CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clublink

Putter golfstud is on a distinguished road

Clublink

I'd like to get a general discussion going about Clublink and how great of a setup they have. I mean, why would you join anywhere else in town when they are just going to buy up all the best courses anyway?

What is your opinion?

Who has a better deal than clublink?

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    When they buy up all the courses maybe then it will be a good deal. I prefer to play at many different courses...most not owned by CL.

beatnik58
    Let's say you join Kanata Lakes at full pop. If you average the intitiation fee over 5 years it will have cost $7000 a year to play there. Even if you play 75 rounds it's still steep compared to Stonebridge or Eagle Creek. Maybe Club Link will buy up all the nice courses, maybe they won't. Even if they do, the mid-level courses around here are great and can be had very cheaply depending on time of play, joining one of the discount programs etc..

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Check the forum search for clublink. There should be many threads about what people on here think of it.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beatnik58
    Let's say you join Kanata Lakes at full pop. If you average the intitiation fee over 5 years it will have cost $7000 a year to play there. Even if you play 75 rounds it's still steep compared to Stonebridge or Eagle Creek. Maybe Club Link will buy up all the nice courses, maybe they won't. Even if they do, the mid-level courses around here are great and can be had very cheaply depending on time of play, joining one of the discount programs etc..
    You've taken the extreme in the area. Let's look at this realistically and with a longer lifespan than 5 years. I would hope someone would want to golf longer than 5 years. Let's take 10 years.

Entrance Fees:

Kanata - $22,500/10 = $2,250
    Greyhawk - $11,500/10 = $1,150
    Hautes Plaines - $6,500/10 = $650

Yearly Dues (without increases)

Kanata - $3,115
    Greyhawk - $2,570
    Hautes Plaines - $2,125

Total:

Kanata - $5,365
    Greyhawk - $3,720
    Hautes Plaines - $2,775

If you take the 80 rounds I played at Clublink courses last year, this works out to:

Kanata - $5,365/80 = $68
    Greyhawk - $3,720/80 = $47
    Hautes Plaines - $2,775/80 = $36

Now comes the fun part. I didn't just play my home club, Greyhawk, I played Kanata, Hautes Plaines, Le Maitre, Fontainebleau, Quatre Domains, and Lake Chesdin (in Virginia) for no additional charge besides the cart fee at Quatre Domain and Lake Chesdin. I could have also played Vals de Lac in the Montreal area or any number of 20+ Clublink courses in the Toronto area, including Glenn Abbey and a few in the Muskokas. Also when I travel, I have access to ClubCorp courses in the US, including Firestone, courses in Las Vegas, Hilton Head and Palm Springs.

I get a lot of variety, excellent course conditions and lots of benefits. If my club has an event and I can't get a tee time, I can head over to Kanata or Hautes Plaines. Or drive for a bit and play a course in the Montreal/Tremblant area. It is an additional benefit to members for Clublink to own a number of courses in an area because the whole principle is based on reciprocal play. It's not popular with non-members as most of the courses are private, and Clublink has a history of buying vs. building which takes some good courses out of daily fee rotation.

One of the best deals though is Hautes Plaines. As a Silver course, you get access to all of the Gold courses, like Greyhawk, at no charge, and the Platinum courses, like Kanata and Le Maitre, if there is a course closure for you, like a corporate event at the club. Otherwise, there is a charge.

It's a great deal if you can afford to get in. If Clublink buys another club in the Ottawa area, and last I heard they wanted two more, the initial buy in will be quite low and can be paid off interest free for up to 10 years.

It all depends on what you want to do. With the season pass at Stonebridge being $2,250, and my costs at Greyhawk this year (including initiation) being $3,500, the extra $1,250 is more than covered by my rounds at Le Maitre (6 last year at $185 going rate) and Fontainebleau (2 x $105) and I got to play all over instead of just at Stonebridge.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

beatnik58
    Like you say Colby, it all depends on personal choice and cashflow! I have nothing against Clublink, my brother is a member at Kanata lakes and he loves it. he even lets me tag along every now and then.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Just to counter my potential "ant-clublink" bias, I will admit that if you're looking to play a variety of courses and still have the benefits of membership, it's a pretty good deal.

I considered pulling the trigger on Greyhawk last year, but I still don't get out often enough to justify it. Maybe when the kids are older.

A question for the members, do you find that the membership population is too high for the area courses, i.e. trouble getting tee times, or is it about right?

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Just to counter my potential "ant-clublink" bias, I will admit that if you're looking to play a variety of courses and still have the benefits of membership, it's a pretty good deal.

I considered pulling the trigger on Greyhawk last year, but I still don't get out often enough to justify it. Maybe when the kids are older.

A question for the members, do you find that the membership population is too high for the area courses, i.e. trouble getting tee times, or is it about right?
    Last year was tough to get on Predator as Talon wasn't open yet and all ofthe members wanted to play. But when Talon opened up, everything cleared up, and it wasn't an issue at all to get times. Other courses will sometimes block the best times for their members, but I've never had an issue getting out to play when I want. Hautes Plaines, for some reason, always seems to have room and the conditions there are almost always great.

Also, for those interested, it looks like Greyhawk will have another initiation increase in late April...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    Nice write-up Colby. I joined Clublink last year just before Talon opened (and just before they increased the initiation fees) and I think by far it's the best thing going, if you play 60 or more rounds a year.

Not once did I have any trouble getting a tee time at Greyhawk. It seemed a little more difficult to arrange something in Tremblant though. I know they give priority to their home members and all, but you do need to book it pretty far in advance.

Anyway, the biggest advantage of playing anything that is Clublink is that you know the course conditions are gonna be perfect everytime. They certainly spend our money wisely on keeping the grounds in perfect condition.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    I'd be all over a Clublink membership in a heartbeat if there was a course closer to my house. Living south of the city, it is just too far to the 3 Ottawa courses they have. CL has courses west, north and east but nothing south. Yet.

The key is too get in early - I've got buddies at Greyhawk that paid $4K init. Looks like a pretty sweet deal now with it at $11.5K and still going up.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I am a ClubLink membre at Hautes Plaines. If you play more then 50 games a year, it’s the best deal in town. The beauty of it all is that I walk to my home course. So if I wish to play 5-6 holes I don’t need to pay a full 9 or 18 round.

Last year I played Hautes plaines, Kanata, Talon, Predator, Fontaine Bleau (2 weeks before the Telus skins game), Val des lacs, Le Maitre, Grandview (muskokas), Rocky crest(muskokas) at no additional cost. All top notch golf courses. I played about 70 games at no additional fee. All that for 2500$ is not bad in my books.

Being a member also gives you the opportunity to play all sorts of tournament like Intersectionnals, Intermatch play, 3 club tournament, AGF interclub Clublink (Hautes Plaines won this tournament last year and I was part of the team Bragging rights over Colby ) and the list goes on.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag
    The key is too get in early - I've got buddies at Greyhawk that paid $4K init. Looks like a pretty sweet deal now with it at $11.5K and still going up.
    Yep, I was a players card member at the Dôme when they decided to go private. I got in at 1795$. It’s now at 6000$ I think!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Being a member also gives you the opportunity to play all sorts of tournament like Intersectionnals, Intermatch play, 3 club tournament, AGF interclub Clublink (Hautes Plaines won this tournament last year and I was part of the team Bragging rights over Colby ) and the list goes on.
    Where does a CL member find out about these tournaments. As I mentioned, I just joined last year but will be looking to participate in all these different tournaments. I didn't hear much about them last year though...so what's the deal? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by guyfrompei
    Where does a CL member find out about these tournaments. As I mentioned, I just joined last year but will be looking to participate in all these different tournaments. I didn't hear much about them last year though...so what's the deal? Thanks,
    You should have a member account and password that gives you access to the member website. There is an event calendar setup with all the local qualification tournaments.

You can also talk to you team captain or assistant captain or local Pro. All CL courses have one.

At Hautes Plaines, the inscription forms are posted weekly on the bulletin board. The captain always mentions the upcoming tournaments on men’s night.

The down side of all this is that I am an inactive member this year. I have a newborn and a 2-year-old so golf time is cut down to one game max a week this year. :cryin The up side is that I will have more time to practice and get my self ready for the 2006 Tunis. I hope! :blush

Pitching Wedge Twisting is on a distinguished road
    Don't forget to add on the ridiculous bar bill too.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisting
    400$ is not a ridiculous bar bill. How much do you spend a year in food and beverages when and/or after playing golf? I spend double that amount in a season.

I don't consider that in my annuel fees cause I would be spending that much and more doing other activities like camping.

Agreed! I don't think it's bad at all. In fact I think it's great you can just sign for food and beverage while on/at the course. You would easily spend that much money or more playing all summer long at various other courses.

Quote Originally Posted by guyfrompei
    The tourneys start in May, with the AGF qualifier being played over the last weekend in May (I'm out again this year as I will be in Tremblant that weekend)
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I am a ClubLink membre at Hautes Plaines. If you play more then 50 games a year, it’s the best deal in town. The beauty of it all is that I walk to my home course. So if I wish to play 5-6 holes I don’t need to pay a full 9 or 18 round.

Last year I played Hautes plaines, Kanata, Talon, Predator, Fontaine Bleau (2 weeks before the Telus skins game), Val des lacs, Le Maitre, Grandview (muskokas), Rocky crest(muskokas) at no additional cost. All top notch golf courses. I played about 70 games at no additional fee. All that for 2500$ is not bad in my books.

Hahahaha, I tried to make the AGF team last year, but could only play one day of qualifying and missed the team by 4 points. This year I can't play any of the qualifying days, so oh well. Congrats on what looked like a good year last year, too bad you are out for most of it this year.
    Colby

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    $400 is ridiculous if it's for one day, which I've done. But over a year? At $4 per beer, that's only 100 beers over a season, or less than two per round if you play over 50 games. Figure some money will be spent on munchies after/before... That's nothing!

And if you are really opposed to the idea, I'm sure you could find someone to trade bar items for pro-shop items with (you pay their bar bill, they buy you a box of balls or something)....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

If you're already going to spend the money, then why even have the bar bill? They'll get your money anyway. This way just gaurantees them an extra $400. Even if members don't want to spend that much.

Personally, I think having to pay a bar bill is wrong. I joined Metcalfe this year and I have a $30 a month bar bill to pay for 6 months. Pennies compared to the club link bar bill, but I still don't agree with it.

I think its unfair to those who don't buy stuff at the course to eat or drink. I bring my own bottles of water and I don't drink alchohol either and I seldom eat at a course. I might spend $30 for the year on food at a course.

That's my 2 cents though

If you're already going to spend the money, then why even have the bar bill? They'll get your money anyway. This way just gaurantees them an extra $400. Even if members don't want to spend that much.

Personally, I think having to pay a bar bill is wrong. I joined Metcalfe this year and I have a $30 a month bar bill to pay for 6 months. Pennies compared to the club link bar bill, but I still don't agree with it.

I think its unfair to those who don't buy stuff at the course to eat or drink. I bring my own bottles of water and I don't drink alchohol either and I seldom eat at a course. I might spend $30 for the year on food at a course.

That's my 2 cents though
    I think our bar tab this year is 550 or 600. Which is cheaper than some other private cllubs around.

I'm not sure what your intentions were for joining Metcalfe, but I joined for the social atmosphere. I play Men's nights, we go to the Mother's Day brunches, nine and dines, etc. It doesn't take very long at all to use that tab up. If I bring some clients out, at $5 a beer, 3 clients will help me spend $30-50 really quickly!
    Colby

I understand that you are spending the money anyway throughout the season, so it's no big deal. However, for guys like myself, it's unfair for a course to make me spend money on food when I don't want or need to.

I joined Metcalfe so I could save some money while playing as much golf as possible because I'm addicted to it

Pitching Wedge LHSteve is on a distinguished road LHSteve's Avatar

Re: Clublink

I have been reading these entries with great interest. I am a member at Greyhawk also. I joined Clublink at the initial stage so I go in at a great deal. I have since moved from Ottawa and there in lies the beauty. I have retained my membership at Greyhawk, I still get back for about 20 games a year, and I can now play at any number of courses in the Toronto area free or for a small upcharge. If I had joined any other course in the Ottawa area my initiation fee would have been lost and I would have nothing. I also have the option to transfer to any other course in this area if I desire. As I expect to move back to Ottawa some day why would I. It is a great deal for someone who plays 50+ games per year and want's to play on top quality courses. The bar bill. I look at it this way. If you want them to have a quality facility and the ability to provide you with service then they have to have a quaranteed revenue stream and that they get through the bar bill. Every Clublink facility has additional events like brunches, dinners etc. It also provides you with access to facilities for workplace meetings events etc. I have never regretted my decision to join and have encouraged many.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I understand that you are spending the money anyway throughout the season, so it's no big deal. However, for guys like myself, it's unfair for a course to make me spend money on food when I don't want or need to.

I joined Metcalfe so I could save some money while playing as much golf as possible because I'm addicted to it
    The alternative would be to add the bar bill to the membership cost, which WOULD happen. I think the reason for the bar tab is to help sell the peripheral stuff. It's a club, but it's also a business. I'd almost be willing to bet that a public course's snackshop does better volume than a private course's, simply because of the volume of players. Plus, public courses would tend to attract a broader range of people, including the guys who go out primarily to drink, and maybe hit some balls towards a hole.

Like I said, if I were a member at Greyhawk or wherever, I'd post up an ad for guys like you who don't want to spend money in the bar. Transfer that bill requirement to me for cash each month! I'm sure I spend more than $1000 on beer and food and cigars each golf season.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

If a course wants to have a quality facility and service by use of a quaranteed revenue stream, they can eliminate the bar ball and up the membership price by a few hundred bucks. This guarantees that your few extra bucks goes towards the course and not to pay cooks/waitresses/kitchen supplies, etc. Your stream is based on the bar bill which is based on membership purchase, so you don't lose anything. In my eyes it's just a way to squeeze another $500 out the FEW members who don't spend their money on food and drinks. I agree that most people, who are members of clublink and therefore obviously have the money, will spend that much on food/drinks anyway. For the other small percent of members who don't - they get ripped off.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it's a different mentality IMHO. People who belong to private clubs (including Clublink) will spend more time at the club, golf more, and thus eat and drink more. They will also likely entertain. Another $400 on top of what you pay becomes irrelevant by and large. If you can afford to join, you can usually afford the food/beverage fee. You will also have no problem spending it and encourges you to support your own club as opposed to stopping somewhere on the way home, eating at home, etc. You know $ spent at your course go to funding it and keeping it viable. Invite some clients and you'll spend $400 in a couple of outings.

I am a green fee player, and it is not that often that we actually have food/drink after a round other than a pitcher or 2. We'll often buy a sandwich at the turn, etc. but that might be about it. If I multiplied that out, spending $400 is quite easy and I only play about 25-30 times a year.

The fact is, in 6-7 months of golfing around here, regardless of where you play, $400 is not a lot of cash to drop on food and drink at a course.

If a course wants to have a quality facility and service by use of a quaranteed revenue stream, they can eliminate the bar ball and up the membership price by a few hundred bucks. This guarantees that your few extra bucks goes towards the course and not to pay cooks/waitresses/kitchen supplies, etc. Your stream is based on the bar bill which is based on membership purchase, so you don't lose anything. In my eyes it's just a way to squeeze another $500 out the FEW members who don't spend their money on food and drinks. I agree that most people, who are members of clublink and therefore obviously have the money, will spend that much on food/drinks anyway. For the other small percent of members who don't - they get ripped off.
    A membership to a golf club is exactly that. It's a membership to a club that includes golf. Now not everyone participates in the social aspect of the club, but everything is set up that way to promote an active social participation by the members. If you want something that will maximize golfing with no membership pieces, you should have tried the Stonebridge players pass, or even the ReservationMasters Paltinum membership where you could play those courses with no additional fees.
    Colby

Metcalfe works out the best for my $$$ I don't have enough money for a Stonebridge or Platinum membership. I was debating the platinum one with Metcalfe though. Metcalfe has an intermediate membership, which is why I joined. The bar is $30 a month, so it's not too bad.

I have nothing against people enjoying the bar bill and having a willingness to fund their club. All I'm saying is that for me, personally, and I'm sure a few others like me, don't enjoy HAVING to spend money on food/drink in order to play golf as a member. I know the courses aren't going to change, and eventually when I start making more $$$ I'll probably end up being a member of a course with a high bar bill. Right now though, I don't drink, I don't eat much at courses and I don't entertain clients. I play golf alone or with whoever wants to come out with me and then I leave. I'm all about playing and not so much about the socializing. So for people like me, the bar bill isn't good.

ClubLink is not for everybody, that's for sure.

I can't wait to play golf.

Thread Information