100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

Local Instructor for chipping

I'm looking for a recommendation on the best local instructor for chipping and pitching. The name Gregg Foley seems to be mentioned often when it comes to putting, but I'm specifically looking for chipping help.

Let me explain. Without question I'm the Charles Barkley of chipping. I've been playing golf for 12 years and most beginners can chip better than I can. I know what I'm supposed to do. I've read Pelz. Over the past 6 years I have gone to 3 different local instructors for chipping lessons, and they have all giving me lots of good advice on how to chip. So I have the knowledge - but I just don't seem to be able to do the execution - and I have no idea why. Perhaps someone who uses video would be useful, so I can see exactly what I'm doing wrong before I try to learn what to do that is right.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    From your description it doesn't sound like a physical problem, but a mental problem.

For 99% of the chips you are likely to have to make around a green, it's really as simple as:

1. Pick the club that will carry the ball the required distance.
    2. Make a smooth, putter like swing through the ball.

This approach will almost certainly guarantee you get the ball on the green and have a putt for par. It won't always be a short putt depending on the difficulty of the green/chip but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I also like what JV has said about pitching. I'm just gonna add that a few years ago my wife,bless her heart, got me to change to a 9 iron around the greens all the time,no switching to sand,pw or lob wedge. This has made a big differenece and I have been chipping closer to the pin and a lot more chip ins. I feel more confident and this a big part of it. Good luck and give it a try.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I'm looking for a recommendation on the best local instructor for chipping and pitching. The name Gregg Foley seems to be mentioned often when it comes to putting, but I'm specifically looking for chipping help.

Let me explain. Without question I'm the Charles Barkley of chipping. I've been playing golf for 12 years and most beginners can chip better than I can. I know what I'm supposed to do. I've read Pelz. Over the past 6 years I have gone to 3 different local instructors for chipping lessons, and they have all giving me lots of good advice on how to chip. So I have the knowledge - but I just don't seem to be able to do the execution - and I have no idea why. Perhaps someone who uses video would be useful, so I can see exactly what I'm doing wrong before I try to learn what to do that is right.

Sorry, that label as already been claimed by yours truly and I have had a stranglehold on it for years !!!

Did the lesson thing and re confirmed, ( $60 later ) that my problem was the 5.5" between my ears.

Last year, I purshased 2 Hireco XK chipper heads with a ton of offsett.. One 8i loft and one pw loft. After tons of experimenting with both, the pw one is more versitile.

This thing has putter head weight with a real deep sole. Built it to 35" and finally figuring out how to play it, as in where in my stance for different shots, what situaations to use it, what kind of stroke to use and because of the loft, I can open or shut the face to accomodate the required shot.

I am at the point where I am quite confident with this thing because it gives me a higher % of decent shots as opposed to hoping and praying with other clubs.

I know it sounds stange, but I was at the point where I would pull out the putter and take my chances.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

I know a good shrink ;-)
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Pitching Wedge kemcheca is on a distinguished road
    I would like to recommend:

The Art of the Short Game: Tour-Tested Secrets for Getting Up and Down by Stan Utley and Matthew Rudy (Jun 14, 2007)

Excellent Book.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    From your description it doesn't sound like a physical problem, but a mental problem.
    Its both for sure. The only shots around the green that I have any confidence in at all are flop shots and bunker shots. Simple chips seem to elude me entirely.

For 99% of the chips you are likely to have to make around a green, it's really as simple as:

1. Pick the club that will carry the ball the required distance.
    2. Make a smooth, putter like swing through the ball.

This approach will almost certainly guarantee you get the ball on the green and have a putt for par. It won't always be a short putt depending on the difficulty of the green/chip but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.
    I've tried the "putting stroke" method and found it easier than any other method - but I tend to catch the ball thin most of the time when I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Sorry, that label as already been claimed by yours truly and I have had a stranglehold on it for years !!!

Did the lesson thing and re confirmed, ( $60 later ) that my problem was the 5.5" between my ears.

Last year, I purshased 2 Hireco XK chipper heads with a ton of offsett.. One 8i loft and one pw loft. After tons of experimenting with both, the pw one is more versitile.
    I tried a chipper from GolfWorks a few years ago, but never really figured it out. Once again when I tried using a putting stroke with it I would hit the ball thin. I may try it again though, because I've been putting from just about anywhere for a while now.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've tried the "putting stroke" method and found it easier than any other method - but I tend to catch the ball thin most of the time when I use it.
    There's no silver bullet when it comes to any given technique. Once you find one that you are comfortable with it's just a question of practice.

If you are hitting it thin then you are probably looking up too early to watch where the ball goes and/or getting stabby with your swing. Speaking from experience here.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    continue with the putting stroke method and to avoid catching them thin give your body a little forward lean (onto your left side for a right handed golfer) choke up a little on your club and get your hands a little in front of the ball. as for the mental portion i like to try to avoid the whole thinking part and just walk up and hit it. the longer your over any golf shot the harder it is.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

There's no silver bullet when it comes to any given technique. Once you find one that you are comfortable with it's just a question of practice.

If you are hitting it thin then you are probably looking up too early to watch where the ball goes and/or getting stabby with your swing. Speaking from experience here.
    Yes, it feels stabby even when I make good contact. My putter is 32" and I grip down on it to get right on top of the ball, so a putting stroke with an 8-iron feels very strange to me. Maybe if I might try a chipper again but get it cut down...

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    There is a gadget out there that will help you cure your problem. It helps you keep the left wrist flat throughout the stroke. If you practice long enough with it you will never need another instructor again.

http://www.tourstriker.com/shop/prod...ils.aspx?p=170
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    I tried a chipper from GolfWorks a few years ago, but never really figured it out. Once again when I tried using a putting stroke with it I would hit the ball thin. I may try it again though, because I've been putting from just about anywhere for a while now.
    The XK is no ordinairy chipper. In fact, the 46* is actually called a "Flipper "CHP1026H_1-copy.jpg

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    To answer your original question, Dave Kalil out of the Hunt is very good (non members have access, i think this is still the case). Graham Gunn has a very simple approach to short game - he's out White Sands. Colin Orr from OAC is another guy who springs to mind. I also recently saw this video. lI was getting too active with the hands and stumbled across it and had great results. takes all the yip-type muscles out of the equation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E58-BLLEpUY

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Keep your head down the entire time, long after the ball has gone.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    To answer your original question, Dave Kalil out of the Hunt is very good (non members have access, i think this is still the case). Graham Gunn has a very simple approach to short game - he's out White Sands. Colin Orr from OAC is another guy who springs to mind. I also recently saw this video. lI was getting too active with the hands and stumbled across it and had great results. takes all the yip-type muscles out of the equation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E58-BLLEpUY
    Well, after two rounds of committing to the "putting stroke" method and trying to utilize some of the fine suggestions in this thread, it is still a "work-in-progress". I still feel that my wrists and hands are too involved in the stroke...

... so I tried the method in the video link above, and the results were encouraging. The "dead forearms" feeling seems to address a lot of the issues I'm having. I will have to work on it some more.

Colin was one of the three instructors who I've already tried, but I might give Graham Gunn a try. Simple is what I need - I'm quite happy to just get it on the green for a two-putt bogey.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. The search continues...

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Keep your head down the entire time, long after the ball has gone.
    Agreed, just like a putting stroke. Rotate as from a pendulum 6" above your shoulder/back. Ball close to back foot, most weight on front foot, don't look up, hands VERY quiet. I grip the club very hard with my front hand and just use my back hand as a... nothing.

This, and putting, are the only part of my game that any good. Jason at Haimes was a good teacher of this.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity...do you practice much after your lessons? If you are not, perhaps that is where the problem lies. It's difficult to change things on the course as you will resort back to your old tendencies as soon as it doesn't work or you get under pressure.

3 Iron Simonlap is on a distinguished road Simonlap's Avatar
    I can recommend Jason Winters at Kevin Haimes. He is the only instructor I have seen for short game but he was very good.

Thread Information