100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home simulator

Lob Wedge Dansc is on a distinguished road

Home simulator

Hello everyone,
    I have been looking at the forum for some time as a guest and now I want to buy a golf simulator. But with so many choices I have no idea what to buy.

I have enough space and I am willing to spend up to $30k.
    I want to have the simulator for improving my play and to have some fun to play with friends.

I was thinking about:

http://www.proteegolfsimulator.com/s...category_id=13

or

http://www.golfzon.eu/pages/167/The-Simulator.html

or

http://bravogolfsimulator.com/

or

http://www.foresightsports.com/produ...nce-simulation

Maybe bogolf or hd golf simulator etc. would be also a good choice.

maybe buying a used system would be also an option or build a system from the best parts.

I have also looked at GSA system. Which looks pretty interesting.

I have a computer that should work and can get a projector cheaper than normally because I own a business.

Please help me to find the best solution!

Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by Dansc; 08-26-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Welcome Dan. You have a very broad inquiry. There are multiple threads dealing with sim purchase at that price range http://forum.OttawaGolf.com/showthre...igh-end-budget , http://forum.OttawaGolf.com/showthre...etup-under-20k . At that budget you have many options. You can save some money with some sims by getting the components and diy as apposed to buying the entire setup including the enclosure, computers, mars etc. Give us more info with what you exactly need, ie screen, mat, computer, enclosure etc. As well do you want club and ball data? Are there lefties and righties playing? Do you want swing video analysis as well?

For used systems, I would check eBay.

I would need everything except the computer but could buy a projector through my company (but still need recommendations).
    - I would want club and ball data
    - only righties
    - swing video analysis would be also great.

Lots of options.

Protee, GSA, Trugolf are all great options. Foresight with the HMT is good but there is some question about the accuracy of the HMT. About golf ad well is a good option. As well Sportscoach.

@bubba22: thanks.
    But is trugolf and about golf not much more expensive than Protee and GSA? What about Golfzon and Bravo? I did not get a quote from them but are they also more than 40k?

Anyone tried Bogolf's newest 3000V?

Thanks,
    Dan

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Dansc
    The number of threads looking for and debating the perfect sim is large.

How big is your sim space?
    What are the walls made of?
    What is the floor made of?
    What is your handicap or golfing ability?

These answers and a number of decisions point you in the right direction.

For instance the hitting surface is a big debate. Many like myself want to simulate turf as close as possible and start with a mat like truestrike gel or realfeel. That pushes us away from sensor systems to camera or radar launch monitors.

Then the ball , clubhead and video capture is the big limit. Basically there is no indoor sim that has satisfied everyone that it is the best at all 3.
    You will have to give priority.

For mine accuracy of ball data without any tweaking, the turf like mat and portability and ease of setup pushed me to GC2. Your decision may be different depending on your requirements.

I have been getting frustrated lately with no club data as my driving has gone to . At this stage I have figured out it may be how ridiculously long drivers are these days, even the pros use shorter than standard shafts. Time to follow Bubba's advice and get the hacksaw out.

Hope we can help but with your budget you will be well placed.

I agree CPA. There is no perfect sim. The GC2 is a good choice and once the HMT is improved then it will have club data. There is still suspect club data for the HMT? I love the club data from ProTee! As an example, my game has been great except last week I had 1 round where I was hooking the ball too much even on the range. Decided to practice on the sim and for sure was really closing the face at impact and coming too much from the inside. A little grip and alignment adjustment and "Viola", both on the sim and on the course!! I love it! Shot a 74 this weekend from the tips.

The other sim to consider is the HD golf sim with video capture or the About golf sim. They are more expensive. Bravo golf is not well reviewed here. Bogolf is suspect. Cory from Par2pro was unable to get it up and running so that is a bad sign. Trugolf has different cheaper options that compare with the Protee and GSA but probably no more accurate. I personally love the Protee sim and would recommend it to anyone.

CPA, yes I would recommend most amateurs get fitted for their clubs, especially the driver. cutting the driver down to your height, mine is at 44 inches, will allow for more control. I hit it just as long and way straighter, which means more fairways. On a side note, I would highly recommend the Axe Xcalibur shaft http://arthursports.com/. Unbelievable for the price.
    Last edited by bubba22; 08-26-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks for the replies.
    So if I understand correctly if I want to have mat options I need to go with GC2 with HMT (but have to wait because it is not good yet).
    If the mat is not important to me than Protee is probably the way to go.
    Is that correct?

I have a possibilty to buy a complete used Protee system including enclosure etc. The mat is new and 2.0. I am trying to find out how old the computer is and the projector. He wants approx.$13k It includes 70 courses etc. I think the price is too high but I am not sure what would be a good price to offer (I think new this costs close to $30k correct?). Also I have seen on ebay that they sell Protee includ. Projector, Computer more courses for $6999 which seems to be a very good price.
    Is video analyzing possible with Protee?

What do you guys think about ebay or the used option?

Thanks,
    Dan

How big is your sim space? It can be as big as it need to be
    What are the walls made of? Concrete
    What is the floor made of? Tiles today but can be changed
    What is your handicap or golfing ability? I hit a 96 last time I played but I just started (was maybe my 8th time to play on a course but I used to play a lot of tennis). I can hit irons very well but I cannot play with woods at all so far. Also my swing is probably not very good.

There are mat options for the Protee. It comes with the Fiberbuilt mat which is very nice. Tou can also get a Fiberbuilt top http://www.thegolfsale.com/the_affor...us_golfers.htm which I have and is very nice feeling. If you have some components such ad the computer etc then buy just the mat, sensor, cameras and screen and build an enclosure. It will save money. You need high speed video cams to get video analysis.

Dansc- at th moment Cory at par2pro is throwing out free screen with protee at $5K

net at http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-x-12-Golf...item3376789c79 is $144 or 30c sq ft velcro to ceiling and screen to make cage.

Computer lenovo ideapad with GTX 660M 2gb video card for $869! http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...001C9:00003938:

Optoma gt750 projector is popular here- $678 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT750E-...s=optoma+gt750

it is only 720p so if you want 1080 look at the projector threads- throw distance is the main issue.

Synthetic grass to cover the tiles about $300

under $7K for all brand new with warranty...........and you want to pay $13K? For the saving you could buy 2 USB3 high speed cameras (the y580 has 2 usb3 ports)

Can I suggest you do at least 2 things

-search for sim centres with different systems and go and try them out.
    -go and try out hitting surfaces. Compare the Fibrebuilt with truestrike gel , real feel and divot action.

For me the mat was the start of the rot. I wanted the closest thing to turf (including turf when the gc2 is outside!) and the option to change the mat when they invent better mat systems.

you will see I have invested the tidy sum of $150 in a swingbyte in the hope it can do club and 3d swing data. Whilst it is promising the jury is still out until they can calibrate the targetline. Given your info good club data would be helpful to you.

Good luck

Oh and yes cut your woods down- get fitted. At the time of Bubbas post I was in the store buying a new shaft for the RBZ. Wanted the Matrix HD6 shaft- the std in the RBZ Tour and it was only $40 more to buy the complete club- Taylormade would have taken my driver to their workshop, replaced and cut down the shaft and kept the old shaft.........walked away with it cut on the spot and now hit the fairway again. ( and have a RBZ Tour head to play around with) Cant hit the 330 yards anymore though Bubba! Think a lot is in the brain as I see the club is shorter and dont try to hit as long as I can and so accuracy also follows. Thanks Bubba. Have the same setup as Luke Donald only Taylormade have heat treated his to get the swingweight up to D2 and I must use lead tape if it is an issue!

Good advice CPA!!! Thats awesome with the driver. It really should help.

I think I will go with protee and talk to Cory.
    I will probably buy the One with the putting Sensor and I want to have a High Speed Camera for video analysis.
    Or do you think the putting Sensor is not needed?
    Thanks,
    Dan

Go to a sim centre and try to putt. For mine it is a waste of $ and may actually ruin any ability to putt. I use autoputt. If you have $40K and space build an artificial green and bunker like thegolfer.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Great advice guys - sorry I wan't able to jump in... I just got back from the PGA Expo and am playing catch up

Sounds like you are the right track Dansc, but I totally agree with CPA in that it would be best for you to go to a couple of indoor golf centers and try out a few different sims. That way you can contact me and we can discuss what you like and don't like about each and then I can help you pick the system that will be right for you based on your personal experience.

Happy Golfing All,
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Go to a sim centre and try to putt. For mine it is a waste of $ and may actually ruin any ability to putt. I use autoputt. If you have $40K and space build an artificial green and bunker like thegolfer.

The Protee putting sensor is the best. I love putting. My advice, get the putting sensor.

My gripe Bubba is not with the gc2. It does putts well but with a screen 4.5 metres away you cannot see the hole if it is shorter. Just not the same experience in my view. How does the protee software differ?

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    If you got $30,000 to spend you really want to go with a quality full HD projector. Look at bright Home Theater projectors as they have better pictures than the gaming and business presentations projectors Also go for a high end graphics card on a desktop computer.
    Get a good screen and protective netting if you want to use real golf balls.

GSA simulators you can buy out of Germany. Martin the owner is German but also lives in Florida.

Pretee is 'next door' in Holland

I got a Protee, do not have the putting sensor.
    First I hated putting on the Protee but now I enjoy it.
    Short puts less than 5 feet are harder on the simulator as you lack the feel and visual, in general I use Gimme on those puts.
    If it was easy to change my setup I would be getting the putting sensor.

I would not be paying much for a second hand projector unless it's a real high end unit and even less for a used computer!

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    The only problem is that I have not found any places where I can test the protee system and not a GC2 one...Maybe I have to see if can test them in the Detroit area or Charleston, SC..I am quite often there. Or does someone know of places in Germany that have these simulators to test. Also if someone knows anything around Detroit or Charleston, SC please let me know.

Thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    If you got $30,000 to spend you really want to go with a quality full HD projector. Look at bright Home Theater projectors as they have better pictures than the gaming and business presentations projectors Also go for a high end graphics card on a desktop computer.
    Get a good screen and protective netting if you want to use real golf balls.

GSA simulators you can buy out of Germany. Martin the owner is German but also lives in Florida.

Pretee is 'next door' in Holland

I got a Protee, do not have the putting sensor.
    First I hated putting on the Protee but now I enjoy it.
    Short puts less than 5 feet are harder on the simulator as you lack the feel and visual, in general I use Gimme on those puts.
    If it was easy to change my setup I would be getting the putting sensor.

I would not be paying much for a second hand projector unless it's a real high end unit and even less for a used computer!
    Okay thanks. Nobody suggested the GSA over Protee and GC2 so far. Could anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of the GGC/GSA system because Frankfurt where GSA has an office is only 3 hrs from me.

Is the optoma HD33 a good choice for the projector? and also any advise on the graphic card?

Thanks,
    Dan

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Think the Optima might not be bright enough for a large screen and some light in the room. The larger the screen the more lumen you need.
    Look at projectors with 2000 lumen or more. Make sure you look up reviews because some (all) of the manufacturers can be a little creative with the brightness figures.

With regards to graphics cards I am not sure what is best but I got this.
    http://www.amazon.com/ENGTX560-DCII-...=graphics+card

Paid a lot more one year ago!
    I do not know if it will handle the next generation of Simulator software? Guess not on full.

Could not do better than that card if you have a good tower system you can sacrifice. I recommended the lenovo y580 as not many do and the card in it is better than the gtx560, and you get portable and screen and no clogging it up with other stuff.

Re the projector get on projector central calculator. The advantage of the gt750e is brightness and short throw. Screen 12 ft wide is no problem. As I keep saying when they release the gt1080e I will be first in line.

How are the decisions going? I changed over the strike surface of my truestrike the other day and I am in heaven again. The dealer had a 3ft by 2 ft offcut of realfeel mat I snapped for $55. It certainly is a different feel but I would say tighter lies as club is grabbed at times. Good to have though. I have been looking at the commercial version of the divot system (forget the name for the moment) sold on amazon, but cannot see it is released yet.

FairwayPro is the mat I was thinking of.....

Thread Information