CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    96p993

For those with sim in their garage...

I am wondering what you do with your computer, monitor, projector, etc when not in use...Have you done anything to make sure you prolong the life of your electronics?

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I keep my computer and stereo covered to reduce the dust on them. I am in a cold climate so in the winter I keep the garage heated at 5 degrees celsius. I make sure to clean the filters on the projector and computer often. That's about it.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    I leave my computer on stand by at all times. Every piece of electronics in my garage stays in there 24/7, excluding the protee sensor mat & putting sensor.

My computer, monitor, projector, speakers, cameras, and keyboard & mouse stay in there. Doing research I read that the only bad thing that cold does to electronics is provide the opportunity for moisture to build up on circuits. If you keep power to each device, it'll have enough "heat" going to it to prevent build up of moisture. It's the turning off and on with moisture on the circuits that would ruin these devices.

Some people suggested to plug a small light bulb in the motherboard/case to provide even more warmth.

Only precautions I take are to leave everything plugged in and never shut down my PC, just put on standby. I also clean my PC out with compressed air about once a week/two weeks.

I also run my space heater in the garage for about 15 mins before I awaken my system.

Been doing it for the last 4 winters with no problems, and I live in Rochester, NY.

Putter thomp361 is on a distinguished road
    I have my 10 ft wide screen on a remote controlled roller ($150). Spandex on the top and bottom of the screen with bungees on the sides. Weighted bags on the bottom of the screen. Works like a champ, I'll post pics soon.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Look forward to your pics, Thomp.

Good advice Goatbarn. I will keep my computer running. I thought the worst would happen if I left if running. Dust is my biggest problem using the garage. I have a portable system setup. I use a blackout curtain on a ceiling tract. I have a stance mat and a putting sensor mat (4 x 8) made out of styrofoam and a layer of plywood glued to them for stability. I put the two sensor pads away and covered from dust, when not playing. Takes about 5 minutes to setup and take down. I would rather have it in the house but that is not an option at the moment.

We have the same setup pretty much.

Everytime I setup I have to just awaken the computer, awaken the projector, move stance mats into place, move vcam into place, slide screen/blackout curtain into place, bungee screen to sidewall/floor, play. Probably takes 7 mins.

Ideally I'd have a 10' basement and all of this could be permanent.....butttt that's what I'll hopefully find fall 2013 when I look for a new house!

Here's some computer geeks talking about the cold issue: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=45812

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Cold issue.....on Thursday a place called Ouyen-2 hours drive from me registered 46. Thats C guys not F,

Cook an egg on the computer with that.

Edit to save you doing the math- 114.8F

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Wow!!!!!!

8 Iron Riggy69 is on a distinguished road
    I keep my garage at 15 degrees celsius and keep my desktop on sleep mode when not in use and will start to cover my optishot sensors after reading these posts. Do you think its ok to shoot the compressed air can right at the sensors ? Also, What is the best way to shoot at the projector ?

Thanks,

Stephen

Thread Information