CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Question Component vs. Brand Name iron sets

I'm just wondering what everyone's honest opinion is on these component sets. I remember back 10 or 15 years ago, my brother had a component set I played with. I found them to be very cheap looking, and the feel was just no there. I have been reading a little bit on the new components, and some of them are pretty nice looking.

What, IN YOUR OPINION, are the major differences between the two. I know one could spend similar money on fitting and the set combined as buying a brand name set and being fit as well.

If I were looking to get a set, I'd be looking for forged with 4,5,6 irons being cavity back and 7-PW muscle back.

Feel is very important for me, as well as look. If it doesn't suit my eye, I probably won't play well with it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's the way it is for me.

Lets use a forged Mizuno set like MP-64 or a Titleist CB and MB set for comparison. What is out there in comparison to these sets?

Finally...Who is the recommended club fitter/builder in the Ottawa area these days?

Thanks for the input guys. This is just something I've been pondering on boring work days here overseas.

As of now, I have my eyes on Titleist for a new set next season. I know for sure I want to be fit for 913's in driver, weak 3-wood, and hybrid.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    i've played both component and brand name oem clubs and IMO if you buy a good set of component clubs and a good set of brand name clubs there is no difference. last season i had a set of golfsmith irons made to my specs and love them. they feel just as good as any oem set. I'm a big fan of the older snake eyes and golfsmith irons which are a little difficult to find now. my next set will likely be a component set of Wishon, or KZG irons. i know there are a few on here who play Wishon irons and love them. also know a few people who have played KZG irons and won't play anything else. I've never used any of the club fitters/builders in the area but I've heard great things about Artisan golf. i really like the option of fully customizing my clubs (grips, shafts, lofts, lie) and find component clubs are less expensive.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Quote Originally Posted by gregnol View Post
    i've played both component and brand name oem clubs and IMO if you buy a good set of component clubs and a good set of brand name clubs there is no difference. last season i had a set of golfsmith irons made to my specs and love them. they feel just as good as any oem set. I'm a big fan of the older snake eyes and golfsmith irons which are a little difficult to find now. my next set will likely be a component set of Wishon, or KZG irons. i know there are a few on here who play Wishon irons and love them. also know a few people who have played KZG irons and won't play anything else. I've never used any of the club fitters/builders in the area but I've heard great things about Artisan golf. i really like the option of fully customizing my clubs (grips, shafts, lofts, lie) and find component clubs are less expensive.
    Is this true even with the cost of fitting/customization? I was under the impression it would be similar to getting an OEM set, which comes fitted for free. I figured the components would be cheaper themselves, but the cost of the fitting/building the set would bring them to around the same ballpark price?

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    I would also think the price of a component set would be similar in price after Iron/wood fitting. Most fittings will cost between $50-$150 before the price of any clubs even come into play. I was quoted that a custom driver can cost anywhere between $280-$425 depending on the components, plus the price of a driver fitting. So I would say that is similar to the more expensive OEM drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
    I would also think the price of a component set would be similar in price after Iron/wood fitting. Most fittings will cost between $50-$150 before the price of any clubs even come into play. I was quoted that a custom driver can cost anywhere between $280-$425 depending on the components, plus the price of a driver fitting. So I would say that is similar to the more expensive OEM drivers.
    This is what I've heard as well, but don't have any concrete numbers to go on.

I suppose I'm looking to compare. I mean nowadays, you can fully customize and fit any OEM as well. So what would be the advantage of one over the other?

For example...Say I purchased a set of forged irons that were OEM and was fit for free by my local Pro or by a Titleist rep or similar. All lofts and lies can be checked. You can bend a forged club pretty easily. They can fit for a shaft, grip size, and the drivers and woods are so adjustable these days....

I think these are the same things that a non-OEM option would offer as well correct?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Component vs OEM ..... good question
    I've had Wishon clubs , and the quality of the overall product was excellent.
    You'll save on money too , even after you've been fitted by a professional
    The biggest difference is re-sale , you won't get much for component clubs vs OEM ,if you decide to change equipment .
    I've used Les McBride (downhillslider) and i think the guy is a great club fitter.

Saying that , i'm now sporting a set of Mizuno Mp-52's fitted by a Mizuno club fitter .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    i went about it this way.

having previously been fitted for other sets of clubs i took the same specs went out and purchased all the components myself and then just had them put together to my specs. everything in my set cost half of what an OEM cost. sure OEM fitters will do a fitting for free but it's going to be based on what they have available in their custom shaft options and grip options which is just a list of all the major manufactures. for example i purchased sharpro grips rather then golf pride grips. cost per grip was $4 rather then $8-12. you can also get FST shafts or discontinued or pulls from someone else at a quarter of the price. just my two cents
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I have been component for many years, and I build/fit my own.

Your comment about needing to fit your eye is a good one. No matter who makes the head, if you don't like the look of it, it's a losing proposition. I've been Wishon for the last few years but the older Golfsmith/SnakeEyes forged irons were quite nice. Simple, clean lines, low offset.

One nice thing about Wishon is that he also does his own shafts. My current set (575MMC, which you would probably like) are shafted with his new steel shaft which he described as a mix between the PX and the KBS Tour. It's very nice. And it cost me less than $10 a shaft compared to $30 for the PX/KBS.

If you don't care about resale, then component can be as good or better than OEM. If you get professionally fit/built then you will spend close to what you would spend on OEM but if you build yourself it will be much less.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I play Wishon driver and hybrid; KZG forged irons and love them both. Callaway wedges, only becasue I got a really good deal on them used here on the forum, otherwise I would be playing Wishon or KZG wedges.
    If I ever buy another set of irons it will be Wishon all the way.
    I have had a few sets of Callaway and I was a huge Callaway Fanboy for years, but KZG and Wishon came along and I got great deals on them used and had my builder put them together with the shafts I wanted.
    I don't think I will go back to OEM clubs ever, but you never know.
    Don at Artisan Golf is amazing, I had him do a full bag evaluation a couple of years ago and I learned a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to have him do a fitting or club making, he is very good.
    The Wishon 575MMC that JVincent plays are the best looking iron I have ever seen.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

To save EdmG the trouble, here is the picture, which does not do them justice.

Very good input. If I was going to build my own, which I do not have the equipment for, I would probably go towards he component world if they have improved that much. But I think with the cost of a professional fitting session, and having the person build the clubs as well, for me personally, it would be a very similar cost going either direction.

I really do need a fitting or evaluation for sure. I'll probably work on my swing a bit this winter and get in to see someone once I'm consistent.

I think I've Google'd your 575's JV. They do look sweet for sure.

They look very similar to Mizuno. They are sweet looking for sure.

On an off-topic note...I think I need to change my display name. I'm no longer an Edmonton Golfer. HAHA!

When you get back if the weather is still good we can try to get out for a round and you can see them in person.

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road
    On an off-topic note...I think I need to change my display name. I'm no longer an Edmonton Golfer. HAHA!

I wouldn't worry about it to much, look at mine

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    When you get back if the weather is still good we can try to get out for a round and you can see them in person.
    Yeah for sure. I really hope it stays half decent. I plan on golfing every day from the 18th to the 28th with the exception of the 20th and 21st. When does your course close?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post

I think these are the same things that a non-OEM option would offer as well correct?
    More from a clubfitter.

1) Can be frequency matched as oposed to cut and glue from the OEM

2) OEM is an assembly line therefore the standard swingweight of their clubs is D2 in most instances. Perhaps you'd do better at D4 or D.0 or having a set MOI matched.

3) More shafts and flexes to select from and can even be fitted using bending profiles or more precisely a profile that suits you.

4) Standard length clubs with OEMS. Should everyone play a 3 iron at 39 inches?

5)Launch angle , spin rate,face angle can be measured for driver fitting instead of just buying off the rack. Look at the classifieds under right hand drivers

6) probably a whole heck of a lot more but nuff said.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I am playing Maltby KB4 Forged irons. To me, they feel very similar to previous Mizino's that I have owned. You can't go wrong with some of the higher end components. Though there are certainly some 'cheaply made' components out there. You would know much more than enough to avoid those, however.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Just curious, anyone hitting Wishon clubs, who/where did you purchase them and get fitted by? They're nice looking clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    More from a clubfitter.

1) Can be frequency matched as oposed to cut and glue from the OEM Good Point

2) OEM is an assembly line therefore the standard swingweight of their clubs is D2 in most instances. Perhaps you'd do better at D4 or D.0 or having a set MOI matched.We used to order different swing weights for OEM. Is this not possible anymore?

3) More shafts and flexes to select from and can even be fitted using bending profiles or more precisely a profile that suits you.Don't most manufacturers offer all kinds of shafts for order?

4) Standard length clubs with OEMS. Should everyone play a 3 iron at 39 inches?Possible to order different lengths as far as I know..

5)Launch angle , spin rate,face angle can be measured for driver fitting instead of just buying off the rack. Look at the classifieds under right hand driversI'd never buy a driver right off the rack. I plan to have a fitting done by Titleist with Launch Monitor

6) probably a whole heck of a lot more but nuff said.
    All very good points but keep in mind, I am not comparing buying off the rack to component. I am comparing a proper fitting for OEM vs. a proper fitting for components. I'm pretty sure TM, Titleist, Ping, etc etc etc all offer free fitting followed by custom orders. I'm trying to weigh the benefits of one or the other along with the cost for each.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Billy, yes most OEMs should be able to customize most parameters for you. But one of the main advantages of components is being able to be fit for proper flex in irons and wedges. If you happen to be an in-between flex type of guy, with the .370 hosels you can customize your flex where the OEMs will have to either fit you into a too soft or too stiff of a flex.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Billy, yes most OEMs should be able to customize most parameters for you. But one of the main advantages of components is being able to be fit for proper flex in irons and wedges. If you happen to be an in-between flex type of guy, with the .370 hosels you can customize your flex where the OEMs will have to either fit you into a too soft or too stiff of a flex.
    Is it possible to hard or soft step them though as well or not possible with OEM?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    You can, but you are still guessing on the exact flex. .370 tips takes that out of the equation.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Interesting!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Have played component irons since the early 1980's. Currently playing with the Wishon 575's and for me, they are the nicest looking (particularly at address) and best feeling clubs that I have ever assembled. Perhaps it's the MOI and Single Frequency Matching that I do in assembly, that suits my swing and that adds to the enjoyment, but one cannot go wrong choosing these heads.

What I like about the Wishon heads is the weight port that has been drilled into each head, enabling the club maker to fine tune the assembly, particularly when MOI matching.

There are obviously a lot of excellent OEM heads available, but no matter how "fitted" the clubs may be at a retailer, they will better fitted by guys like Don or Les, or someone who knows what they are doing. Having disassembled dozens of OEM sets over the years, for example, I have yet to find a set to be properly frequency matched, regardless of frequency matching method used.

Yeah for sure. I really hope it stays half decent. I plan on golfing every day from the 18th to the 28th with the exception of the 20th and 21st. When does your course close?
    We officially close on the 31st.

where did you guys buy and get fitted for your wishon clubs?

From what I've heard, KZG and Wishon are the component clubs that are the cream of the crop. Is this correct?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar

From what I've heard, KZG and Wishon are the component clubs that are the cream of the crop. Is this correct?
    Contact Downhillslider on the forum , he should be able to help you out.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Interesting!!
    http://wishongolf.com/wp-content/upl...12mythsPDF.pdf
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    I was waiting to see when this would show up.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

I have my own account so I order directly and build my own. I believe all of the professional builders on the forum have access to Wishon.

Thread Information