CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road

Using a simulator and/or launch monitor to help improve your game.

Feel free to post your experience on how you used your simulator and/or launch monitor to help improve your swing, scores, overall game, etc...

This thread should be a sticky so people can come back and post from time to time so we can perhaps learn from each others experiences.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I have the Protee which looks at club data.For me it has really helped my swing path and face angle. I play a draw and occasionally that will turn into hooks. The sim has greatly helped with the clubpath and face angle. This year I had a period of snap hooks. I used the sim to really look at why this was happening and sure enough my face was always closed and aggresively inside out path. Several changes with the grip etc and problem solved.

Sand Wedge jgalt is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    I have the Protee which looks at club data.For me it has really helped my swing path and face angle. I play a draw and occasionally that will turn into hooks. The sim has greatly helped with the clubpath and face angle. This year I had a period of snap hooks. I used the sim to really look at why this was happening and sure enough my face was always closed and aggresively inside out path. Several changes with the grip etc and problem solved.
    So what grip changes did you make? I too suffer from an aggressively in to out path. I have been working that as well as some overall swing changes for the last several monthes. I seem to be getting a lot better on the range, but really hasn't shown up at the course yet. Little frustrated with that actually.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Using the simulator last winter allowed me to use swing training aids (the swing extender specifically) to shorten my backswing as I tend to overswing, especially with the longer clubs.

I wouldn't dare wear the device while playing a round I've paid for (not to mention it'd be illegal for handicap purposes), but on the sim I can play courses, go to the range, all with out the embarrasment of wearing a swing aid while out in public and possibly ruining a round I've paid for.

So I've been able to use the device with much more purpose than I would've if I didn't have my sim. My backswing is noticeably shorter and I'm equally more consistent.

I was an interlocker but now changed to a overlap grip. Also weakened both hands, especially my right hand (right handed). Practice through the sim to reduce my path and not turn the club over as much has really helped with the aggressive draws and snap hooks. Seeing the visual of the path and ball has been a Godsend for me.

I was an interlocker but now changed to a overlap grip. Also weakened both hands, especially my right hand (right handed). Practice through the sim to reduce my path and not turn the club over as much has really helped with the aggressive draws and snap hooks. Seeing the visual of the path and ball has been a Godsend for me.
    I am with you on the weakened right hand, but cannot seem to get good results from weakening my left hand. I think my main problem with my left hand is actually being lazy and getting too much in the palm. I have started to work that into my preshot routine, and have seen a little improvement. I would love to be able to see my club path on a regular basis, which is why I changed my answer to club data for the time being in the ball vs club data thread. I actually use a baseball grip, due to a reconfigured right pinkie in a 150mph spill at Daytona on my racebike. I am the only person I know of that uses it, but it works for me.

I know several really good (scratch) golfers with the baseball grip. I think it is fine. Where you hold each hand and how they rotate (or not rotate) the forearm is the key. If strong and rotate the clubface closed combined with an inside out path then you see the hooks. If weak and no rotation with an outside in swing then we see the slices. Any combination can happen. Seeing the club data allows me to adjust right at home on a daily basis!!!!

2 Iron stevnkrn is on a distinguished road
    Of course I agree with the comments from Bubba22 and others, but I'd like to add that my sim has helped me on partial swing shots as much as it has grooving my full shot swing. On my sim I will hit, for example 50 half wedges and get a pretty good feel for how far those shots flew on average. I could do the same thing on a driving range but it is hard to get accurate distances at a driving range for a group of shots. On a typical range, unless you have it all to yourself, all you can tell is that your wedge went some distance past the 100 yard marker, but it is hard to tell if it went 110 yards or 120 yards when viewing the balls from the tee. By using my sim I now know (within a range of uncertainty I can accept) how far I hit 1/2 and 3/4 8 irons, as well as the same information for my other irons. I've learned things like this on my sim in days that would take me weeks or months to figure out on a range or a course. Plus I can practice those shots whenever I want. How cool is that! I use my sim more for practice than actual play. I like to pick a club and a hole and set up the sim to hit shots to a green so I can practice specific shots at a specific distance. It''s more fun than just using the sim driving ranges.

Awesome stev! What sim do you have?

GSA, although the club sensor is out for repair at the moment. Martin said he would look at it over the weekend, but so far I haven't heard anything. Some of the sensors right above the tee just stopped working so I lost all ability to add spin to anything. Even though my GSA PX5 system estimates spin based on club head information, I have found it to be accurate enough for me. Without spin the ball flight is all messed up. I hope he gets it fixed and returned to me soon.

That's right! You have the PX5 that is being repaired. Having the Protee, I have to agree with you about the spin estimation based on club data. Any idea when you will et it back?

My go to drive now is a fade. I aim for the left side of the fairway and work the ball back to the middle or right side of the fairway. I've scored good rounds when I use this shot for every drive. If my transition is a little too fast, I will slice.

When practicing on the simulator, I try to grove in a 1-3* inside-out path with a slightly open face. I don't ever want to see an outside-in swing greater than 2*. I try to build muscle memory or feelings of where my elbows and arms are during the back swing.

Then when I'm on the course, to relieve the pressure and build confidence, I take two practice swings where I try to get the feel of the positions of where my elbows and arms need to be during the back swing.

That's right! You have the PX5 that is being repaired. Having the Protee, I have to agree with you about the spin estimation based on club data. Any idea when you will et it back?
    All I know so far it that Martin received it and he said he would look at it over the weekend. It took three days to get from Wisconsin to Florida via UPS. I will be sending Martin an E-mail later today if I don't hear anything by then. I would sure think that validating my issue should only take about 5 minutes. All they need to do is plug it in, look at the sensor setup screen and pass a club over the mat to see the dead sensors. After that it is just determining the action plan to repair or replace. I just want it back and working ASAP. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I've not seen any forum posts of anyone needing a repair. Maybe I'm just the unlucky guinea pig for a sim hardware repair process.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    My go to drive now is a fade. I aim for the left side of the fairway and work the ball back to the middle or right side of the fairway. I've scored good rounds when I use this shot for every drive. If my transition is a little too fast, I will slice.

When practicing on the simulator, I try to grove in a 1-3* inside-out path with a slightly open face. I don't ever want to see an outside-in swing greater than 2*. I try to build muscle memory or feelings of where my elbows and arms are during the back swing.

Then when I'm on the course, to relieve the pressure and build confidence, I take two practice swings where I try to get the feel of the positions of where my elbows and arms need to be during the back swing.
    Funny you posted this today! Just got a Golf Digest with an article called "Law of the Draw". They suggest a 4 degree in to out path and 2 degree open clubface relative to target line to hit a draw. They say this info was learned from a Trackman! Hmmm

That's good info. If you can achieve those numbers consistently, you must have done something right with your swing.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jgalt View Post
    Funny you posted this today! Just got a Golf Digest with an article called "Law of the Draw". They suggest a 4 degree in to out path and 2 degree open clubface relative to target line to hit a draw. They say this info was learned from a Trackman! Hmmm

all those numbers are relative to target line, so clubface is closed to path-yes it is a draw and good numbers to have!

I aim for that but occasionally close the face too much or come too much inside resulting in a hook. I do like the cut shot so will work on that this winter!

Grooving a slight inside-out path on the Protee has done wonders for my driving. The last 5 rounds have been amazing. 80-90% of my drives were in the fairway or in play. I just concentrate on a take away that feels right for me to come down in a slight in-out path. I'll adjust my grip and release depending on which side of the hole I want to eliminate.

In play Zmax? Topped it 50 ft down the fairway????
    Last edited by CPA; 11-10-2012 at 06:00 AM.

LOL.. No, those don't count nor those hitting the wrong fairway count...hahah..

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Grooving a slight inside-out path on the Protee has done wonders for my driving. The last 5 rounds have been amazing. 80-90% of my drives were in the fairway or in play. I just concentrate on a take away that feels right for me to come down in a slight in-out path. I'll adjust my grip and release depending on which side of the hole I want to eliminate.
    Just a cautionary tale. I grooved an inside out years ago, but didn't have any drills to keep it slight. Quickly turned into too much and resulted in pushes and snap hooks. I now do a 10 swing over the top, ten way inside out, then ten right down the target line. Helps to give a good feel for the difference and usually keeps me from getting too out of shape. Not a bad thing to add to routine. I usually start with it as a warm up.

Thought I would revive this excellent thread by ZMax. Perfect for all sims for folks to reveal how much they have improved with their sims. I played yesterday after a 4-5 month snow layoff and 100% sim play. Shot a 82 from black tees at 6900 and change. My little guy made me play from there. Absolute worse part of my game was chipping with all the unpredictable lies. You just can't practice that on sim. Driver as usual fight the hooks but very happy. Rest ball striking was great. As the golf season starts it would be interesting to hear people's experiences with first few rounds. Also state which sim/launch monitor you are using. I play with the ProTee sim at a 6 handicap. I suspect that the higher handicappers would benefit more?

Lob Wedge gprince66 is on a distinguished road
    +1 for the excellent thread. I finally fixed my slice. I would rush my transition and come over the top. I used three tools to groove a smooth transition (with a nice little pre-stretch) and an inside out club path. I used the Vector Pro launch monitor, a Swingbyte and the Tiger Woods app to video my swing and compare to his. I also do a golf specific workout I put together from TPI designed to increase flexability and watched a ton of instructional videos on Revolution Golf by Jim Mclean. I went from 240 in the rough to 270 in the short stuff. It was a bit downhill and a strong breeze was at my back but I hit my first 300 yard drive, what a thrill!

For anyone who struggles with the slice, my number one go to drill... put a swim noodle on an alingnment rod and stick it in the ground on an angle. You want the end of the noodle to be about 1 to 2 inches from your hands at address. Now, when you swing, the noodle forces you to swing from the inside, if you come over the top your hands will hit the noodle.

All I can say is thank you technology!

And we want video of the noodle drill.....

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    It looks like it will be a few more weeks before I can actually play "outside golf", but I'm hopeful I'll show improvement starting off the season this year. I've been sidelined by a month of restrictions after surgery but will be able to start swinging again this weekend. If nothing else, at my age being in decent shape with no extra winter weight should get me off to a better start this year!

Lob Wedge gprince66 is on a distinguished road
    Here is the noodle drill video - http://youtu.be/wUlLEVoh8Qs

If you come over the top you will hit the noodle with your hands or the shaft.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for posting that, easier for me to "get it" now!

2nd round 82 at Ritz Carlton club 6700 tees. Can't say sim has made me a scratch player. I know the difference at my point is short game. Chipping on ANY sim is never the same as real rough and some crazy lies. Happy with driver an ball striking though.

3 Wood thelono is on a distinguished road
    I will be playing my first outdoor round in las Vegas in a couple of weeks. Last outdoor round was November. I'm super curious as to how things will go.

I go back to Orlando for boys trip in 2 weeks. Playing 5 days of 2 rounds per day. Will be a nice test as well.

Thread Information