100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clublink

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisting
    Metcalfe works out the best for my $$$ I don't have enough money for a Stonebridge or Platinum membership. I was debating the platinum one with Metcalfe though. Metcalfe has an intermediate membership, which is why I joined. The bar is $30 a month, so it's not too bad.

I have nothing against people enjoying the bar bill and having a willingness to fund their club. All I'm saying is that for me, personally, and I'm sure a few others like me, don't enjoy HAVING to spend money on food/drink in order to play golf as a member. I know the courses aren't going to change, and eventually when I start making more $$$ I'll probably end up being a member of a course with a high bar bill. Right now though, I don't drink, I don't eat much at courses and I don't entertain clients. I play golf alone or with whoever wants to come out with me and then I leave. I'm all about playing and not so much about the socializing. So for people like me, the bar bill isn't good.
    You play where your budget permits you to play. It’s cheap for you to play at Metcalf but you get what you pay for.

I spend 800$ a season on bar tab for my personal use. I don’t entertain clients. I play all the tournaments I can meaning that I get to the course early to practice, then eat at the club house, play my round and often grab a bite to eat while waiting for my friends that are still on the course.

I also hate to carry food in my golf bag cause weight is a factor when carrying a golf bag. I rather grab what I need from the food cart when I need to. Add all that up and you get 800$ tab.

400$ is very cheap compared to exclusive courses like Camelot, R.O. and Rivermeed. 2000$+ a year bar tab.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Pitching Wedge Twisting is on a distinguished road
    Yes, the $400 ($550/$600 for Greyhawk) is inexpensive compared to the Camelot/Rivermeed. Since you spend $800 a season on food, there is no problem with the bar tab for you.

Your $800 compared to my $30-$60 a season on food is not cheap though.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue because everyone just seems to be coming back with the same thing: "I spend the money anyway, etc.". I realize that you do and therefore the bar bill isn't a big deal.

Pretend that you didn't spend that money on food/drinks and brought your own water and maybe bought a chocolate bar every so often - that's my situation - so the bar bill is a waste of money for ME.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Twisting...do the math

No offense Twisting, but your $30/month at Metcalfe times 6 months = $180 which is just less than half of what Clublink is apparently charging ($400 number being batted around here). Hmmm is Metcalfe half the golf course that Predator is? Methinks not.

It's all relative really.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Twisting,

In an earlier post you stated that the course should skip the manditory bar tab and add this to the membership. For a six-month period, this would add another 180-200 to the membership fee. And most people would still be spending money in the bar/restaurant. There are always people like yourselves who minimize the money spent on the course. I play with some fairly frequently, and I always bring a bottle of water and re-fill on the course.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

GarthM:

Someone said $400, but I think Colby said $550-$600 for Greyhawk. I also said that I don't agree with the $180 I'm spending at Metcalfe for the bar bill (maybe you missed that). So, I'm in no way applauding Metcalfes bar bill because it's cheaper - I'm against the bar bill entirely - not just for certain courses. My membership fee for Metcalfe is $980 + the bar bill for the year. What does that have to do with comparing Metcalfe to Predator? If I could afford it, I'd be a member of clublink - but I still wouldn't agree with the bar bill. Also, I would say Metcalfe and the other courses around here are half of what the Predator is. I've played Predator and it's nice and in great shape, but that's not to say the other courses we have around here are dumps.

Colby:

I said skipping the bar bill and adding a few hundred bucks to the membership in response to someone else saying that the reason the bar bill is mandatory is to create a streaming income for the course. If the bar bill is for the course, then add it to the membership.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Why would you want to pay extra $ on your membership and get nothing extra for it? I'd rather eat the food.
    It is part of the membership fee at lots of courses and needs to be inucluded in the golf budget as does food and drink for a green fee player.
    If it bothers you so much, then you could have chosen a course where a bar bill is not manditory. They do exist.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    ya, it makes no sense. You'd rather they 1) bury it in the cost of the membership raising that; 2) Pay $ to the course for food / drink that you will buy anyways, and 3) pay it up front as opposed to monthly or however they charge you.

What is so hard to understand?

1) It doesn't bother me so much as to not join a course. Even with a bar bill, Metcalfe was still cheaper than almost any other course I looked at around here taking in driving distance.

2) I said increase the cost of membership so the money goes straight to bettering the course - not paying the staff who makes/serves the food. I said this because someone said that paying the food bill was in place to keep a steady flow of income.

3) "Pay $ to the course for food / drink that you will buy anyways" - I DON'T buy the food anyways - that's my point!. I won't spend money on food/drink at the course. How many times do I have to say that? Also if you are apparently going to buy it anyway - then why have it? They'll get the $$$ from you anyway. Why not make it optional? Pay up front or pay as you go? Because they get to squeeze a bit more money out of you - that's all it is.

Why is it so difficult to realize that for SOME people the bar bill is a waste of money, and for others it's not?
    Last edited by Twisting; 03-04-2005 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    The $ you spend on food and drink go to more than pay the staff. It goes to the cost of the food, drink, glasses, plates, oil for the deep fryer, napkins, heat, etc. etc.

You don't eat/drink at the course but the vast majority of people that buy a membership do. So I guess your paying that $200 to Metcalfe for nothing. The course and the restaurant are 2 different things. Apples and oranges.

"The $ you spend on food and drink go to more than pay the staff. It goes to the cost of the food, drink, glasses, plates, oil for the deep fryer, napkins, heat, etc. etc."

Exactly! So if I'm not using that, why should I have to pay for it? You're right - I am paying Metcalfe the $180 for nothing. I'll definitly use it up though if I paid for it. I would still rather have not paid it and not bought any food. Once again, you're right about the course and the restaurant being apples and oranges. Why should I have to pay for apples when all I'm eating is oranges?

Anyways, I'm going to stop replying to the same responses - we keep going in circles It's been fun though!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Kinda like "twisting" in the wind after a while.

Agreed

Bar bills are mandatory for one reason, financing an eating facility for people who need it. If there were no bar bill, there would not be restaurant available for players to eat and/or drink. The bar bill $ makes sure that enough money is generated in a season for the restaurant to make a minimum amount of money.

No $ = no restaurant = unsatisfied customers (in general).

Big_duck
    Why all this outrage over the bar bill? It is standard practice for private clubs.

I do have one question though, is the bar bill portable like the membership or does it only apply to your "home" course. If the latter, it would certainly be an incentive to play your "home" course more.

How do courses that don't offer memberships have restaurants then?

Pineview has a restaurant, I'm sure Stonebridge does (although I've never played there - they may not), Cloverdale sells food and drinks and The Meadows has a place to eat too. These courses don't have memberships, therefore there are no bar bills, but yet, they manage to keep food and drinks available for people who want them and I'm sure they make a nice profit also.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Why all this outrage over the bar bill? It is standard practice for private clubs.

I do have one question though, is the bar bill portable like the membership or does it only apply to your "home" course. If the latter, it would certainly be an incentive to play your "home" course more.
    It is throughout Clublink. I charge my bar bill no mater what Cublink course I play.

Mike

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    It is throughout Clublink. I charge my bar bill no mater what Cublink course I play.

Mike

Hmmm, pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

How do courses that don't offer memberships have restaurants then?

Pineview has a restaurant, I'm sure Stonebridge does (although I've never played there - they may not), Cloverdale sells food and drinks and The Meadows has a place to eat too. These courses don't have memberships, therefore there are no bar bills, but yet, they manage to keep food and drinks available for people who want them and I'm sure they make a nice profit also.

Cause when you play at a private course you tend to leave your money at home cause you are not paying for your dally round. If you have no money on you and the food cart passes along, what do you do? No money, no candy. If you have a bar bill account you just charge to it.

Camelot does not accept money at all. You MUST charge to a bar bill to get food or drinks.

I am not saying that they don’t make money with this philosophy but it is there way to insure a certain amount of cash flow coming in.

Most of the facilities that mentioned have numerous tournaments every weeks and that is how they make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Hmmm, pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

That’s the other advantage. When I go you in to Le Maitre or other far away courses, I rather eat at the course then stop at a restaurant.

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    Pineview uses it's facilities for more than just golf and it's a city run facility so the cost of a restaurant is inconsequential. The Cloverdale clubhouse is a converted bungalow with a bar-b-que - not exactly fine dining (Unless you're from Gatineau). Stonebridge doesn't have a restaurant yet but once they do I'm sure they'll be a bar tab added to membership dues - or when Clublink officially purchases the place.

Having a bar tab with your membership is like needing a liscense to drive a car...

Quote Originally Posted by MrMulligan
    not exactly fine dining (Unless you're from Gatineau).
    That was not necessary!

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    The Cloverdale clubhouse is a converted bungalow with a bar-b-que - not exactly fine dining (Unless you're from Gatineau).
    You get what you pay for. Personally, I'd rather got to a golf course to play golf, not to eat the food in the restaurant. Oh and by the way...Cloverdale has some of the best hamburgers.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Are we talking golf here or fine dining?
    400$ is for the bar bill for the season... if you play over 20 games, it is easily spent. If you want to dine out.... try the St-Estephe, Henry Burger or le Baccarat (in Gatineau), you will spent the same amount in one evening.
    If lunch is important when you play golf, Chateau Cartier and Chateau Montebello and even the Rivermead are worth the trip.
    And the list could go on.
    If I go the the course its to hit the greens in 2, not to eat them as a foursome.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    - not exactly fine dining (Unless you're from Gatineau).
    I thought it was very funny...

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    The Cloverdale clubhouse is a converted bungalow with a bar-b-que - not exactly fine dining (Unless you're from Gatineau).
    I can see where this would offend some people, but I think that's one of the wittiest comments I've come across in these forums....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    Are we talking golf here or fine dining?
    400$ is for the bar bill for the season... if you play over 20 games, it is easily spent. If you want to dine out.... try the St-Estephe, Henry Burger or le Baccarat (in Gatineau), you will spent the same amount in one evening.
    If lunch is important when you play golf, Chateau Cartier and Chateau Montebello and even the Rivermead are worth the trip.
    And the list could go on.
    If I go the the course its to hit the greens in 2, not to eat them as a foursome.
    Henry Burger? That's gotta be the chef's name right? Fine dining and they called it THAT??? Nice....

"Chez Poutine et Pepsi" sounds about the same....

Oh, and yes, I know it's a fairly good place to eat. Never been yet, but hope to soon. Just find the name is a poor one...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Emerald links is the best deal.

Metcalfe works out the best for my $$$ I don't have enough money for a Stonebridge or Platinum membership. I was debating the platinum one with Metcalfe though. Metcalfe has an intermediate membership, which is why I joined. The bar is $30 a month, so it's not too bad.

I have nothing against people enjoying the bar bill and having a willingness to fund their club. All I'm saying is that for me, personally, and I'm sure a few others like me, don't enjoy HAVING to spend money on food/drink in order to play golf as a member. I know the courses aren't going to change, and eventually when I start making more $$$ I'll probably end up being a member of a course with a high bar bill. Right now though, I don't drink, I don't eat much at courses and I don't entertain clients. I play golf alone or with whoever wants to come out with me and then I leave. I'm all about playing and not so much about the socializing. So for people like me, the bar bill isn't good.

I think Emerald Links is the best deal in town.For a little bit more than $2000 you get a real nice 27 holes set up and good condition year round.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

Say "burjeay" when you will invite Mr. Poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Henry Burger? That's gotta be the chef's name right? Fine dining and they called it THAT??? Nice....

Oh, and yes, I know it's a fairly good place to eat. Never been yet, but hope to soon. Just find the name is a poor one...

Dan
    Very confusing when you invite people from Ottawa or the US... They think it is a hamburger joint. Actually the family name of Burger has been there for over 50 years. They were the Chef at the hotel Chez Henry in the 50s. It was originally Café Burger and run by the wife of the owner of the Chez Henry hotel Maman Burger.
    The patron-chef is Robert Bourassa... It is one of the very few 4 diamond restaurant in the Ottawa area. The only 5 diamonds is le Baccarat.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Big_duck
    Stonebridge ... or when Clublink officially purchases the place.
    That wasn't necessary either

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    I thought it was very funny...
    I also found it funny, and I live on the quebec side of the river.

Thread Information