100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pin Placement

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question Pin Placement

What constitutes an unfair or unreasonable pin placement?

Played a course today (won't name it), great conditions but at least three of their pin placements were IMHO unfair to most golfers (and I'm being very generous). They were either at the bottom or middle of a relatively steep grade on the green. In two cases the pins were back L/R and "hidden" which I don't consider unfair. From any place on the green you had to hit up to a plateau then let the ball run down the other side to the hole. Unless you were perfect and hit the hole square your ball would run by 8'-10'. Regardless of speed there was no way any shot would stop short of the hole.

Tell me what is the point of having such difficult pin placements on a public course for non-tournament events?
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

Played a course today (won't name it), great conditions but at least three of their pin placements were IMHO unfair to most golfers (and I'm being very generous). They were either at the bottom or middle of a relatively steep grade on the green. In two cases the pins were back L/R and "hidden" which I don't consider unfair. From any place on the green you had to hit up to a plateau then let the ball run down the other side to the hole. Unless you were perfect and hit the hole square your ball would run by 8'-10'. Regardless of speed there was no way any shot would stop short of the hole.

Tell me what is the point of having such difficult pin placements on a public course for non-tournament events?
    There is no "point." It's just stupidity!

Golf Canada recommends that pins be placed no less than 4 paces from the edge of the putting green, and, that if a player's ball is "above" the hole, that he should be able to stop the ball at the hole. Now, there are many local golf hole that have built in "design flaws," where it is not possible to stop the ball by the hole, about which nothing can be done. However, a knowledgeable pin setter will not cut the holes in these "unfair" positions. It should be a greater challenge to make a putt if the player's ball ends up above the hole, but it should not be impossible.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    My playing partner made the observation that the course was trying to put too many features / challenges in too small a space. These are not the greens we all see on the PGA Tour, but relatively small ones with little room to incorporate all the elevation and contours.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    when there's no flag in the hole?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

4 Iron SecondChance is on a distinguished road

Yesterday at Stonebridge, on the par 3-15th, the pin was way back at the right corner. You have to carry two bunkers, a tree in front to get there. Even if you hit the pin, the ball will roll off to the collection area. We couldn't find the flag when we step on the tee box .

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondChance View Post
    Yesterday at Stonebridge, on the par 3-15th, the pin was way back at the right corner. You have to carry two bunkers, a tree in front to get there. Even if you hit the pin, the ball will roll off to the collection area. We couldn't find the flag when we step on the tee box .
    nothing wrong with that location at all.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information