100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar

where do some people come from

Ok,here is my rant.Played Bearbrook today,got there 20 minutes before tee off.Group ahead is late,3 guys.My girlfriend who is a very good player is looked up and down by these guys as to say 'We better get ahead of this couple,don't want to play behind a woman'!! So they yap a lot instead of setting up and teeing off,ok they spray thier shots all over the place,we wait and wait and wait to tee off...Finally we both hit good drives,we get up to our hits only to see 1 guy in his cart all over the place looking for his ball.So it sinks in they should let us pass,which we do and thank them in turn.Next hole we both get on the green in 2.We are putting when a ball comes flying on to the green missing my girlfriend,our cart was at the front of the green so they must have known we were on the green...I was irate but my gf told me to keep a lid on it which I did,we were able to get way ahead of these guys later thank God....makes me wonder about some idiots that are out there...

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar
    Played Greensmere Legacy last week with a friend. We're both single digit handicap golfers and we play from the black at 6410 yds cause it's 8 o'clock and still a bit wet from humidity so no roll.

Bad news......we're behind a 3 some and they play from the whites and all over the place.............the wood i should have said.

Each and every hole we're waiting and they've noticed.

Believe or not i had to ask to let us play throught

We never saw their shadows after that.

That would be a good thing if the starter would inform players of the etiquette about slow play before let them go.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Makes you want to tee up their ball and drive it back at them.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I too was at Bearbrook yesterday and we were a twosome, 4some ahead DID NOT want to let us through even though next group was a fll hole clear of them. WTF? Some people have no clue and no etiquette!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    These know-nothing oafs come from the darkest reaches of hell. They have no sense of etiquette or civility. This explains their behavior, which would also include not replacing their divots, not fixing ball marks on the greens, and not raking the traps. At best, they have an ability to pop open countless beers, but not without risk of cutting themselves on the tabs. All in all, they should confine their golf to the nearest pasture, where the local Simmental bull could have his way with them.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Ok,here is my rant.Played Bearbrook today,got there 20 minutes before tee off.Group ahead is late,3 guys.My girlfriend who is a very good player is looked up and down by these guys as to say 'We better get ahead of this couple,don't want to play behind a woman'!! So they yap a lot instead of setting up and teeing off,ok they spray thier shots all over the place,we wait and wait and wait to tee off...Finally we both hit good drives,we get up to our hits only to see 1 guy in his cart all over the place looking for his ball.So it sinks in they should let us pass,which we do and thank them in turn.Next hole we both get on the green in 2.We are putting when a ball comes flying on to the green missing my girlfriend,our cart was at the front of the green so they must have known we were on the green...I was irate but my gf told me to keep a lid on it which I did,we were able to get way ahead of these guys later thank God....makes me wonder about some idiots that are out there...
    That second hole is dangerous. First time we played it my partner who shoots in the 90's drove the green from the tee while the group ahead was just walking off. It plays more like a long par 3 if you hit over the trees.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Ok we always complain about ettiquetes or lack of from the "weekend hackers", beginner etc..What about those "PGA wannabe" players ?. Some of them really taken putting to an extreme yesterday.

Yesterday, played a course at 7:30am and got stuck behind a 3-some who appear to be good players .
    At the new number 10 , par 3...all of them hit the green with iron..no small feat for 180-yard par 3 if you
    ask a weekend hacker like me.

Our 3-some has been chasing their tail all day long, waiting at every hole and finally caught up to them yet they refused to let us tee off. They proceeded to take another 10 minutes on the green, pacing off the distance and checking out the breaks, I mean they really did the Camillo Villegas....I called them out and they looked back and give us the finger salute.

This happened when two of the bozos was using a cart and one walked. We all walked in our group with and one of our older partner is a 100s golfer. He hit 150-170 drive max and took more than a few mulligans, and many lost balls..yet we still have to wait for these donkeys at every holes. When we teed off at 1, they were not even in sight.

The other frustrating part is another 2-some behind us was constantly waiting at our tee.. They should have backed off after we told them and they saw that we were holding up by the group in front.

Painfully, the round was over after 5 hrs which is bad for 7:30am tee time. I can expect this for an afternoon round but I have never ran into this for early morning round.

No marshall in sight the entire morning...
    Last edited by Gobble_It; 08-27-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: removing course name

Five hours to play a round beginning at 0730! I'd never go back to that course.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Best part in our case was when we asked to play though and guy in the group ahead said no. He says " you can hit up with us if you like but you can't play though"??? "There's no where to go he says" Ther was an entire free hole ahead of them. ARGH!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

One might have been tempted to respond with Forest Gump's line: "Stupid is as stupid does."

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Best part in our case was when we asked to play though and guy in the group ahead said no. He says " you can hit up with us if you like but you can't play though"??? "There's no where to go he says" Ther was an entire free hole ahead of them. ARGH!

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    It sounds like you had a poor skilled group in front of you. In one breath you say they spray it everywhere and then complain that they nearly hit you on the green. I would bet they had no intention of hitting into you but rather hit a shot they could not repeat with 20 chances.

I took my neighbor to my club a few weeks back. Through 13 holes he didn't hit a ball over 200 yards. On 14 he had 260 left to the green - we were standing on top of the 262 sprinkler. I told him go ahead hit up, play it like a par 5. He does and stripes the ball not only to the green but over it. The group on the green in front was irate, until we got to the green to apologize. We screamed four all 4 of us and they didn't hear it. Windy day can do that.

Sometimes it helps to try and understand the actions leading up the event that angers you. Most people are not willing to hit a golf intentionally at someone but mistakes do happen. When I get hit into I wait for the group to catch up allowing them the opportunity to explain themselves. I have yet to be let down and am always apologized to and it is a one off.

Most people are decent people. Give them a chance post a mistake.

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    I agree that it is a blind shot on #2 and if you are a long hitter you can reach the green with a drive,its the reason we had left our cart in full view,so they should have know we were still on the green....cheers guys

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    wish more people would play 'ready golf' , the worst is a 4-some ahead and both carts drive to a ball, player hits and then both carts scoot across the fairway to another ball.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Folks... it's Bearbrook. That's the way it is all the time and that's the way it will always be at that course.
    When you play there, you should just be happy if there is actually grass on the greens. Members and management not having a clue is a given.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    ...The other frustrating part is another 2-some behind us was constantly waiting at our tee.. They should have backed off after we told them and they saw that we were holding up by the group in front.

It doesn't sound like you were overly polite either. I wouldn't appreciate being told to back off (even if you suggested it nicely). What are they supposed to do? Wait on the previous green until you tee off? Then the group behind cannot hit their approach shots - and so on, and so on. The only reasonable place to wait is at the tee, even if you were still there.

Gap Wedge rando7777 is on a distinguished road
    People pay their green fees and feel they can do what they want which includes leaving ball marks an divots the size of head covers everywhere total lack of respect

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    that happened to me a couple of weeks ago at equinelle. We were 2, came up behind a foursome and they told us it was backed up ahead. By the time they got to the 4th tee, they were a hole behind.

To further screw up our day, after teeing off on 1, and then rounding the pond, the marshall told us we should have started on 10. Great time to tell us. He then wanted us to finish 1, go to 10, play through to 18, then walk back to 2 and play 2-8. I called the pro shop and said forget it and they came back and told us to carry on playing the front. Of course we get to 10 and its members night and there are 2 groups on the tee and the pro shop had told us to tell them that they said for us to play through. So we approach the tee and say, hey guys, the pro shop asked us to play through you guys - again they were 4, we were 2 and there was a 3some in front of them. The guy's response? You'd better go back and talk to the pro shop again. Just then the marshall showed up and set these guys straight but whan an @ss.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Bearbrook

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Folks... it's Bearbrook. That's the way it is all the time and that's the way it will always be at that course.
    When you play there, you should just be happy if there is actually grass on the greens. Members and management not having a clue is a given.
    Have you been there this year ? This is my first year and have been about 1o times. I find the greens excellent and the staff excellent. Could they use some more greenkeepers, yes, but times are tough and the price is right. I will keep going back!

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar
    The problem is that a lot of courses don't do anything about it. I played a course this year in Ottawa which I won't name and in the group ahead of us 2 guys were wearing jeans with their hats backwards. You can tell a lot of beer was being consumed and it was a contest to see who could hit the longest drive (most of the time ending out of bounds and them looking for their balls). Starters should set expectations and then the marshalls enforcing the rules.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2 View Post
    Have you been there this year ? This is my first year and have been about 1o times. I find the greens excellent and the staff excellent. Could they use some more greenkeepers, yes, but times are tough and the price is right. I will keep going back!
    Good luck with that....
    Over the past decade, I personally have been to Bearbrook enough to last me a lifetime. I also have had many dealings with the owner.... and anyone who has knows the score on that place.
    Honestly I laughed my butt off at the Bearbrook thread earlier this year, knowing full well it would not last long before the old owner stepped back in. I fell for that too the first few times. This must now be the 3rd or 4th time he's sold the place, held the mortgage and then taken it back over right at the time people started to think there might actually be some hope. That's why there is another overgrown 9 holes sitting off to the side that were never completed.
    Fool me once....
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    It doesn't sound like you were overly polite either. I wouldn't appreciate being told to back off (even if you suggested it nicely). What are they supposed to do? Wait on the previous green until you tee off? Then the group behind cannot hit their approach shots - and so on, and so on. The only reasonable place to wait is at the tee, even if you were still there.
    When anyone approaches you in the middle of the tee off with the cart... How would you feel ?.
    It was not the only time that they did that during the round and to boot, they were chatting away like they are in a flee market.

I don't mind if they wait at the tee if we haven't teed..but have the courtesy to stay back knowing full well that we were not causing the delay. If there is no one ahead of us, you can bet that they don't even need to ask and we would have let them go through.

The original 3-some behind us did let these two dudes went ahead, and guess what , we were sitting at the patio close to an hour, before they limped into the 18 green...That's almost 6-hour round at 7:45am start...ridiculous !.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I find it interesting that people often expect the world to stop breathing when they are ready to hit. Granted there are some inconsiderate peple around, but I think most of these 'disturbances' could be easily ignored if people were not so overly sensative while on a golf course. Why let small things (like the group behind you approaching the tee and waiting there during a slow round) get under your skin so? That's what ruins your day.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I was golfing with the wife years ago at Casselview and i'm on the tee on number 6 or 7 when a golf cart with two ripped douchebags comes bursting out of the trees right onto the tee block, so of course i drop stink eye and give them a wtf? They drive off, we hit our tee shots and get up to the green where i'm sitting in a bunker, get up to adress my ball, look behind me and there's now four guys in the cart flying in my direction, they drive into the bunker and essentially threaten to kick the hell out of me just because. I'll never forget the look on my wifes face.

Thread Information