CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge GWallman is on a distinguished road

Simulator size requirement

Hey guys. So i'm designing a garage to be built in the spring, and seeing as my basement is more or less dirt this will be my man cave. I'm thinking HDTVs, a removable car lift, etc etc... and most importantly a play for a simulator. The garage will be an L shape, the bump out part being for the simulator.
    Where I need help is how much space I need for one of these. I'm thinking of going higher end then just the optishot, possibly a protee if my buddy in the states gets the sensors fixed on his (can no longer play golf.) I want it to be comfortable. FYI I am around 5'8" and the tallest that would be playing on it would probably be 6' ( i'm looking for height as well ). Thanks!

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    A couple of questions:

1) are you looking to allow for left handers and right handers to play? with a fixed sensor mat you'd have to allow for swing room on both sides of the mat. Starts getting really wide (maybe not quite double, but pretty close to double the width requirement).

2) are you going to use the screen solely for golf or double as TV projection screen? (would just want to think about 16:9 dimensions for TV, which isn't needed for the golf sim)

Pitching Wedge GWallman is on a distinguished road
    Yes, my buddy that I will be playing most with is lefty...And seeing as its going in my garage, it probably won't be used for tv that often if ever.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    I have a Protee setup to allow for lefty and righty. My room is about 18 feet wide and about 20 feet deep.

The screen is out from the front wall by about 18" to absorb hits without the ball hitting a solid surface. Not sure if that much is really needed but I had a short ledge around the outer floor base that came out into the room so I had to do it that much anyway (my ledge makes the actual floor surface a little less than the dimension listed above, but from 2' off the ground (where the swing is occurring) the room is wider). I have black curtains on the sidewall that stick out 3-4" and they don't get touched.

These dimensions allow you to line up for a shot and then step away from the ball to take a practice swing (watch out for that if you test dimensions; it hadn't even occurred to me until after installation, luckily the room size just happened to be big enough anyway)

It has at least a foot of clearance for the club when it is parallel to the ground on the backswing and has at least 8-12" of clearance on the backswing from the wall.

I'm 5'11" and use a driver shaft a bit on the long side (stock taylormade burner from a couple of years ago)

You could get the room to be smaller than this if you need to; just not sure how much smaller. I don't think you'd want smaller than 16' wide and that could be tight for some people. When I first started doing it I setup empty cardboard boxes behind me to see if I'd hit them in the swing. You really need to take a full swing to test it since your arms tend to extend out more than in a casual practice swipe. If you want to test ceiling height you can do the same thing - stacks of boxes with a sheet of cardboard or a small board going across the top. My ceiling is 10-10.5' tall so no issues.

As you design a setup, consider where you are going to put the computer, where you will set clubs when not being used, etc. If you have constraints you want to make sure your computer monitor, etc. isn't in your swing area. Also want to consider if you are going to have seating and need room for that; most of my seating is outside this dimension. If I was playing against a lefty there would not be a great place to set any kind of large chair (might do smaller chairs or stools, haven't tried that).

In my set up, I take the screen almost from wall to wall (due to the ledge, my screen is about 15' wide x 9-10' tall).

As an FYI, with this dimension it makes a really sweet movie theatre. I've hooked up my kids xbox and a cable box and the kids love watching movies and playing games on it (good for those game that split the screen in half for two person playing). The room needs to be relatively dark anyway for the simulator, and that makes movie watching ideal as well. $200-300 sound system and a cable box and it is a neat little setup.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    My vote for those dimensions. Can I suggest 11 ft high. Some get scared about swinging with lower height than the sky, chicken little theory.

And if you want a crowd,bar fridge,audience make it 30 ft long.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    In my experience do all the measuring and testing and then add at least a foot or two in all dimensions if you can. The psychological fear of hitting the wall or ceiling is real and if you subconsciously think you will it will affect your swing all winter long. You need to be comfortable swinging at your usual rate without hitting anything and that means lots of space.

Sand Wedge left72 is on a distinguished road

Room size and sim recommendation?

Hi,

I'm moving into a new house soon and I'm evaluating my room options for a new sim. I would be interested in your feedback for a room which is 450cm x 440cm (height is approx. 295cm).

I'm 185cm with long arms, swinging a driver requires the pink marked distances from the walls (my swing speed with the driver is 100-105mph). This distance does not include the possibility to step way from the ball to take a practice swing. Placing the screen about a foot (30cm) in front of the wall for a mattress or somesuch leaves roughly 220cm between ball and screen. Is this generally a viable distance? From all the other pics and posts that I've seen, this seems rather short.

Obviously, this particular room is not suited for radar based systems. GC2 would probably be ok, any ideas on GSA or ProTee regarding the dimensions - I'm looking for sims that are reasonably precise (not necessary track man precise) and pretty accurate, so DD or P3Pro are probably out. I understand that, for better results, both GSA and ProTee may need additional cameras - again, tricky with the 220cm to the screeen?

I would like to work my shots under 100m (crappy part of my game which keeps me from getting below 9) and please my wife with an occasional round on the sim. Her game play is more or less dormant. I do not play with lefties ;-) LX looks ok if it ever leaves the factory.

The side view tells my that I probably need a net left, right and on the ceiling the last 100cm before the wall, assuming a ball leaves at 60*...

Any thoughts on the room dimensions?

-Stefan

sim-birds-view.jpgsim-side-view.jpg

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    I've setup a GSA PX5 system for somebody with that same distance to the screen and I was able to get it to work. But I would not recommend anybody to try something like that. It was a pain in the azz.

The Protee would definitely work at that distance, without much trouble. The putting sensor can be placed about 95cm from the main sensor, which would leave a distance of around 106cm from putting sensor to screen. You will have to use a short throw projector for sure. Even then, at your height, you might still get a shadow from your head(near the bottom of projected image) when putting, depending on ceiling height. The putting sensor is optional though. You can still putt from the main sensor as long as the shadow of your head doesn't cover the sensors.

Whether you get the putting sensor or not, you still need the second overhead light for the cameras. The lights will need blinders to keep the light from washing out the screen and to keep the beams from overlapping too much.

The GC2 will work fine obviously.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    GC2 the easy option. Other option to dig a basement for more room.

Thread Information