CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Question Weight of shafts...

So I'm in the process of putting together a driver/shaft combo for next season.

This is a pretty general question, which I'm looking for a general answer to. I know a fitting is always the best bet, but in general, why would someone go with an 80g shaft in a driver over a 60g, or 70g shaft? The tip flex seems to be a lower number as you get heavier, but the bend point, spin, and launch characteristics are all shown to be the same. I specifically speaking about the Fujikura Motore F3.

Thanks for the help.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    It has to do with feel (which is a personal preference...stronger player may not be able to control a lighter shaft), and flex. To make a shaft heavier the walls of the shaft are thicker which makes the shaft stiffer (in most cases). So in general, an 80 gm F3 in stiff should play stiffer than a 60 gm F3 in stiff. And remember you are only talking about a 20gm difference. In the grand scheme of the things the difference is pretty negligible unless you are a real slower swinger.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    No mention of the balance point on their website. Usually lighter shafts can be built a bit longer to achieve the same swingweight. The weight of the head also matters.Stronger players usually prefer heavier shafts.
    Not everything is the same though. Notice the butt stiffness is different. So is the torque and so is the ball flight in the heavier flex. The bend point and the spin also vary depending.
    http://www.fujikuragolf.com/woods/motore/
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Why does the industry standard have heavier shafts in the woods in comparison to a driver?

Do heavier shafts usually mean tighter shot dispersion? I've heard this recently...Some people putting a heavier shaft in their driver to keep the ball straighter...

Fairway heads are heavier than driver heads so the heavier shaft balances the feel so you don't have a "head heavy".
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I don't buy the accuracy claim....I have been just as accurate and unaccurate with all weights of shafts.

The only reason I thought that perhaps the story was somewhat true is because I borrowed a driver from the assistant pro this Fall at Eagle Creek. The shaft was 15 grams heavier than my current driver shaft, and I was hitting it straight down the middle on every swing. That's something I don't do with my current setup. I have a 65 gram shaft right now.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    May not have anything to do with shaft weight. Could be the head model,face angle and loft of the head.Could also be a difference in length.
    Some heads or clubs out there are just not hittable.
    Not saying you should buy a thriver and the poster certainly has something to sell but if you have a minute read the following,
    http://calgolflab.com/blog/2012/07/2...erform-better/

BTW the best driver head for me is a Cobra offset no matter what shaft I put in.
    Fairway woods are Callaway steelheads III and they are just great.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    Why does the industry standard have heavier shafts in the woods in comparison to a driver?

Do heavier shafts usually mean tighter shot dispersion? I've heard this recently...Some people putting a heavier shaft in their driver to keep the ball straighter...
    Rocketbalz stock 3w shaft>>> 49 grams !!!

In a nut shell, the weight of the shaft controls the overall static weight of the the club. Some golfers just prefer the feel of heavier shaft for whatever reason, be it tempo, the lenght of the club, etc...

It all depend on the individual, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Fairway heads are heavier than driver heads so the heavier shaft balances the feel so you don't have a "head heavy".
    Wishon fairway wood heads have dual weight ports and are manufactured a lot lighter that OEM heads thus giving you multiple combinations of head weight and lenght options

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    one thing i noticed when I went on a launch monitor was that I was getting a few more mph swingspeed with the shaft that was 12g lighter than the other one I was testing. something to keep in mind if everything else is equal between 2 shafts.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

The only reason I thought that perhaps the story was somewhat true is because I borrowed a driver from the assistant pro this Fall at Eagle Creek. The shaft was 15 grams heavier than my current driver shaft, and I was hitting it straight down the middle on every swing. That's something I don't do with my current setup. I have a 65 gram shaft right now.
    Before assuming the differences between the 2 drivers based on graphics that appear on the shaft, the only way to find the real differences is to measure the total weight, lenght, swingweight, MOI, bend profile, face angle, loft, take them appart and weight the head, shaft and grip seperatly of each club.

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Before assuming the differences between the 2 drivers based on graphics that appear on the shaft, the only way to find the real differences is to measure the total weight, lenght, swingweight, MOI, bend profile, face angle, loft, take them appart and weight the head, shaft and grip seperatly of each club.
    It was just a general observation of the shaft only. I didn't take too much value in it to be honest. I just wondered if the heavier shaft had any relation to the straighter flight of the ball or not.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I've had my hands on alot of shaft over the years of varying stiffness and it really comes down to personal preference and what you want that shaft/head combo to feel like in your hands when playing with said shaft/head. Some people like a stiffer feeling whereas others like it somewhere inbetwen. Personally i'm a fan of the lighter shaft.

Personal preference could be a VERY expensive venture in most cases....It is a bit of a pain that 'made for' shafts and the actual aftermarket ones are usually different as well even with the same specifications.

That's kind of the problem with the interchangeable shaft system....You can get a fitting cart with all these shafts, but unless you're ordering stuff straight from Titleist lets say, then it's possible the feel or performance may be slightly different if I bought the same shaft from say Golfworks or a dealer....

Thread Information