CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Looking to hit a cut jh? I think of the d plane / face to path ratio.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Bubba22, perhaps you, jhp, and other single digit golfers can share with us how you guys go about hitting draws, fades, cuts, etc... in terms setup, swing, and Protee/GC2 data.

Thanks.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Yeh Z and while they are at it perhaps the meaning of life too!

Yep.

Draw I make sure my grip is strong, aim right and concentrate on releasing the club through impact. That lows me to come fom this side and release to hopefully kep clubhead closed relative to path. Tendency is to hook if too aggressive.

Fade I flare my front foot and hips open, aiming me slightly left , weaken my grip and swing out to in concentrating on NOT releasing the club. My go to shot now!

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Yeh Z and while they are at it perhaps the meaning of life too!
    LOL...I'll just settle for shot shaping for now. Will have to open a new thread for the meaning of life...

Oh and for the draw I really try to stay behind and release while the fade I hold as I hit through.

Hybrid jhp016s is on a distinguished road
    I will be honest, i struggle to hit any kind of cut shot, except for maybe a cutting punch shot (i am in the trees alot). If i want to try an hit a cut i pick a target left of where i want it to land and set up square to that target (on protee i would just aim left with the key board and set up square to the sensor). Then i loosen my grip and rotate the face open slightly and regrip again. Swing away down the target line and pray! A draw is my natural shot so no setup changes needed. The meaning of life is best explained by the feeling of a perfectly struck 1 iron. I am only a single digit golfer because of my scrambling ability, i am not a great ball striker, but working in it

Thanks guys. My way is similar to bubba22's.

For the Draw, I stand slightly closed with a strong grip. Full release and finish. For the fade, slightly open stance with a weak grip. Ball is a little forward than normal. I try to do my normal swing with a hold finish. I don't think about swinging outside in.

I agree with Z on the swing. It is hard enough grooving one swing but 2 leads to inconsistency in distances and accuracy.

My theory:
    Get the grip right
    develop in to out swing where swing plane is simple, backswing is same plane as follow through, butt of club follows targetline
    groove that and watch what the ball does, should be a draw.

Then rotate grip to open clubface and change stance for the fade, same swing.

Pray....get a coach....give up day job.

Edit and if you want detail google "Mizuno Luke Donald masterclass"

Yep, many different ways to do it. No right or wrong. I like jh make up for lots with a decent short game. In the last 3 yrs though I was obsessed with hitting a draw with the driver. Found myself hooking like a streetwalker which has prompted me to hit it straight with either a little fade or draw! Much better results than the "snappies". Protee has really helped over the winter season here up north.

I do exactly what Justin does. I think he got all this from me!!!

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    played my first outside round tonight. My ball strike was better, my irons flew farther than I expected. Must have to be related to better ball strike. Wedge play around green was a lot better. Putting still needs help and the drive needs help. But I will get there, I hope.

Sounds very encouraging bubs!

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    I do exactly what Justin does. I think he got all this from me!!!
    Is that why he is not winning often bubba, better give him a refresher.

He better watch the videos again and break out some top tens. I have him as a pick in a golf pool.

Pitching Wedge thenootz is on a distinguished road
    Does not the new laws of ball flight mentioned the opposite? I mean, club face direction starts the ball, club path direction get it later in the flight... with a proportion of ~ 80 to 20 % ?
    I'm confused...

Better explanation here:
    http://jimmclean.com/GolfTipsBlog/Go...ight-Laws.aspx

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Ball starts where the club face is aimed at impact, mostly (85% for irons), and moves based on the relationship of the face to path difference.

So target will be 20 yards left of flag, club face aimed here, body aimed another 10 yard left, swing along body lines.

Ball starts where club face is aiming (20 yards left of flag), and moves based on difference between swing path and face (moves to right in this case).

This is how I play shots. It's not exact (it doesn't account any d-plane, ie...hitting down on the ball effectively shifts your swing path to the right), but it usually gets the ball moving how I want. Takes practice to see how much movement you will get based on your swing.

Quote Originally Posted by thenootz View Post
    Does not the new laws of ball flight mentioned the opposite? I mean, club face direction starts the ball, club path direction get it later in the flight... with a proportion of ~ 80 to 20 % ?
    I'm confused...

Better explanation here:
    http://jimmclean.com/GolfTipsBlog/Go...ight-Laws.aspx
    True but there's a difference between setup position and impact position.

Bogie pingB is on a distinguished road
    I read an article once that basically said generally the ball wants to go the direction of the club path, but it will curve based on the club face relative to that club path.

So if you are say 6 degrees in/out but only 2 degrees open the ball might only start 2 degrees to the right, but that's not all that important in the grand scheme of things. It's got to move left because the face is closed to the club path on an in/out swing.

Just watched some of the d-plane videos out there that u guys recommended. No wonder i cant hit a fade! But at least now i know what i need to work on to get closer, good stuff. The science behind all of it is very interesting, and although i have taken many lessons over the years no one has ever taught me that or explained it to me. I could have maybe put 2 and 2 together after Pelz's putting bible as he stresses face angle controls majority of the ball direction, but i never took that to the full swing!

76 yesterday and 72 today. Handicap down to 4. Loving the ProTee!

Awesome! Playing on the Protee over the Winter has increased my distances. I'm seeing distance increases throughout the bag but I'm really loving the ball flight of my irons.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Awesome! Playing on the Protee over the Winter has increased my distances. I'm seeing distance increases throughout the bag but I'm really loving the ball flight of my irons.
    Nice. I do miss playing with you guys. Gives me something to look forward to the winter!

Nice rounds bubba! I am scared to play with you again next winter!

Played with a +1handicap player yesterday. He shot a 70 from the blues at our course. I managed a 76 but could have been lower if I made some birdie putts. For me the the club data is the best. ProTee at home and the Atlas GST on the range. Love it!

Nice bubba22. Anything below 80 is a great score in my book.

I played 18 yesterday and only had one bad drive. Played a fade that became an unwanted "Power Fade".

I'm driving the ball much straighter and farther than I did last Summer. Getting consistent total distance of 260 to 285 during the last two rounds. My friends have noticed...

Thank you Protee online play.

That's awesome ZMax! Just awesome.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Finally got a chance to play nine holes today!! The course was in fairly rough shape, wet and the greens were EXTREMELY slow, it was still great to play outside for the first time in months. I managed to make 3 pars and play 2 below my normal handicap, so I definitely feel like the GC2 is improving my game. My iron distances, in particular seem to be spot on with the distances I get at home. Considering I haven't even played this course in 4 years and had trouble finding one of the tee boxes, it was a good day - lol

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I guess we can all state our opinion now on how the simulator affects our game. I played my first round yesterday and was totally unimpressed with my play. I shot 94 and usually shoot mid 70s on the ProTee. Today was a different story. I think it took a round to get used to playing on grass, etc and my hand injury did not help either. I worked this winter on shaping shots especially right to left draws. I shot 84 today (38-46) and had the draw working just like on the simulator. Also, just like on the simulator my short game was quite good. My chips/pitches were right at the flag every time and usually inside 10 feet. The course I play is very difficult (especially the back nine) with narrow fws, dense bush, dog legs and water everywhere.

I am looking forward to getting down into the 70s soon with a little more practice. Yes, thanks ProTee and thanks to the weather man for finally taking away the snow!

Thread Information