CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driver shaft

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road

Driver shaft

Hi,

I was just wondering if you folks had a recommendation for a good place in Ottawa to get a swing analysis done to see what shaft I need for my driver? I bought a SMT Spectrum and the shaft that came with it, a Regular flex Royal precision Saber graphite, is just not cutting it ...(The last time my swing speed was measured it was 133 mph :blush ).

Phil

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I know that at ProGolf they have a True Temper Analysis setup so that you can test different shafts. Also, if you decide to get the club reshafted at ProGolf, the analysis is free.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_driver
    Hi,

I was just wondering if you folks had a recommendation for a good place in Ottawa to get a swing analysis done to see what shaft I need for my driver? I bought a SMT Spectrum and the shaft that came with it, a Regular flex Royal precision Saber graphite, is just not cutting it ...(The last time my swing speed was measured it was 133 mph :blush ).

Phil
    133 MPH??? Holy smokes man! That's in the John Daly range! No wonder a regular flex is "just not cutting it". Good luck in your search.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    You sure that was your swingspeed and not your ball speed? If your swingspeed really is 133mph then you should check out the 'Long Drive' thread in one of the other forums!

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    You sure that was your swingspeed and not your ball speed? If your swingspeed really is 133mph then you should check out the 'Long Drive' thread in one of the other forums!
    Already checked that thread out! Yep 133 was my highest swingspeed. I was averaging around 125 during the session. My max ball speed was 199.

My biggest drive last year was at Nation on the 9th hole. Admitedly the tee-box is elevated, but I hit the green. The tee was at the very rear of the box, so around 380 total, probably ~365 in the air. Good times!

Because of me wanting to spend the least amount of $, I've pretty much decided on the Grafalloy Blue or ProLaunch 75 in X flex. Any objections?

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_driver
    Because of me wanting to spend the least amount of $, I've pretty much decided on the Grafalloy Blue or ProLaunch 75 in X flex. Any objections?
    The Blue is a low-hitting shaft while the ProLaunch generally has a high trajectory, so you should consider that in your choice. Also, by all accounts the Blue plays stiffer than the stated flex - most people who regularly play a stiff shaft opt for the regular in the Blue - so you might want to reconsider going to X flex for the Blue. Especially in a Spectrum head - shafts tend to play a little stiffer in these heads because of the deeper bore.

Both of these shafts are available at GolfWorks on Industrial Ave, and the staff there are very knowledgeable about them. I had a swing analysis done be Wayne at GolfWorks and he was quite good.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I am also interested in fitting a shaft to my specs. How do they test you for the right shaft if they don’t have different type of shafts mounted on a driver head you desire?

I am looking for a Deep Bore 455 but I am not sure what face angle (degree) I should get. After that, I have to find a shaft for my specs.

Any info would help.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Ideally, the clubmaker you go to has a bunch of shafts in the same model head, with accurately measured loft, that you can try out.

Assuming that is the case the differences due to changing heads are pretty easy to account for.

When I had my vector launch monitor session we determined that my current driver head / shaft combo was just a little too stiff for optimum launch. I've since switched shafts and will see what it's like soon.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Ideally, the clubmaker you go to has a bunch of shafts in the same model head, with accurately measured loft, that you can try out.
    Assuming that is the case the differences due to changing heads are pretty easy to account for.
    When I had my vector launch monitor session we determined that my current driver head / shaft combo was just a little too stiff for optimum launch. I've since switched shafts and will see what it's like soon.
    Hypothetical question, let’s say that I buy a SMT Deep Bore 8 degree 455 head. I go to a testing centre and they test different shafts on a Callaway and TM head. Then they recommend a specific shaft but what tells me that shaft will give me optimal results with the SMT head?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Hypothetical question, let’s say that I buy a SMT Deep Bore 8 degree 455 head. I go to a testing centre and they test different shafts on a Callaway and TM head. Then they recommend a specific shaft but what tells me that shaft will give me optimal results with the SMT head?
    To 100% accuracy, it doesn't.

However, if you know the bore depth of the Callaway/TM heads and the distance of the bottom of the bore to the ground your clubmaker should be able to estimate the effect.

Assuming no tip trim, if the bottom of the shaft and where the shaft exits the hosel are at the same distance relative to the ground for two heads, the shaft should have the same effective stiffness.

As I recall the more important of the two is bottom of the shaft but I could be wrong.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    The SMT Deep Bore is an excellent choice. Just be aware that the head plays .75 degrees higher than the listed loft.

Gap Wedge TheBigEasy is on a distinguished road
    go to golfworks and see chris great guy

Thread Information