100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar

cutting a putter down without adding lead tape

Is it possible to have a putter cut down from 35 t0 33 ish inches and not have to add lead tape to re-balance the swing weight?

I have a putter that is just too long but I hate adding lead tape but I just cant stand messing with the swing weight. Is there a way a club builder can do the cut without ruining the swing weight or adding swing weight in another way other than lead tape.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Lead powder down the shaft, but that then messes with the axis point as you are moving weight away from the head. Only other option I can think of is to go to a lighter grip.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My two cents.

The traditional "swingweight" used for irons/woods does not make sense for putters because you are not really swinging a putter the same way you are those other clubs.

Total weight is what really matters. If you like the weight of the putter, cut it down and don't sweat the swingweight.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    My two cents.

The traditional "swingweight" used for irons/woods does not make sense for putters because you are not really swinging a putter the same way you are those other clubs.

Total weight is what really matters. If you like the weight of the putter, cut it down and don't sweat the swingweight.
    I did that with an Odyssey last year and after that it was ruined. I couldnt putt the same with it after.

Then the length isn't the problem or maybe more correctly isn't the only problem.

If you think you need it shorter, cut it shorter. If it doesn't work, add more weight in an ugly fashion to see if it works. If it doesn't then that wasn't the problem. If it does then add it in a less ugly way. Or start with the longer putter and add weight.

Just curious, why do you think the putter is too long? Also, it's easy to extend the putter back if you don't like it short.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    I did that with an Odyssey last year and after that it was ruined. I couldnt putt the same with it after.
    I'm with you on this issue. I like my putter length at 33" and that's why i won't get another putter unless it has a headweight of 350g or more. Anything less than that weight just feels too light for me. I notice a few putter brands will have heavier heads for shorter lengths(Scotty Select and some Odyssey models). Not sure about the whole swing weight thingy but its all about feel to me.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    This is from rogermaltby.com

So, if you look at the chart, assuming putter headweight is 338 grams 35", you'd have a swing weight of d8. If you lop off 2 inches, you'll be dropping to C5. Pretty significant change without adding any weight to compensate.
    Attached Images

Significant if you swing a putter the same way you swing a 7 iron.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I cut all my putters to 31 or 32 inches, I can't putt with anything longer than that.
    I put in one of these in my Scotty Cameron after it was cut to 32 inches: TOUR LOCK PRO WEIGHT
    http://www.golfworks.ca/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TL0001
    I don't know if this will help you, but it made my putter feel much better and helped my putting stroke immensely.
    I put in the 100 gram weight and it was perfect. You could try this.
    It cost $16.50 and I did the install myself.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    Is it possible to have a putter cut down from 35 t0 33 ish inches and not have to add lead tape to re-balance the swing weight?

I have a putter that is just too long but I hate adding lead tape but I just cant stand messing with the swing weight. Is there a way a club builder can do the cut without ruining the swing weight or adding swing weight in another way other than lead tape.
    What is the actual problem with the led tape ?

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Significant if you swing a putter the same way you swing a 7 iron.
    It's a chart specifically for putters...not any other clubs.

Yes, but the chart is for guesstimating putter head weight, not for matching "feel" which is what swingweight for other clubs is supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    What is the actual problem with the led tape ?
    simply cosmetic. I think it ruins to look of the putter. I currently play a method core which has lead tape on the bottom to compensate for the super stroke slim grip but ideally I would like to see the pretty graphics.

I have another method core which is 35" right now and its just way too long. I have to bend my arms alot and its not the comfortable repeatable stance that I need. I was just looking to see if it was possible to do without the tape plus I would ideally like to put a super stoke slim or a similar grip on it as well therefor messing with the swing weight some more.

Is it possible to put a lighter putter shaft then the stock ones therefor eliminating the change in swing weight? Or are my only possible options lead tape or maybe lead powder in the shaft?

You can also put weight in the cavity behind the face of the putter or brass weights in the tip of the shaft.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    So, the pretty graphics you speak of are on the sole of the putter ? if that's the case, you only see the dreaded led tape when it's in the bag ,right ? Solution, use a head cover for the putter !

A lighter shaft will do squat. You are looking to replace the feel of 24 grams of weight in the head, 24 grams ! Not going to happen without led tape or, a custom manufactured brand new putter head.

I have 20gr. of the stuff on the bottom of my 33.5'' Oddesy. Looks fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    So, the pretty graphics you speak of are on the sole of the putter ? if that's the case, you only see the dreaded led tape when it's in the bag ,right ? Solution, use a head cover for the putter !

A lighter shaft will do squat. You are looking to replace the feel of 24 grams of weight in the head, 24 grams ! Not going to happen without led tape or, a custom manufactured brand new putter head.

I have 20gr. of the stuff on the bottom of my 33.5'' Oddesy. Looks fine to me.
    So its basically not possible without the tape. That sucks. Still I like the putter so well see.

Thank you everybody for the responses. The putter right now is a 350G head (mallet style) so theres plenty of room for loads of tape if need be. Well see.

One option that hasn't been discussed is to drill out some holes in the putter and fill them with tungsten plugs. If done well it can look quite good.

Thread Information