CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skycaddie

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Skycaddie

Need some opinions here. I have been thinking of purchasing a skycaddie I know it will not shave 10 strokes off my game but maybe 1 or 2--maybe

I have noticed a huge number of them for sale in various forums---what is the deal? I'm pretty good a figuring distances using yardage markers---it's the execution of the club that is the problem

Are these things any good or is it something you find that you really don't use after 10 games or so ?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I'm baaaaaaaaack!!! HAHA! Anyway...I've used one for the last two rounds I played at The Marshes. It would have been a totally different round without them. The new SGX is awesome in my opinion. You can literally move the target anywhere on the hole view to let you know how far things are from you. I will be purchasing one in the very near future.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I loved mine when i had it...less time trying to figure out yardages and knowing the front and back of the green yardage was really helpful to me. I'm not golfing much this summer so i didn't renew my subscription but when i do get out...i miss my skycaddie.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I got mine two years ago. My sons call it 'old school' when I have to play a course without it. I live by mine on the course and it assisted me in going from a 17 to an 11 index within 18 mos......without doubt!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Definitely worth the money in my opinion. Knowing how big the greens are (f,c,b yardages) can sometime provide you info and be a club difference as to where the pin is. You also know the shape of the green, as well as slopes/undulations on some courses now.

I hate playing a round without mine.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I agree with the comments about the benefits of the SGX. I was torn between getting a GPS or a laser until my brother-in-law got a laser and doesn't have a steady hand. The gps changes yardage as you walk and gives you a reading instantly where as a laser you have to stop and pick a target and hope you haven't sighted a tree behind your target. The movable cursor is a nice touch.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    I thought it would be a waste of money getting a SkyCaddie being a high handicap, but it has helped alot. On some holes on the course i kept coming up short all the time then i got the sky caddie and looked at the distances and man was i off on what i thought the yardage was. I am glad i bought it and it makes a huge differences going to other courses you have not played before. My wife thought i just wanted a new toy, so i let her take it out and she was shocked at how much it helped her. She was the same as me could not believe on some holes how much off she was on the yardage. Now whenever she goes out she wants to borrow it.
    Last edited by foxman; 09-02-2012 at 06:52 PM.

1 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    I will highly recommend the sky caddie, I have the SGX and just love it. I will say it did improve my game.
    The real benefit it will display distance to the hazards and to carry the hazards, also you can move the display right where the flag is on the green so you have the exact distance. Great investment.
    scrollerpete

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Thanks for all the comments guys----at first I thought it may be "a toy" but reading your comments it makes sense. Now the decision is SGX or SGXw-- being 67 years old maybe the cheaper model might be easier to use---not as many options.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    The key difference between the two is that the w has WiFi capability. I have to download courses from my computer prior to taking the unit for use to the course. The w unit, which my friend has, allows him to simply show up at the course and download it there prior to playing via the WiFi function.

d
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I've got the non wi-fi SGX and wish I had wi-fi connectivity. I golf in the US and need a laptop, which I don't have, to download courses. I purchased a double-eagle membership to use it in the US and I'm struggling to find a way to download courses while travelling. My options are: 1-get a wi-fi SGX, 2-get a laptop, 3-download 50 courses in advance, 4-ask the club pro to use the courses' computer.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    SkyCaddie...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yup.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I've had a lowly sg 2.5 for 3 years now, and echo all the comments made above. I also love the score-keeping and course stats functionality, saves lots of time. Its also extra-beneficial for a hack like me who is often in the wrong fairway. And the clubsg will keep your handicap for you. It can even tell you what holes you get a stroke on. I synch it up with a usb cable, it is pretty easy to do with a pc or a laptop.
    Andrew

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I have the Garmin S1 watch. It gives me the distance to all of the greens, front, middle, back which is all I need. It comes with all of the courses and there are no fees associated with it. I've used it a couple of rounds but still rely on my Leupold rangefinder to get some pins when they are in an odd location. I think over time I will use the watch more and more.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information