100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

Clear Springs Golf Course

Anybody played this course. If so, can you provide me with some info re; mid summer course conditions, compare to local courses, clubhouse amenities, quality of food, bar etc.
    Thanks.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Hey Andy,

Clear Springs is located abotu 10k east of Powassan, Ontario... and Powassan is about 25k south of North Bay... but, because you're asking about it, you likely already know where it is...

Clear Springs was built by a gent who ran a farm on the same land... I think he still owns the place (or the family does anyway)... while the layout / design isn't terribly imaginative or sophisticated, the conditions are generally quite good - the course is well known in the area for having the most receptive and the smooth greens in the area.

I grew up in North Bay, and was a member at both the North Bay Golf and Country Club (private) and Clear Springs (offers memberships and green fees)... played Clear probably a few hundred times... it's one of those courses that kinda grows on you... it's basic golf, without many frills... the clubhouse is understated yet functional, and the menu has stayed the same for the past 20 years...

The front nine is the newer nine - for many years it was just a ball-in-rack nine hole joint, played the whites on the first loop, the blues on the second loop... the newer nine is on the clubhouse side of the road, and if memory serves, it plays a bit longer than the old nine (but still not that long from the tips, maybe just shy of 6400 yards, and that might be stretching it)...

Let me know if you have any more questions about Clear Springs...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information