100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noise Reduction

Gap Wedge Steven is on a distinguished road

Noise Reduction

Has anyone building a simulator in a spare room or their garage installed anything to reduce the noise? My wife is concerned it will be too loud. I thought some noise reducing curtains or panels might be effective. Has anyone attemptem this?

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    It's actually not that loud. The driver makes noise when you hit it but the ball noise is mostly determined by the net. A low-noise net like the PR-20 is basically silent. I also tried white bedsheets against regular netting and that was louder. Cory at Par2Pro has a table with all the different kinds of screens including how loud they are. I think the best image quality has more noise but like I said, it's not that loud (depending on how often you hit driver).

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    I combined efforts of sound-reduction and light control. I installed insulation sheathing panels on the walls and ceiling (4'x10' sheets of insulation; can be various thickness) with curtains on the walls and auto headliners (can be bought at a fabric store) to cover the panels for the ceiling. Not sure how big of a difference this makes because I never ran a before - after test. It seems to keep movie sound in check but you can still hear the ball hitting from upstairs (mine is in the basement and doubles as a movie theatre room)

For a more expensive route you can buy sound / acoustic panels like they use in a music sound room. I'm guessing that would me involved in a maximum effort at noise reduction. Those of course would be more expensive than some extra thick insulation panels from home depot.

The hit of the ball is pretty darn loud so there is only so much you can do. Muffling is the goal.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    This here is much cheaper and faster sound reduction!
    http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Golf-Pr.../dp/B000INHEYY

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    and they work with a GC2. . . . . spin numbers and distances look correct.

or yon can put a kingsize piece of memory foam directly behind screen in impact zone

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    CPA doe the GC2 pick up th almost balls? Are the distances not short with them?

lm pretty sure the distances are correct.- will check again soon.

Yes let us know. I think there was a gc2 user here one time ago that did look at the Almost balls and said there distances were short. Would make sense as they are supposed to be limited flight in distances.

but I think the initial speed and spin are correct thus the correct distance etc on GC2, ball was then slowed by air after Gc2 measures it. Yes I will check if the kids have not lost them all!

Last edited by bubba22; 11-04-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Amlost Balls & GC2

I was pretty sure soneone on this forum said the almost balls would not work well with the GC2 because it accurately measures the distance. Does the GC2 software allow boosting the power to offset the shorter distance of the almost balls?

My brother has a Tru Golf simulator. Their software allows you to boost a players power by a %. If the almost golf balls are made to go something like 50% the distance of a real golf ball then maybe boosting the player power would make them act like a real golf ball in the simulator.

Steven all systems will allow for distance boost through the software not just the Trugolf. I use the Protee and you can easily adjust the distances through the software. The limited flight balls do allow for better noise reduction compared to real balls as Sy says. The question was do they show a reduction in ball characteristics with the launch monitors like the GC2 and if so how much? The references I gave had 2 different users say that they were off with respect to the distances. CPA is going to check this and report back to us.

got 10 mins to test after finding a ball.

I have Brush T Limited Flight Practice Balls and Jef World of Golf Gifts and Gallery, Inc. 30% Distance Balls

could only find the Brush T but pretty sure they are the same product..

testing with 8 iron showed no difference between real and Brush T in distance or spin-in fact of the 20 alternating shots the Brush T registered the longest shot

the only difference was the feel of the hit, which one reason I use real balls.

Noise Reduction

Thanks CPA. That info will help a lot. I will wait on spending money on any noise reduction equipment until after the simulator is installed. I can always add on later if it is needed.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    CPA:
    Never liked the Brush-T balls those I had was very hard and would be as noisy as real golf balls. Is that the ones your tested?
    Anyway try a 3W or driver.

I find the speed off set to be larger the longer clubs you are using.
    While I use "Almost balls" I have the speed boost set to 1.03 for GW/PW going up ending with 1.08 for the driver.
    Not sure if that is the correct boost but it fits the distances I see on the course.

Could you please also try checking the spin and LA when you get time?
    And by the way which real golf ball are you comparing it to?

Thread Information