100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Cool ClubLink Membership

Hey everyone!! Moved back to Ottawa after 7 years in Edmonton. I've been looking into memberships as of late for next season of course. ClubLink keeps popping up due to the fact that I will be living in Kanata South, and Eagle Creek was one of my favourite courses to play when I lived here(before it became ClubLink).

I suppose the only thing I'm contemplating is the following;

-Membership Initiation for Eagle Creek is 12k +$3350 dues + $410 bar minimum.

-There are two course that I would most likely play with this membership...Kanata Lakes and Eagle Creek.

Hautes Plaines perhaps but it is a bit of a drive from Kanata South...

I don't think I'd ever drive out to Grayhawk.

So I guess basically I'd have a 2 for 1 membership having access to both Kanata Lakes and Eagle Creek without reciprocal fees to play Kanata Lakes.

I also really enjoy playing The Marshes. They have no initiation but their annual dues are $4695 + HST.

For anyone with a ClubLink membership or a Marshes membership OR anyone who have played all three courses, what are your opinions on this?

I have never had the food at any of the above mentioned courses, but I do intend to have meals at whichever course I join. So this is important for me as well.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Hey Billy, welcome back! In your scenario I'd go ClubLink over Marshes for sure, I just prefer both EC and Kanata to the Marshes. Keep in mind you can spread that CL initiation over 10 years and quit there at any time without owing the rest of it. Another option you might want to consider is Loch March. Not sure if it will continue next year, but this year they sold a season's pass for $2,400 + HST, which also included unlimited use of the range. To me that was the best deal in the city this year.

Lots of deals at the private clubs as well for the under 40 set.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Hey Billy, welcome back! In your scenario I'd go ClubLink over Marshes for sure, I just prefer both EC and Kanata to the Marshes. Keep in mind you can spread that CL initiation over 10 years and quit there at any time without owing the rest of it. Another option you might want to consider is Loch March. Not sure if it will continue next year, but this year they sold a season's pass for $2,400 + HST, which also included unlimited use of the range. To me that was the best deal in the city this year.

Lots of deals at the private clubs as well for the under 40 set.

Thanks a lot for the input!

The one thing I am unclear of, and I've read the information on the ClubLink site and don't see any stipulations regarding playing up a section. For example....If I bought a membership with Haute Plaines lets say. The cost of that initiation is $6500, which is almost half the cost of EC and a little more than a third of Kanata Lakes. The annual dues are $1100 less than Kanata Lakes and approx $600 less than Eagle Creek.

I suppose what my question is...why would anyone pay 22k for initiation and $3800 for Kanata? Wouldn't you just buy a membership at a Gold level course and then play at the Platinum courses for free anyway?

What is the advantage of the Platinum membership?

Thanks again for any replies.
    Last edited by Txxxxxxx; 09-03-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: I am dumb and repeated myself

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    You can only play men's nIght and club championship at your home course
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    You can only play men's nIght and club championship at your home course
    That is the ONLY downfall of not buying a Platinum Membership????

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    You will also have a hard time getting a tee-time during prime weekend time which is the other downside. They block off weekend mornings for home course members, and on Thursday/Friday, they release any spots that weren't taken. If you want to play EC/KL on weekends, your options are playing in the afternoon, or finding a member there and asking to play with them.

Yes, those are the only downfalls of not buying a platinum membership.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    That is the ONLY downfall of not buying a Platinum Membership????

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Welcome back.

If you want some variety in the courses you play, Clublink is the way to go and EC is definitely the best of the bunch. I would not be surprised if you can get the membership for less than the posted rate.

If you are interested in going private, RideauView is having a fall membership special (sign up for 2013 and play the rest of 2012 for free, 25% off the initiation, payable over 10 years) and it's a golfer's course. Depending on where you are in Kanata it won't be too far away. As an intermediate it will probably be better cost wise than Clublink, but the downside is that you'll be limited to one course.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hmmm...Very interesting points. I had previously been looking into Royal because a friend of mine plays there and he has a few friends as well at the course. It would be nice to have people I know as members as well, but not necessarily the deciding factor.

I did see that Rideauview special. It is very enticing for sure.

My new work rotation allows me to pretty much be free during the week and weekends to golf for 33 days straight. I am working overseas so I'm away every second month.

I'm not very concerned about club championships since I am away a lot, and the odds of me being around during that time is 50/50.

It seems like a lot of money to pay for a KL membership to be able to play in Club Championship or Men's night..

I've never played Kanata Lakes? How is it?

How about food at both courses? Anyone ever eating at either course?

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I think EC may still be $8750 unless the "sale" stopped. F&B is actually $410 x 2 + HST + Service. EC has a lot more members over the last couple summers, so it is now much harder to get a premium weekend tee time if you are not a member, otherwise if you don't care about men's night, match play, and all the member events then HP is the better financial choice, that is where I joined originally. You can play most courses as an HP member, only the prestige ones in TO and Glen Abbey will cost you extra.

And Greyhawk is not really that far as you are travelling most of the time on a freeway, and it is pretty easy to get a good weekend tee-time. Plus there are a ton of really nice courses to play if you get down to Toronto, or the Muskokas, or Montreal/Tremblant.

Ask this guy your clublink questions:

Jonathan Bodden Eastern Region Sales Manager, Membership & Corporate Events, ClubLink
    ClubLink One Membership More Golf®
    350 Sparks Street, Suite 711, Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 7S8
    Tel: 1 800-787-0617 | Fax: 613-567-5755
    Email: jbodden@clublink.ca | Website: www.clublink.ca

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    I think EC may still be $8750 unless the "sale" stopped. F&B is actually $410 x 2 + HST + Service. EC has a lot more members over the last couple summers, so it is now much harder to get a premium weekend tee time if you are not a member, otherwise if you don't care about men's night, match play, and all the member events then HP is the better financial choice, that is where I joined originally. You can play most courses as an HP member, only the prestige ones in TO and Glen Abbey will cost you extra.

And Greyhawk is not really that far as you are travelling most of the time on a freeway, and it is pretty easy to get a good weekend tee-time. Plus there are a ton of really nice courses to play if you get down to Toronto, or the Muskokas, or Montreal/Tremblant.

Ask this guy your clublink questions:

Jonathan Bodden Eastern Region Sales Manager, Membership & Corporate Events, ClubLink
    ClubLink One Membership More Golf®
    350 Sparks Street, Suite 711, Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 7S8
    Tel: 1 800-787-0617 | Fax: 613-567-5755
    Email: jbodden@clublink.ca | Website: www.clublink.ca

Awesome info! Thanks for the contact. I will write him an email tonight and see what the exact fees are for EC.

I am building in Kanata South and currently watching the Rideauview episode of ScoreGolf. It's probably ten minutes from my place I think. It would be the only club though that I'd be able to play if I joined there. With the exception of paying for play.

Keep the suggestions and opinions coming please.

Thanks!

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    If you arent concerned about mens nights and league play etc, it may be worthwhile checking out one of the Lincoln Clublink gold memberships that are up for sale in the classifieds section.

Almost ready to pull the trigger on this membership. Any other opinions or things to worry or know about in general? Speak now or forever hold your peace!!

Seriously though...Any other input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Gap Wedge hummer1829 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Almost ready to pull the trigger on this membership. Any other opinions or things to worry or know about in general? Speak now or forever hold your peace!!

Seriously though...Any other input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
    I have been a member for 3 years now and here are some of my observations

- The food is okay to good. There is probably 75% of the menu that is common to all the clublink courses across the board. There is small sections that are unique to the individual club.
    - The food and beverage (f & b) minimum applies to only the base price of the food or beverage. The f & b is split into 2 halves, start of season to Jul 31 and Aug 1 to end of season. If you have reached the mimimum in the 1st half, anything spent after but before Aug 1 does NOT count towards the 2nd half minimum
    - Some of the courses have tournaments during the week quite frequently (Greyhawk especially). May or may not affect you depending on your playing habits
    - In Ottawa, men's nights are Thursday's at all the courses. Ladies night is Wednesday's.
    - Take advantage of playing the courses in Muskoka, Toronto, and Montreal/Mont-Tremblant area. You really get the bang for buck when you do that. The only cost is the gas to get there and back
    - Kanata does not have a full sized driving range (technically its supposed to be irons only). Hautes Plaines does not have a driving range
    - The "clublink season" in the Ottawa area is approximately April 15th to about October 31st. Even with the early spring it does not open in March. I also do not recall playing a clublink course in November around here. Season is longer in the Toronto area.
    - As far as the golf courses go. You have already played Eagle Creek so no explaination needed. Kanata is a tough Par 70 with only 2 Par 5's, its a sneaky difficult course. Hautes Plaines is another Par 70 (only about 6000 yards from back tees) that can be tight in some spots, need to play it a few times to learn the course. Both courses at Greyhawk are fairly wide open that can be difficult on certain holes from the blue and gold tees and when the wind is up.

If you haven't do so, indicate that you were referred to from an existing member

That's some more good info.

Thanks for the reply!

7 Iron Bryger is on a distinguished road
    I'm looking at joining HP and would like to know a bit more about the ranges and practice facilities. From what I gather, HP has no range, KL has irons only and EC and GH have full ranges. Is this the case? Also, who would have the best short game practice area (big putting green, chipping area, bunker, etc...)?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryger View Post
    Is this the case?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Bryger View Post
    Also, who would have the best short game practice area (big putting green, chipping area, bunker, etc...)?
    EC and GH are both pretty good. HP had a good short game area but had to convert it into a par 3 after hooligans trashed one of their greens.

Anyone know when hole #3 will re-open?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    #3 has been open since opening of last year (ok except for a couple weeks when they were repairing the damage from the massive floods of 2011)

Eagle Creek will have a brand new range and practice area this Spring. You're bang on for the other courses as far as facilities. I joined Eagle Creek but I'll split time playing at KL and EC this season.

7 Iron Bryger is on a distinguished road
    Thanks guys. Looks like I'm joining HP this year as that's by far the closest to my home downtown. For practicing, the distance for me to go to KL is 23km and 25km for GH. With traffic, I'd say GH would be quicker and from what I gather from your comments, there is not much of a difference in short game practice area quality between the two. Looks like HP will be my home for full rounds and GH will be my home for sharpening the saw. Thanks guys!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    With Clublink you can also go to Fontaine Bleu in Montreal (Blainville), Mont Tremblant and some great courses in the Muskoka....
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Thread Information