100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Par Anth13 is on a distinguished road Anth13's Avatar

How do you know when the shaft in your irons are too stiff?

Just posting to get other opinions.

I currently play the project x 5.5's in my Callaways and I just purchased a set of the nike pro combos in a DGS300. About 3-4 years ago I tried the CCi's with the S300 shaft and they felt clunky even when I pured them. I also believe I lost distance. My swing speed now with my driver is about 104-110mph. Could it have been the CCi heads that I didnt like and not the shaft. I find now though with the PX 5.5s I am leaking left (being left handed). I also find when i try to shape the ball I lose control on the draw or cut. Would a stiffer shaft control that? Are the DGS300's that much stiffer than the 5.5's?
    Ive heard nothing but good things about the new pro combos so I am anxious to try them out. It also doesnt make it easy because it is either get the DGR300 or S300 and I am obviously leaning towards stiff, just afraid of feeling that clunkiness and lost yardage...

Thanks

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar
    95% of all amateur golfers are playing shafts that are too stiff for their swing speed according to an article in Golf Digest.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    You just have to try them, and pick the ones that perform and "feel" the best. The same shafts will feel and perform differently in one set of heads vs another, so you can't go by one experience either.

Personally I think that for steel shafts the flex designation is almost irrelevant. I've played regular, stiff and uniflex with equal success - about all I can say is that extra stiff always feels like crap to me. A stiffer, heavier shaft should lower your trajectory a little but in my experience the difference is minimal. I alternate between two sets now - one with DGS300's and the other with Apollo Gunsmokes in regular flex - and I like them both.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    My driver swing speed is about the same, if not a little slower (usually max out at 105) and I play S300s in my irons after trying a few different shaft options.
    Definitely try a few out and see what feels and performs the best, but my guess is you will end up with a stiff shaft of some sort.
    Even I've never heard of me

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strong49 View Post
    95% of all amateur golfers are playing shafts that are too stiff for their swing speed according to an article in Golf Digest.
    Just to comment on this note , which i wouldn't have believed , had it not been proven to me.
    I went for a fitting this evening Mizuno , at GolfTown .
    I currently am using MX-25 with Dynalite s300 , which i'm getting pretty good results with .
    I'm browsing the market for something new , and tried out the Mizuno JPX 825 pro , great clubs BTW

As the man says , 90 % of golfers are using the wrong flex in a club , i was fitted for KBS tour REG FLEX

My man pride kicked in and i wanted to try the Stiff flex shafts that i've always played with , and the results were apparent , Reg flex , pure contact , right down the middle and consistant ,
    Stiff flex , good contact (not great) and a slight draw , no advantage in distance or carry , in fact a little less .
    Am i a believer , well maybe a bit more so than before
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Just to comment on this note , which i wouldn't have believed , had it not been proven to me.
    I went for a fitting this evening Mizuno , at GolfTown .
    I currently am using MX-25 with Dynalite s300 , which i'm getting pretty good results with .
    I'm browsing the market for something new , and tried out the Mizuno JPX 825 pro , great clubs BTW

As the man says , 90 % of golfers are using the wrong flex in a club , i was fitted for KBS tour REG FLEX

My man pride kicked in and i wanted to try the Stiff flex shafts that i've always played with , and the results were apparent , Reg flex , pure contact , right down the middle and consistant ,
    Stiff flex , good contact (not great) and a slight draw , no advantage in distance or carry , in fact a little less .
    Am i a believer , well maybe a bit more so than before
    Not that I disagree with the fitting, but USUALLY when you have a shaft that is too stiff for you, the miss is a push/fade and low ball flight. Not a draw.

Just throwing something out there for more confusion.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    It's a feel thing in my opinion. A good player can get the ball in the hole with any club pretty much so go with what gives you confidence.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Not that I disagree with the fitting, but USUALLY when you have a shaft that is too stiff for you, the miss is a push/fade and low ball flight. Not a draw.

Just throwing something out there for more confusion.
    I think there is alot more confusion than that , my misses are left (draw/hook), but is that my swing plane , speed / tempo , hand position , feet position etc , etc , or my equipment ?
    As Bneill said , i think some of it is to do with feel , but now that i was fitted to a particular shaft , i'm curious as to see if my results will become more consistant and improve my game .

I think there is alot more confusion than that , my misses are left (draw/hook), but is that my swing plane , speed / tempo , hand position , feet position etc , etc , or my equipment ?
    As Bneill said , i think some of it is to do with feel , but now that i was fitted to a particular shaft , i'm curious as to see if my results will become more consistant and improve my game .
    Can't hurt if that's the way you were fitted!

I guess you will see if those are the ones you're going with?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Can't hurt if that's the way you were fitted!

I guess you will see if those are the ones you're going with?
    Maybe i've put a bid on a set on Ebay ....

Maybe i've put a bid on a set on Ebay ....

HAHAH!! Nice one!

Driver Brent4Hire is on a distinguished road
    I agree with Edmonton on the miss - a push would be the normal miss. Apart from the shot shape, I find the trajectory gets lower, and carries much shorter with shafts that are too stiff. I like the feel, weight and flow of the S300. I've tried PX, but even when using the proper stiffness, my swing doesn't load the shaft the same way, and the flights would be a mess. I love hitting Reg shafts, and wish I could set up my same irons with R300s to start every season, but before long, they become hook machines.
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, ya might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent4Hire View Post
    I love hitting Reg shafts, and wish I could set up my same irons with R300s to start every season, but before long, they become hook machines.
    Sounds like a good excuse to have an extra set in the garage! Remember, you can never have too many golf clubs...

Par Anth13 is on a distinguished road Anth13's Avatar
    I went with the Nike VR II Pro Combos with DGS300's and they are sweet. Nicest irons I have ever played, by far. They don't feel clunky at all, just a nice solid feel with a side of butter.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anth13 View Post
    I went with the Nike VR II Pro Combos with DGS300's and they are sweet. Nicest irons I have ever played, by far. They don't feel clunky at all, just a nice solid feel with a side of butter.
    Great choice. I got these recently as well. They are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Sounds like a good excuse to have an extra set in the garage! Remember, you can never have too many golf clubs...
    My wife refers to this as "man" common sense...right before she starts yelling

HAHA!! I laughed out loud..Good one!

Replace "golf clubs" with "shoes" and you get "woman" common sense...

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Replace "golf clubs" with "shoes" and you get "woman" common sense...
    Sad but true...then she says "replace shoes with golf shoes..."

It's a vicious cycle.;-)

Thread Information