100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge runner is on a distinguished road

Where all all the golfers?

Just looked at tee times for the weekend on Ottawa Golf. You can play anywhere at almost any time. Some courses have virtually no bookings. This year will be an economic disaster for many.
    Watch for most courses to close at the end of September, they will be broke by then.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I've been wondering the same thing lately, golf courses have been very quiet in August, maybe most people take vacations in August?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    It's the point in the season when we all have a string of bad rounds and put our clubs in the garage swearing we are done with this game. We will be back in September

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Seeing the same thing at Equinelle.... lots of time between groups going by. Much busier on the weekends but even then no where near as busy as July when it was a steady stream. Like nokids said maybe it is just prime vacation season. The roads are pretty clear as well when I come in from Kemptville....

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    My wife and I have played courses throughout the Ottawa Valley this year and are constantly commenting on the fact that we appear to be the only ones on the course? I know that we've had a ton of heat and that this drives a lot of people indoors. But, I agree that the economic situation for courses in the Ottawa Valley cannot be that healthy based on the course traffic we've seen to-date.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    seeing allot of really great deals that typically don't come out until later in the season, which is a sign courses are hurting for cash. Several courses are offering green fee + cart at very affordable prices. The regular golf fanatics are still getting out, i think it's the occasional golfer that is staying away this summer.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    You may also be seeing the effects of uncertainty in the local economy. Lots of people losing their jobs, or preparing for the possibility of losing their jobs.

Pitching Wedge kemcheca is on a distinguished road
    If two couples play prime time a golf course and green fees are $50 and cart around $36, Total $272 plus say drinks so make it $300. For $300 people are finding better value for their money then playing golf. If you add kids forget it! Unfortunately things are going to a lot worst in the next couple of years. Sometimes we forget how elite and expensive golf is!

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road
    I fully agree with your comment. Until the local courses start to understand that we have many choices for our entertainment dollar they will be half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by kemcheca View Post
    If two couples play prime time a golf course and green fees are $50 and cart around $36, Total $272 plus say drinks so make it $300. For $300 people are finding better value for their money then playing golf. If you add kids forget it! Unfortunately things are going to a lot worst in the next couple of years. Sometimes we forget how elite and expensive golf is!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I haven't played in almost 2 weeks, I dunno, must be something in the air.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Hmmmm...???? Don't need to play prime time....Many, many courses in the Ottawa Region have less than $50 green fees - even at prime - which often include a cart...and, come to think of it, why do you need a cart....let alone drinks?????

Now, if we were in Toronto (where I was a member of a course for years), I would agree with you that golf - because of the supply and demand with respect to courses per capita resulting in substantively higher prices than Ottawa - could be considered an elite sport from a cost aspect.

But in Ottawa.....I don't think so....IMHO
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Just got back from the Pocanos/ Syracuse. Pocano Manor East course, great track in great shape, $50 for 2 with a cart, teed off at 10:30 a.m. Two days later, Foxfire in Syracuse, $50 for 2 with a cart, tee time, 10:43.

Played Loch March yesterday, teed off at 11:18 a.m, got off easy because my son got the jr. rate, $116.00 !!!!

Spoke with a couple of guys who work at Golf Galaxy in Syracuse. They like Sugler's Glen alot, but refuse to pay the fees.

The golf season is Syracuse might be a little longer than ours, but not to the point where our local courses can justify such a difference in green fees.

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar
    You're right downhillslider .

Prices are way too high in the Outaouais area.

I played Le Portage ( comparable to Emerald links) near Montreal in my vacations for 27 tx included after 2 pm .

On top of that we had a spaghetti souper at the clubhouse for 5.99$ .

Many courses around here charge more than 30$ to play after 4pm.

No wonder why it's not busy.

Best value money in Ottawa for me is Greensmere.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Just got back from the Pocanos/ Syracuse. Pocano Manor East course, great track in great shape, $50 for 2 with a cart, teed off at 10:30 a.m. Two days later, Foxfire in Syracuse, $50 for 2 with a cart, tee time, 10:43.

Played Loch March yesterday, teed off at 11:18 a.m, got off easy because my son got the jr. rate, $116.00 !!!!

Spoke with a couple of guys who work at Golf Galaxy in Syracuse. They like Sugler's Glen alot, but refuse to pay the fees.

The golf season is Syracuse might be a little longer than ours, but not to the point where our local courses can justify such a difference in green fees.

Absolutely right on the money. I used to go to the Laurentians in the fall, but with the attitude and price gouging we are heading back to Syracuse. There are golf deals here for the avid golfer that knows where to look. I am amazed though at the number of people that don't even know about this forum. This is one great source of information. Sure some courses are hurting------it's going to be an interesting year next year. I have even heard quite a few comments comparing discount golf clubs vs "special price" at the courses.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    the tee sheets seem pretty full for the weekend, at least as full as earlier in the season. I actually think we are pretty lucky in terms of selection and price here in Ottawa. Try golfing in the GTA.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    for sure pricing has an effect, I find harder and harder to justify the $30 in the afternoon, when most of the time you may finish in the dark, some courses are not even in their best condition (bunkers that are never maintain, etc.) I hope some golf operators see this in this forum and be more aggressive with pricing, I do not have many people to play with and I do not like to ride, so most of the offers (2 for one) do not apply to me.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Absolutely right on the money. I used to go to the Laurentians in the fall, but with the attitude and price gouging we are heading back to Syracuse. There are golf deals here for the avid golfer that knows where to look. I am amazed though at the number of people that don't even know about this forum. This is one great source of information. Sure some courses are hurting------it's going to be an interesting year next year. I have even heard quite a few comments comparing discount golf clubs vs "special price" at the courses.

I live 20 minutes from the border and have to say I play upper new york as much as I play around here - great courses, great customer service, and really inexpensive. Not to mention that both food and beer if you decide to stick around for a pint and bite are generally really good. St-Laurence University has a great course, Massena has a nice course, great courses in Syracuse a little farther away... We do have it great around here. We've got the one thing that nobody can gripe about and that's choice.

Played in Boca Raton last winter at a municipal course, green fees including cart were $32 per person. At the parking lots they had people taking our golf clubs, put them in a cart and nice bottle of cold water. Came back after our round they even cleaned the clubs for us. You cannot get that service like that at even a private club. In Canada we have a long way to go in terms of prices and service.

I never understood why a lot of courses do not have twilight and super twilight times.

Played in Boca Raton last winter at a municipal course, green fees including cart were $32 per person. At the parking lots they had people taking our golf clubs, put them in a cart and nice bottle of cold water. Came back after our round they even cleaned the clubs for us. You cannot get that service like that at even a private club. In Canada we have a long way to go in terms of prices and service.

I never understood why a lot of courses do not have twilight and super twilight times.
    This type of service costs more $. They don't pay them much and you feel compelled to tip them. No thanks.

And Florida courses are open all year, we get 6-7 months of golf here and thus the corses have to make their revenue in a smaller timeframe, thus higher prices

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road

You can for sure get that level of service at private clubs here. Clubs and shoes cleaned, personnel to take your clubs from the drop-off area to put into carts, guest lockers if needed, etc.

Even with all the service fees it way cheaper then playing non prime at Equinelle. Plus I do not tipping them for a great service, they deserve it!

Do you think people working at Ottawa courses are well paid. 80% are minimum wage and another 10% $2-3 over min wage.

Min wage in Ontario is much higher than in Florida

I don't need anyone to clean my clubs - which are already clean or take my clubs out of my car. It just going to drive up the cost of green fees.

For what price! Not $32 per round or even $70 a round.

Cost of living in Florida is cheaper then Ottawa!

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    What surprises me is that there is no clearing service to fill all the t-times in Ottawa. I've spent the last two winters in the Tampa area and there are all kinds of services that will fix u up for a last minute game of golf and find u a partner at no booking charge. Haven't found anything like that in Ottawa.

Thread Information