100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road

Starters putting players together

What rights do "green-feers" have when a starter forces players to play together? I show-up with my partner and we are then obligated to have another person join us. It changes the complete focus of the round. Any suggestions on how to approach the pro/starter before teeing-off?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    If you're a twosome the course has all the rights to put players with you unless you're willing to pay for the extra spots. It's a business and my feeling is that if people book as a foursome and show up with only two people they should have to pay for the extra spots. This happens regularly by people and it's stealing. I'd be in favor of a course taking a credit card to book then this wouldn't happen.

Booked as a twosome and showed up as a twosome. The club had 48 hours notice of our intentions. I understand that golf is a business and as such should be able to accommodate what the customer wants.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Each tee time has 4 spots so if you wish to play as a 2some only then inform the course of this at the outset and I am sure most will try to accommodate you but certainly they are not obligated by any means.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Courses will do everything they can to fill every tee time with 4 players. The more foursomes they get out each day, the more money they make. And it is a business so it is their right. Some courses take credit card information at the time of booking for the very reason that some people don't show up with as many players as they said they were going to. Some other courses still refrain from doing this, but if you want to make sure you don't get paired up with another group have at least a threesome on the day of your tee-time (even at times you could get a single paired up with you) if not a foursome, obviously. Weekends when courses are busier, also increase your chances of being paired up if you don't have your own foursome.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    When you book as a twosome you are reserving 2 of the 4 slots available at that time. The course has every right to place you with another group. It happens all the time. It is not like a restaurant, where you are reserving a private table.

If you go to the amusement park, they don't send the roller coaster off with empty seats just because there's an odd number of people in your group, and an empty seat results. They fill up the spot with the next person in line.

If I went to a restaurant I wouldn't expect to be seated at a table of strangers. It was an honest question and not one presented for insults and personal attacks, just a simply inquiry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    When you book as a twosome you are reserving 2 of the 4 slots available at that time. The course has every right to place you with another group. It happens all the time. It is not like a restaurant, where you are reserving a private table.

If you go to the amusement park, they don't send the roller coaster off with empty seats just because there's an odd number of people in your group, and an empty seat results. They fill up the spot with the next person in line.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll View Post
    If I went to a restaurant I wouldn't expect to be seated at a table of strangers. It was an honest question and not one presented for insults and personal attacks, just a simply inquiry.
    My response was not meant as an insult. I was just trying to provide two different examples. One - a restaurant - where one would expect not to be seated with strangers, and the other - an amusement park - where one would reasonably expect to be seated next to strangers. A golf course is much more like the latter example.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    I would suggest you stay away from Shwartz in Montreal. As for the original topic, pay for the other spots or fully expect to be paired up. If it doesn't happen then its a bonus for you I guess. I love meeting new people and look forward to rounds with new folks. I guess at the end of the day to each their own.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    I find the more consistant a golf course is at booking the same number of players per time slot, the more consistent a round's time will feel. When a golf course sends a 4some off in front of a 2some, then another 2some in carts, then a 4some the course tends to get jammed up even though the first 4some may be right on time.

I don't typically get upset when I'm asked to play with another golfer. In fact, I find more times than not that when a single golfer joins our tee time that they are typically a better golfer (more confidence to play alone maybe?) and I enjoy the challenge and watching them play.

That said, it does drive me bonkers when a single is placed with my 3some, then I find out there is a 2some behind us.

6 Iron triplets is on a distinguished road
    i sure hope i am not paired with you. want the course all to yourself. oh well guess there are all kinds in this small world.
    if it is my course i want as many players on the course as possible, thus more money so i can keep the course up to par and thus have more players wanting to play MY course.

It was an honest question and not one presented for insults and personal attacks, just a simply inquiry.QUOTE=triplets;455099]i sure hope i am not paired with you. want the course all to yourself. oh well guess there are all kinds in this small world.
    if it is my course i want as many players on the course as possible, thus more money so i can keep the course up to par and thus have more players wanting to play MY course.[/QUOTE]

6 Iron triplets is on a distinguished road
    if you think the answer was an insult so be it. most golfers I know relish the pleasure of playing with all types of golfers, good and bad. Usually end up making new friends and learning how the other half play their game.

i am sure if you ask the proshop to go out alone they would in most cases accomodate unless the course is extremely busy. you will be missing out on possibly having a better game and maybe learn how to play with others that you do not know.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    A lot of the time the merging of groups is for pace of play. When 3 or less are out there behind 4somes it seems slow and many feel like they should be allowed to play through the "slower" groups but they really have no right to do so. The problem is it isn't really slow because courses are paced for foursomes. IMO.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    What rights do "green-feers" have when a starter forces players to play together?
    As others have already stated, you have no rights at all. It is part of the culture of golf that you will often play with complete strangers that you will probably never see again. You just have to go with it - and if you do you will usually be enriched by the experience.

I show-up with my partner and we are then obligated to have another person join us. It changes the complete focus of the round. Any suggestions on how to approach the pro/starter before teeing-off?
    Unless the people you are hooked up with are total *&%holes, it should not change the focus of your round. If it does, then the problem is with you and not the people you are obligated to play with.

If you really prefer to play as a twosome, get an early tee time on a less-popular course.

Pitching Wedge kemcheca is on a distinguished road
    Instead of twosome show up as a threesome. If everyone wants to play in twosome expect a very slow round of golf. Do not expect to play twosome from 8:30-2:00 and the first hour of twilight time.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    All slander and insults aside, you have no rights as a green fee player to play as a twosome. If you went skiing and wanted to ride the quad chair as a twosome, there would be a lot of unhappy people behind you.

The course will try to accomodate golfers wanting to play. If you insist on being a two-some, then you are denying two other people the chance of playing golf. How would you feel if you called up the course and were told that there were no tee times today because it was all booked with twosomes?

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    I was once in the camp of don't pair me up with anyone. It was my first year of golf and the added set of eyes made me feel all the more nervous.

Now as a clublink member I ask around if there is a single to fill our 3 some all the time. Even pushing our tee time a spot or 2 if it helps. Golf is meant to be played as a foursome. It adds to the enjoyment of the game for the most part.

Now I also get the odd "basement dweller" as my group calls them. You know the guy that is always solo because he has no friends or golfers that will play with him. Usually a fella that likes to give advice on the 2nd tee after he doubles 1. Even better the guy that fidgets with his clubs as you stand over the ball. Lets not forget the guy that just keeps talking while you try and putt.

Joking aside, I understand the desire to play with just your buddy/buddies but the reality is that you would be 1 - too fast for pace typically and causing a nuisance to the group in front of you. 2 - limit other golfers from enjoying the event you want to. If 2 other guys want the same tee time they should have access to it. Screw the courses, they screw me for my beer anyway!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    WOW------------even the PGA plays as foursomes for the first two days. Do you think everyone is buddy buddy with everyone? Golf is a business first and a recreation second. As a "semi-experienced' golfer, it is always better to play as a foursome because it keeps a very even tempo of play and you get into a rythm . I actually hate playing as a twosome because I don't have the patience to stand around wondering what is taking "Arnold and Jack" so long to hit a shot up ahead.

The course could actuly privide a service by asking patrons what their handicap was and pairing like handicaps together.

All other things aside--except for ONE occasion in 10 years I have never met anyone on a golf course that I would not play with again-----hell there are more pressing things in life to get upset about---never mind who you are "playing" in the sandbox with !
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    the one thing I have noticed the past couple of years is courses putting out twosomes when a series of foursomes have already tee'd off within the hour. I'd much rather pair up than wait for a foursome, in fact I have on several occasions joined up with other twosomes mid-round to establish a preferred pace.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Embrace the wonderfully social aspect of this great game and try to enjoy meeting new people out there,tee times are for 4 so suck it up and get used to it!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Embrace the wonderfully social aspect of this great game and try to enjoy meeting new people out there,tee times are for 4 so suck it up and get used to it!
    this. I have met a lot of great people playing as a single. If you don't want this, try late in the afternoon on a weekend.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Expect to be joined, it's the way the game works. There are four spots on the tee, pairing up improves the pace of play for everyone on the course, you have zero right to request to play alone. Personally were it my course, if you didn't want to join up I'd make it clear you weren't welcome back.

There are exceptions to every rule blah blah...but 99% of the time...

An honest question, I can appreciate that.

Thread Information