CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road

Real vs PT Distances and Flight

Great to hear all the positive stories....I have not had my PT working very long but I know my winter practice has improved my ball striking. I use real balls inside w/PT and I am now finding that in order to get similar results (to outside) I need to the following settings:
    chs 1.3, BS 1.25 all others default (including spin).

I also am noticing that my real outdoor shots are more consistent than the PT. Not sure what to make of all this. FYI, conditions here have been perfect for calibration as we are experiencing very little roll so I am comparing carry distances for the most part. Would love to hear some feedback on the adjustment issue.

FYI, for those mid-high handicappers I have switched to using carry distances as my main factor in club/shot selection and my game has improved a notch.....my GIR is way better!

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    I will try out those settings.

bcgc0918
    I have found that using the slot for carry distance in the players club set and adjusting the drag works better for me. My shots are as consistent inside as they are outside. When I used the method of chs adjustment to get my distance my chips were very touchy. A consistent flop shot was never er the case until I used the drag and set my carry in the club set. Almost all my settings are now default and spin is set at .60 for all but driver which is .70. Drag is different for all clubs. Of course the putter is 0 for everything. Protee suggests using the drag method as well.

2 Iron stevnkrn is on a distinguished road
    The weather has been pretty crappy here is western Wisconsin but I got 9 holes in last night and shot an even par 36 on a cold (low 50's F), wet and windy late afternoon round. I hit the first 6 greens in regulation, had one birdie, one bogie and the rest pars. I hit balls on my GSA PX5 system almost every day all winter long. Plus I got Rocketbalzier with some new Taylormade hybrids and irons a couple of months ago. With all the practice and the new clubs I have a confidence over the ball early this season that usually takes me months to develop. I've hit so many balls with detailed visual and numerical feedback on every shot for so long that it is almost second nature now. I don't know how long it will last but it sure was fun playing last night.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Nice shooting stevnkrn. I love my Rocketbladez irons. Haven't tried the RBZ hybrids yet. My 2.0s are working great so no need to change. Just curious, what do you have side spin set at?

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bcgc0918 View Post
    I have found that using the slot for carry distance in the players club set and adjusting the drag works better for me. My shots are as consistent inside as they are outside. When I used the method of chs adjustment to get my distance my chips were very touchy. A consistent flop shot was never er the case until I used the drag and set my carry in the club set. Almost all my settings are now default and spin is set at .60 for all but driver which is .70. Drag is different for all clubs. Of course the putter is 0 for everything. Protee suggests using the drag method as well.
    I have found the drag method works best for distance as well. But your spin settings seem very severe. I only changed the spin setting from default to 0.90 on the driver, 3 wood and 4 iron. Perhaps settings for real balls vs limited flight balls will vary?

Just an observation cvclub, but your settings for chs and ball speed seem very high compared to what most are using. Something must be throwing things off. Are you hitting the ball cleanly on most shots?

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    I have found the drag method works best for distance as well. But your spin settings seem very severe. I only changed the spin setting from default to 0.90 on the driver, 3 wood and 4 iron. Perhaps settings for real balls vs limited flight balls will vary?
    Psace you only changed just those 3 clubs? Z had suggest .85 for all which I did make. How did you just select those three clubs? What do you have the others set at? I am curious as I use a real ball also.

Quote Originally Posted by bubs3141 View Post
    Psace you only changed just those 3 clubs? Z had suggest .85 for all which I did make. How did you just select those three clubs? What do you have the others set at? I am curious as I use a real ball also.
    If you leave the global setting at 1.00, you can adjust each club individually. Try .85 for driver/woods and .80 for irons.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I got driver and woods side spin at 0.9 and irons at 1.1
    For me the iron settings are to forgiving on the ProTee
    Guess it depends on what kind of golf balls people are using outside? I prefer settings where you have to be precise on the ProTee since you get a perfect lie on every shot.

Not sure what settings are better or worse.......I use spin at default because I did not want to make the shots easier than real life. I also wanted to be able to draw and fade the ball as in real shots. I have found that for my driver and 3 wood I am using chs 1.17 and 1.13. If I use the same numbers for chs/Bs I seem to get better results.....My reason for changing anything is to simply replicate my outdoor flight.....I have given up worrying about chs or bs, or smash.

I strike the ball crisp outside, I carry golfshot to record the data, then I try my best to replicate the feel and shot w/the PT......and I adjust the PT to get the outside results. At the end of the day I am puzzled why the adjustments are what they are but as long as I can work on my game I am good to go!

Do you find that w/those spin settings you are closer to real outdoor shots? My experience has been that with those settings I hit the ball too well......and I can not draw or fade my irons as in real golf......

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Nice shooting stevnkrn. I love my Rocketbladez irons. Haven't tried the RBZ hybrids yet. My 2.0s are working great so no need to change. Just curious, what do you have side spin set at?
    On my GSA PX5 system I currently have Back Spin set at .65, Side Spin set at 1.00 and Spin Axis set at 1.8 on the Show Club Angles screen and .85 for Ball Flight Curve on the Sensor Settings Screen. I've played around quite a bit with these setting and these setting appear to give me ball flight characteristics close to what I see on the course. In the winter months I turned all the spin settings up a bit to exaggerate hooks (which is my problem shot) as a training aid. I think it helped me groove a more reliable swing plane.

Quote Originally Posted by stevnkrn View Post
    On my GSA PX5 system I currently have Back Spin set at .65, Side Spin set at 1.00 and Spin Axis set at 1.8 on the Show Club Angles screen and .85 for Ball Flight Curve on the Sensor Settings Screen. I've played around quite a bit with these setting and these setting appear to give me ball flight characteristics close to what I see on the course. In the winter months I turned all the spin settings up a bit to exaggerate hooks (which is my problem shot) as a training aid. I think it helped me groove a more reliable swing plane.
    Backspin? That must be something new. Can you do that for each club or is it a global setting? I set my spin and distances to be as close as possible to what I see on the course.

Unfortunately Back Spin, Side Spin and Spin Axis are global settings. These were added to the Control Panel back in February, but have been tweaked a couple of times since. There are sliders on the Show Club Angles screen.

bcgc0918
    Quote Originally Posted by bcgc0918 View Post

I don't know what I was thinking... driver spin is .87. And all the others are between .86 and .93. 3 wood is .93 and it gets less as I get to the short clubs. I have not messed with the settings for some time now since I changed to the drag method.

That makes more sense! I guess we all will have to adjust differently in order to mimick the outdoor experience. I would like to know what people do for their guest golfers? The last time I checked there was not a working guest club set??

bcgc0918
    My settings are a group setting... I have 5 other players that were involved in getting g the settings right for all of us..its too easy to juice stuff up if it is one player making all the settings adjustments. We play for fairly high stakes so everyone is pretty touchy about anyone having an advantage. My advantage is I don't slam a beer every hole like the scratch golfers do. So the field is even by the 4 the hole... and if we bs for a while beforehand it might be even on hole one... lol

Not sure what you mean by a group setting? as an example, I had my son n law over and we played 9 holes (Fairmount...very difficult) but he hits the ball a lot better than I do so his clubs were consistently lite......what should I do for that? I am also LH so I am not sure about RH players and there various club distances,etc.

bcgc0918
    I mean we all agreed on a setting. And for the most part when 2 of us agreed that the distance and ball flight was realistic for outside play the others also found the setting to be correct. The only disagreement was on the 3 wood and long irons. In my opinion the spin is too much as I have never hit a ball into the opposite fairway and using our setting I find myself in the wrong fairway more than I will admit. But their argument was it is near impossible to shape a shot . So we use the high spin and I curse a lot...lol but on the upside I hit those clubs a lot better now..

Ok, I see what you are doing.....That could work if the golfers are reasonably close......I still have the LH/RH issue, especially if I adjust swing path or face.......

I agree on the spin issue....I played outside today and I had several nice baby draws w/my irons but even with spin set at 1.0 I can not replicate those shot shapes on the PT.....I may try 1+ settings on a few and see if that helps.........

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    CV do you have the Play mode on 100%?
    I found if I just dropped it 10% I could not make a baby draw.

Didn't find a huge difference between 1 and 1.1 on the side spin with the irons. The driver I too find hard to use on 100% even with 90% it still less forgiven than my driver outside.

Also like other say use drag to adjust distances, ball speed looks to me to mess with the ball flight.

Did you get receive the new Protee?

I am using the new unit......and I have play @ 100%......Not sure why my chs/bs are higher with real balls but that seems necessary to produce outside conditions. I experimented w/drag but found it unrealistic. I have a nice field nearby where I was able to hit balls and record true carry distances. I have found that if I keep the chs/bs similar the results seem better and more consistent. I have also noticed that with spin at default (1.0) my shots are reasonable and not too easy. At .85 they were too forgiving...my only concern is that with outside shots I can shape better....I am thinking it's the ball type? I do use prov1x and bridgestone rs for the most part and I get decent shapes, and good spin around the greens.

Heading off today for a 54 outing.....using the golfshot app and so far I like it much better than golf buddy!

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    I just got my GC2 two weeks ago and have since been working on my swing. I am a high handicapper, usually shoot around 100 but slowly improving.

Anyways since I got the GC2 I have really been unloading on the ball. I have up'ed my swing speed a good 5mph at least as I am swinging with more confidence, and I am adding distance on all my clubs.

Right now the GC2 is telling me I am hitting draw after draw. Most of my shots are between-500 and -1500 RPMs. Not sure if I should be worried yet or not. Occasionally i'll really hook a ball over -2000 RPMs but usually I am drawing the ball somewhat.

I mentioned this in the GC2 thread, at some point I have to make it out to the range with the GC2 to ensure I am getting accurate readings. I do love this thing though... Thanks Cory!

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Excellent Dj. Dont forget the short game a well.
    Last edited by bubba22; 05-31-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    RJ you will work it out with SB2 with video. Swingpath too in out compared to clubface or turning over clubface too quickly. Number of fixes and could be a simple as grip. Good luck. Look at some pros and their big draws which they play to.

After a few rounds outside I can make a few comments about ProTee simulation.

As some have mentioned, I find the distance for the driver is too short on default settings for the ProTee. I am driving about 30 yards farther outside. What settings are others using for the driver (chs, drag, etc).

The side spin for some of the longer irons (esp the 4 and 5 iron) are excessive even with a setting of 0.85. I never fade or slice these irons but found I often do on the simulator. I don't think the woods are too far off, however.

Chipping, pitching are very accurate which is a good thing.

Putting is so difficult to simulate. The ProTee does a descent job but can't compare to putting a real green. Alignment and other variables make this almost impossible.

Uneven lies, rough and sand are other conditions hard to emulate on a simuator.

Overall, I find the whole experience on the ProTee well worth the price and I would give it an 8 out of 10 for accuracy and fun factor.

Pitching Wedge Santiago is on a distinguished road
    Some things I achieved practicing in my CG2. Drop my handicap from 6 to 3. Made even PAR from me tips on my home course for the first time. Made 2 holes in one in one month. (I got 4 total).

What happens on the GC2 happens in real life, distance is exactly what i hity on the course. All in all it was a great investment.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Last 4 rounds - 73, 75, 75, 76 . Handicap 5 to 4. No doubt striking improved with winter ProTee golf.

Awesome scores bubba22. You got skills!!!

Thread Information