrate you still need close to 20feet to deploy and there is no assurance that it will work (i.e. X1 Tbox). We have not heard of anything new in this segment from Foresight other than their Gc2. We got the mad scientist Martin that’s been screwing around with variations of the LX but it’s taken him 3 years to declare that he is in production of a concept at best. If it is so easy to build one,support it, promote it and make money off it wouldn’t you have thought someonewould have done it already? Could it be that this product segment has such a narrow pool of home customers that have the space, computer, mates, TV/projectors,impact screens/nets that the only way to survive is to sell a product with higher margins to support your business. The lower end launch monitor segmentthat use products such as Dancing Dog are geared to the occasional user.Typically these uses do not require the degree of information, durability andquality that the higher end units provide. So if someone knows something withsome specifics I would love to hear about it.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Bruthru, I really think you've answered your own question.

I suspect, as you said; "that this product segment has such a narrow pool of home customers that have the space, computer, mates, TV/projectors,impact screens/nets that the only way to survive is to sell a product with higher margins to support your business." If you really want to provide a high quality product AND support it, it's not going to be easy to undercut established products and stay in business.

I absolutely think there's a market for a lower cost launch monitor. That said, with the limited information I have at hand, I have NO idea how large that market would have to be in order to mass produce the product and reach the break even point to make it profitable. However, I've seen the $500 retail price tossed out on this forum, which means they'd need to sell about 13 units for every one Foresight sells to match their revenue. It sounds too good to be true and I suspect it is.

We may see the "Optishot" of launch monitors released for $500, but I don't expect to see a "GC2 Killer" at that price.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a viable business model here.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Trust me guys when I tell you that there will be a well priced launch monitor (not just the LX) that will be out within the next year.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    I hope you're right bubba22, I'm just not going to count on anything until its actually produced and shipping.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Agreed! Time will tell.

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    Bubba,

From your mouth to god's ear. I would love to see something better than the LX as the same or lower cost. Martin's plans always sound good, it's just he has execution issues.

Thread Information