CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flightscope Xi

8 Iron kwantfm is on a distinguished road

Flightscope Xi

I registered my interest on the website and got this email response:
    The FlightScope Xi will be the next generation 3D Doppler tracking radar from EDH, maker of the world's first 3D Doppler tracking radar technology for golf. The FlightScope Xi will be aimed at the consumer looking to improve their golf game while having fun. Features will include automatic leveling, patented boresight camera for target view, Wi-Fi connectivity to Apple and Android mobile devices and 2.5 hour battery life. The FlightScope Xi will be the smallest and most lightweight 3D tracking radar in existence. It will easily fit into a golf bag for ultimate portability. The FlightScope Xi will be operated using mobile devices running the FlightScope Skills App and other future FlightScope Xi compatible mobile Apps. Using the FlightScope Skills App with the FlightScope Xi users will be able to create, play and review challenges by joining MyFlightScope.com. The FlightScope Xi will track the ball from launch to landing. The data will be limited to carry, total & lateral distances, club speed, ball speed and smash factor. FlightScope Xi will be able to be used both outdoors and indoors and will require a minimum total distance of 18 feet from radar to net for indoor use.

The FlightScope Xi will initially be available for purchase online through www.flightScope.com. The retail price is expected to be less than $4,000.
    I can understand that ball data such as vertical launch angle and spin rate and axis would be the differentiator to the X1/X2 however I do think they are making a mistake by not including club data.

T

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    I thougjt their original page mentioned the metal stickers for spin measure?

8 Iron kwantfm is on a distinguished road
    I'm sure they're measuring spin, just not reporting it. Means that clubfitters will still buy the X2 but hobbyists will get the Xi.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Well as long as it actually measures spin I guess that is a plus. If this is around $3500 they could make a huge splash with people on the fence to buy a GC2. Actual tracking of the ball in flight gives confidence to people skeptical of the camera systems.

Sounds cool.

The big question is why would you measure spin and not report it. It would add value and confidence. The New foresight software doesn't as it is game focused and Foresight don't want it to compete with their fitting software. That is a software issue.
    But Xi is a new launch monitor......do they really have confidence in spin numbers given the X1 tbox problems.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    I'm sure they're measuring spin, just not reporting it. Means that clubfitters will still buy the X2 but hobbyists will get the Xi.
    Only total spin. Not side spin or spin axis.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Only total spin. Not side spin or spin axis.
    Good as useless then. How they claim the accuracy without sidespin is beyond me.

Why would you be skeptical of cams measuring spin.....is there a better way?

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Good as useless then. How they claim the accuracy without sidespin is beyond me.

Why would you be skeptical of cams measuring spin.....is there a better way?
    For indoor, spin axis is estimated. Probably from club path and ball path but other data points might also be used. GC2 is the cheapest way to go for indoors. AGstudio is nice but too much money.

Sand Wedge jwm is on a distinguished road
    For indoor, spin axis is estimated. Probably from club path and ball path but other data points might also be used. GC2 is the cheapest way to go for indoors. AGstudio is nice but too much money.
    Cory posted a mini-update in the E6II thread so I wanted to see if there is any new info floating out there. The preliminary release date of early summer is approaching. I hadn't really thought of this as an option due to its lack of reported ball data but the idea of keeping things simple is growing on me. I'm anticipating the release and testing of this.

I have been trading emails with the sales folks. It looks like final pricing will be around $2500 and release will be mid-late February, March. I'm disappointed that it will miss my winter. At that point I can wait for the reviews and market feedback on the unit until fall 2014. Looks like a good value though.

jwm,

Did they elaborate on the cause of the delays? $2500 is a great price for 3D dopplar radar.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    jwm,

Did they elaborate on the cause of the delays? $2500 is a great price for 3D dopplar radar.
    That's what I was just thinking until I read what it tracks. It doesn't appear to track anything to do with the club face or impact like the full FlightScope does. Not sure how much better would be than that $299 doppler unit that tracks distance outdoors. I guess for indoors it may be useful as long as it picks up proper ball spin.

Ball Data

• Carry Distance
    • Total Distance
    • Roll Distance
    • Ball Speed
    • Lateral Deviation

Club Data

• Club Head Speed
    • Smash Factor

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Help me out her guys. There is no mention of measuring spin or spin axis! If these aren't measured then this is no better than the ES2 or a Yupiteru!

The ES2 at $299 does not track distances. It just measures ball speed, calculates distance, then it talks to you. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For $2500, the Xi better measure all the necessary ball data, including spin. Perhaps it just doesn't display them. Think of it like a quad core CPU that's has two of it's cores disabled. This way, they can sell it to the low price market without damaging their current market.

Flightscope and Trackman don't measure club face.

Z, so you think they measure spin and estimate axis but just don't display it? Something seems tricky here?

FlightScope Xi will track your golf ball throughout its entire trajectory, from launch to landing.
    This tells me it's pretty much the same 3D Doppler radar as the Flightscope X1/X2. Maybe not as powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Z, so you think they measure spin and estimate axis but just don't display it? Something seems tricky here?
    Yes, since it's the same technology(according to Flightscope), it should be able to measure spin and estimate spin axis just like the X1/X2. If they display all the data, why would anybody buy the more expensive X1/X2?

Good point. Maybe th X1or X2 are "more" accurate? The chipping and putting will still be n issue for full simulation?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Good point. Maybe th X1or X2 are "more" accurate? The chipping and putting will still be n issue for full simulation?
    Yes, less power will equal less accuracy, but it's just a guess at this point. I don't know for sure about chipping and putting but I would imagine it would be a problem. I wonder if this is why the T1 never got going.

Yes the X1 TBox never did fly. I was gonna mention that one. Some may not remember that prototype by Flightscope so here http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gMKVMqYHBb0

7 Wood GolfMonster2 is on a distinguished road
    I would urge anyone that regardless of "technology", user reviews and company claims, they check the unit both outside and inside. See how the data compares with another LM (e.g. trackman, GC2) and your own knowledge of how far each club in the bag goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfMonster2 View Post
    I would urge anyone that regardless of "technology", user reviews and company claims, they check the unit both outside and inside. See how the data compares with another LM (e.g. trackman, GC2) and your own knowledge of how far each club in the bag goes.
    Yes, use common sense.

Yes, since it's the same technology(according to Flightscope), it should be able to measure spin and estimate spin axis just like the X1/X2. If they display all the data, why would anybody buy the more expensive X1/X2?
    Exactly. Xi wouldn't be able to fit clubs, measure club path, etc. It wouldn't be all that useful to a pro. This is more consumer oriented. GC2 lite almost. I envision using it as a way to visualize my indoor hitting and not getting obsessive over numbers. My pro has an X2, let him obsess over the numbers during our sessions. This could measure the results of practice in the Combine apps, giving you a baseline and showing progress in your ability to consistently hit targets. I like the online scoreboard capability too. Again, for 2500 it would've been a no brainer. Alas, it will be another cold winter (or I'll overspend on something else.)

According to a sales manager, the Xi will not be "initially" capable of integration with simulation software.

Also the Xi will only be able to connect to devices through direct wifi (even though the website says USB connection available).

The limited edition is no more, due to "high demand in production" of the regular Xi model. It was supposed to be a slight hardware upgrade, no idea what specifically though.

Pitching Wedge espresso is on a distinguished road
    Here's some new info I got from FlightScope regarding the new Xi. This is the "budget" consumer model for $2,500. There's another "Xi TaylorMade Tuned Performance unit" that I'm curious to know more about (pricing/functionality) but didn't get any info in my email inquiry to them. At first glance, the consumer model would be great for sim use however that's not a functionality that's offered. I don't see a point in providing a portable unit that someone can take to the range but not give spin data and club data. Clearly if you're at the range, you can guestimate carry/distance and etc. You don't need a $2,500 machine to tell you the obvious. Indoors, this "budget" system along with a sim can allow for an indoor range along with a fun sim. Something like a more accurate but expensive OptiShot. I think Flightscope dropped the ball on this by not offering a sim feature, even if it's for an added price. $10K for the X2 is a bargain compared to a Trackman but still beyond the budget of most enthusiast. Give us a complete sim unit say sub $5K and sell 4x the number of units. I'm sure they'll still be making money and getting a larger launch monitor market share.

FlightScope Xi.jpg

I'm hope to get more info on the Xi TaylorMade Tuned Performance unit to see if there's a sim functionality. It might just give you more club data and ball data and make you forkout $10K if you want the X2 sim functionality.

There is some misleading info on their site regarding the sim compatibility. I have spoken with sales/tech reps and some say that sim intergration is planned, some don't.

I don't have it on me now, but there is an ad somewhere that says that sim integration is planned.

I really hope there's some sort of sim integration down the road for the budget model. Otherwise why would you buy it for indoor use? They also need to show club data for sim use. Ball data I can do without but I'd like to know if I'm hitting it square on the sim. A $399 Optishot can give me that basic data and provide something to visualize on screen. Sure it's not accurate but they're making a boat load of money at $399 each and selling thousands of units. Obviously a $2,500 Xi isn't geared towards a club fitter so why not make it a fun sim and sell a ton of them? Seems like the sales/marketing department at FlightScope needs to reassess their strategy.

Looks like they plan to release something mid-Feb. The TMag version sounds pretty cool minus the lack of sim integration but it doesn't seem to be offered to the public?? I wonder if you're a club fitter or instructor but do not have a TM account if you can still get your hands on one? I hope after the PGA show someone can do a nice review. Btw, since it's app based only, is there a way to send that image to a large TV/monitor and/or projector?

FlightScope Models_Page_1.jpgFlightScope Models_Page_3.jpgFlightScope Models_Page_2.jpg

1 Iron Jsgregg is on a distinguished road
    I believe you can send your ios display to a television using Apple TV...not positive though.

Big miss by them not having it ready for winter.

Thread Information