CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

Anchoring Rule Change

It's happened, wonder what kind of storm this is going to kick up on tour and when would the ban go into effect? Immediately for amateurs too?

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    If you play amateur events i would guess switching sooner rather then later would help. Wonder if there will be PGA tour guys who play them right up until 2016. Should be interesting
    Twitter: Gropper76

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    info here on the decision

http://www.usga.org/news/2012/Novemb...bit-Anchoring/

people have 3 years to confirm, Jan 1, 2016
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    great. just what golf needs. more penalties.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    great. just what golf needs. more penalties.
    You will not be penalized unless you anchor the putter to your body. You will still be able to use the long putter, you just won't be able to anchor it to any part of your body.

With that said, I disagree with the ruling. I wonder if Woods had never brought this issue up if would have even been discussed? If 3 Majors, (2 in 2012) had not been won by pros using the long putter would this have been discussed?

Why did it take the R&A and USGA 15+ years to decide "You can no longer anchor the putter against your body" ? That is why I disagree with the rule.

I switched back and forth between a 31 inch putter and a belly putter this season. Yes there was days I putted well with the belly putter (which I usually do not anchor against my belly). However if I had the 31 inch putter in my hands that day the putting results might have been the same. Unless carry both putters during a round you really have no way of knowing which putting method is better. And even if you had both putters your stroke can change from hole to hole!

I bought the belly putter as an experiment, not because I was a terrible putter. So the ruling won't effect me, I could still use the belly putter, I just won't anchor it.

IMO the PGA needs to step in and cut back the distance which is being gained off the tees by the Pros. 480 yard par 4's are no challenge for the Pros unless the rough is 6 inches high. Driver 9 iron or wedge. Old courses can no longer hold tour events because those courses are too short. If you don't believe that then you didn't watch the Canadian Open at Ancaster this year. The pros were hitting irons off the tees on par 4's. When was the last time you hit a 5 iron off the tee on a par 4 measuring 430 yards? I do not see many guys at my course doing that.

I feel sorry for older amateurs who have bad backs, or the yips. Losing the ability to use the long putter and anchor it will drive some people away from the game. That is not what we need.

And what's up with the R&A changing The Road Hole? Leave the damn course alone, the hole is exciting the way it is.

Enjoy the winter boys and girls, let's hope we have a winter like last year when I played golf locally in February
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I wonder if Woods had never brought this issue up if would have even been discussed? If 3 Majors, (2 in 2012) had not been won by pros using the long putter would this have been discussed?

Why did it take the R&A and USGA 15+ years to decide "You can no longer anchor the putter against your body" ? That is why I disagree with the rule.
    I feel sorry for older amateurs who have bad backs, or the yips. Losing the ability to use the long putter and anchor it will drive some people away from the game. That is not what we need.
    http://www.usga.org/news/2012/Novemb...ce-Transcript/

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I don't feel sorry for anyone who has the yips. Aids, cancer, genital herpes, sure. But not the yips.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    You will not be penalized unless you anchor the putter to your body.................. And what's up with the R&A changing The Road Hole? Leave the damn course alone, the hole is exciting the way it is.
    1. The ruling bodies are saying that a golf stroke should be a free swing versus a restricted one. Anchoring creates a true pendulum stroke (fixed point) which virtually eliminates the possibility of flipping the wrists coming through.

2. Long putters definitely help those with back problems, but moving the hand off the chest will NOT negate the benefit they give. The yips are a mental affliction which came be overcome and I speak from experience.

3. Suggesting that some will leave the game because of not being able to anchor is scaremongering. Norther Americans are leaving the game primarily because it costs too much and takes up too much time. However, the game is expanding worldwide, just not on our side of the Atlantic.

4. Agree that it may benefit the game if distance was reduced at the Pro level. Leave we mortals alone. Tour distance levels have more or less plateaued in recent years. However, distance, clubs, balls are a completely separate issue from further defining what a stroke is, that is, the anchoring issue.

5. St. Andrews is being tweaked because bunkers are eroding and disappearing, portions of greens are unputtable because of the increase in green speed rendering the original slopes too severe to put a pin position on, and so on.

6. Drivers in excess of 460 cc's, a length longer than 48", a coefficient of restitution exceeding .83, square grooves ... were used for awhile before standards were defined by the ruling bodies. So while it may have taken too long for them to get it right, regarding anchoring, is it not better late than never? Manufacturers can make equipment that will take the all challenge of developing a good swing and a deft touch out of the game, if allowed. Good for the ruling bodies, rather than the profit seekers, for controlling this.

+1

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Well said Lyle.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    concur with BC Mist...well put.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road
    I disagree with the ban. Stats have not proven the belly putter is an advantage. ( got this info off the golf channel)

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    I disagree with the ban. Stats have not proven the belly putter is an advantage. ( got this info off the golf channel)
    Whose stats? The PGA Tour's? Perhaps we should consider the other 60,000,00 golfers worldwide and determine from those who anchor if they feel they have gained some sort of advantage.

Or, even better, what does Dave Pelz' research show regarding which of the various methods has the higher probability of holing putts from various distances? Over my 50+ years of playing and having tried all the methods in the discussion, including side saddle and the croquet style before it was banned (Yes, I am that old), any form of anchoring made holing the 3' - 4'ers easier, but had difficulty getting the longer putts consistently close, and any golfer knows that making the short putts is the difference between good versus great scores, or being close and winning. An anchored putter all but eliminates the negative affect that having to make shorts putts has on some golfers. Making a pure stroke under pressure is part of the game, and anchoring, to some extent, reduces that need.

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road
    I can't think of a more high pressure putting situation than on the PGA tour. I think if there was an edge then best in the world would find it. The stats don't back that up.
    I see your point. I just don't think the long putter is a detriment to the game. I appreciate the time and thought you put into your responses. We can agree to disagree.

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    I've been using a long putter for 2 years now and without a doubt it has helped my game tremendously I don't think using a belly or long putter offers an advantage to good/great putters, but it certainly does help an average/mediocre putter.

I used to be the worst putter amongst my group of friends and would consistently 2 and 3 putt every green. Now I'm probably closer to a good putter and I no longer fear the 3-6 foot putts.

Quote Originally Posted by 3putt View Post
    I've been using a long putter for 2 years now and without a doubt it has helped my game tremendously I don't think using a belly or long putter offers an advantage to good/great putters, but it certainly does help an average/mediocre putter.

I used to be the worst putter amongst my group of friends and would consistently 2 and 3 putt every green. Now I'm probably closer to a good putter and I no longer fear the 3-6 foot putts.
    There will be nothing to stop you continuing to use your long putter.

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    agree...but I will need to change the way I'm holding the club (anchoring it to my chest).

Leo Diegel

LeoDiegelPutt.jpg

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I wonder if the forward press is going to make a difference.

A key element of the putter, which
    features a specially weighted 400-gram head,
    is a four-degree forward lean on the shaft
    angle. The idea is to put the hands and body in a position to make the putter an
    extension of the left arm.

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2012...-putters-.html
    Unlike other Odyssey putters, which come with 3° of standard loft, the Arm Lock putters have 7° because pressing the top of the grip against the forearm creates a forward press. Rollinson says that press is about 4°, so to offset the delofting effect, 4° had to be added

Last edited by Chieflongtee; 12-01-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information