CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

PLEASE wear sunscreen

Hi Everyone,

I'm not trying to be a dick and tell people what they should or shouldn't do, but I implore you to please wear sunscreen, or some sort of UV protection, when you're doing outdoor activities such as golf.

A friend at work passed away this morning from skin cancer (malignant melanoma). She was only in her early 40's...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that....yep sunscreen becoming more important for sure!
    Twitter: Gropper76

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Sorry to hear...

My co-worker sent this out just Friday which relates to this topic...

If you could give one piece of advice to your 16-yr-old self, what would it be? Watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DCMFCanada

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Yeah i'm bad about it and need to smarten up, played Friday morning with Rez without any on and my head and face were fried. Time to smarten up.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm wearing 55. Decided I have to start taking the sun seriously.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    When I started playing golf, I used to not put it on all the time, or wear a hat. I now make sure I put on sunscreen, even when its overcast and always wear a hat. The last step is wearing sunglasses with UV protection as well, because it is pretty damaging to your eyes, but I haven't gotten there yet...

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Agreed. I was out all weekend working on the fence at home, and didn't even give it a second thought. Got in the shower last night and my skull was on fire when the hot water hit it.

Always keep some in my golf bag, though I'm sure I should use more than I do.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    sorry to hear about your friend. some things to keep in mind about sunscreen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potenti...s_of_sunscreen

7 Iron Tee made is on a distinguished road Tee made's Avatar
    I wouldn't take too much of that wiki page to heart. The main 3 points they are claiming as draw backs to sunscreen include:
    1. Some sunscreens only protect against UVB radiation, and not against the more dangerous UVA component of the spectrum.
    Incomplete protection against the full ultraviolet spectrum, combined with increased time spent in the sun, can lead to an increase in the risks of developing malignant melanoma, a rarer but more deadly form of skin cancer. - Now a days almost all sunscreen (esp SPF30+ will have UVA and UVB protection
    2. Some sunscreen ingredients (such as oxybenzone, benzophenone, octocrylene, or octyl methoxycinnamate) may be potentially carcinogenic or have other health risks. While some of these chemicals used may be carcinogenic, the sun is absolutely carcinogenic. You would be hard pressed to find a Dermatologist in this country who is more worried about the ingredients of sunscreen than they are about the risks of you getting a sunburn when it comes to overall cancer risk
    Reduced exposure to ultraviolet light in sunlight can contribute to Vitamin D deficiency. You need ~5 minutes of exposure on your hands and face from the sun to synthesize enough vitamin D per day. We Canadians only have a problem with vitamin D the other 6 months a year.

My buddy got me into using one of those sunscreen sticks (for face/neck anyways) http://pics2.ds-static.com/prodimg/249018/300.JPG . They keep better in a hot golf bag and then you don't have to go wash your hands or let slip your driver 30 yards down the fairway on the first tee.

Thread Information