100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf Injuries

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road

Question Golf Injuries

Entering into my 4th season of playing golf, I can't help but notice the fact that I've suffered more and more muscle injuries over the past few years than I have my entire life.

I've also noticed that problems involving the back, hip, neck, shoulders, etc. are quite common among golfers.

I'm only 21 years old, but I have 4 years left of eligibility on my university team. Over the past year, I have become diligent in my stretching routines. I find that stretching only minimizes the soreness, but doesn't prevent it.

My question to everyone on the board is this: What kind of injuries have you experienced throughout the years, that you feel were caused by playing? Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the strains that any sport puts on our bodies, or do we have to accept the fact that as humans, we naturally deteriorate with age?

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Seeing that you're at university level, use all the ressources you have access to. Aside from stretching, you have to reinforce your core muscles. As weird as this will sound, golf is a violent sport on your muscles. Your back, abs, trapezes, forearms, hips all take a pretty good beating. Furthermore, your lower body is extremely important: it stabilizes your swing. You're also carrying your bag, therefore your knees and back are under constant load.

So stretching, conditionning and strengthening (without too much bulking-> high reps, low weight) will go a long way in helping you playing longer. As humans, our bodies get more prone to injury but we can all reduce the number of injuries we get or at least the severity of them. If you get injured or feel soreness beyond what you're used to, take a walk to physio and have them have a look at you (should be free as a member of varsity).

There are many ways to help you achieve your goals but this is my $0.02 worth.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    What timing! Adska, if it's alright, I'd like to include my injury posted just right after yours... I'll check with the Moderator to close mine...

[I saw a thread on tennis elbow, so for lack of better term, the stings I've been feeling is at the back of my left knee from doing dry-training on my swing this winter (I'm a righty).
    I believe repetitive hard swing with out contacting the ball had put some strain on my left side.

Before I visit my physio-therapy, just like to know general comments of anyone doing your winter training and and any resulting nagging pains from it...]

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Adska
    Entering into my 4th season of playing golf, I can't help but notice the fact that I've suffered more and more muscle injuries over the past few years than I have my entire life.

My question to everyone on the board is this: What kind of injuries have you experienced throughout the years, that you feel were caused by playing? Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the strains that any sport puts on our bodies, or do we have to accept the fact that as humans, we naturally deteriorate with age?
    I suffered a tendonitis, related to golf...easily solved through rest. I've actually found golf overall good for my back, but I do make sure I stretch a lot. At your age, I'd maybe see a rheumatologist before it gets worse...you never know.

Thread Information