CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar

Need advice on new clubs

Hey guys,

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new set of irons. I'm currently playing 09 burners and I hit them well but i am beginning to dislike the clunky look to them, as well as the offset. I'm looking at a combo set of PW-5i 712MB and 4i to 5i 712CB. Problem is I'm a 12 hdp and I don't know if I will regret it. I practice with very old blades from time to time and have no issues hitting them but there's still doubt in the back of my mind. Any other 12+ caps out there with these clubs? Any issues?

Also I'm wondering for you club hoes if you think its easier to soft step or hard step a shaft. I'm leaning towards the s300's but if for some reason I find them too whippy I may want to hard step them and I don't know if that's difficult/pricy to do. If so I may get SS x100's. (I'm buying the clubs online so I can't try them out)

Thanks!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Only problem with hard-stepping is that you'll have to add butt-end extensions...so in that regard, hard-stepping is more difficult from a build standpoint. As for shaft flex, choose either PX 6.0s or S400s. Both stouter than S300s, but not as stout as X100s.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I'm about a 12 and I play Mizuno MP52's. I don't find those overly difficult to hit and they have a smaller head, and thinner top line than game improvement irons. They fall in between a blade/MB and a game improvement iron.

Can't say how these will work for you but as long as you think you can hit them or be willing to sell them if you can't, go for it. You can also swap out the shafts at a later date. Can you just buy a single iron on line somewhere and try it first?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I'm about a 12 and I play Mizuno MP52's. I don't find those overly difficult to hit and they have a smaller head, and thinner top line than game improvement irons. They fall in between a blade/MB and a game improvement iron.

Can't say how these will work for you but as long as you think you can hit them or be willing to sell them if you can't, go for it. You can also swap out the shafts at a later date. Can you just buy a single iron on line somewhere and try it first?
    I could goto golftown I guess and try and hit them but that takes all the impulse and fun out of it I think I will be able to hit them, especially since the 3-4 i will be CBs.

Bouche
    I will also be changing ALL clubs in my bag after this season. Currently hitting TA3 Gunmetals but I am looking for a good steel of Irons from the 2011-2012 products. Anybody have an idea of what I should look for? My game has definately gone downhill with the lack of playing time in the last 2 years. I am probably a 10 handicap now.

I love the Titleist AP2's but could I get a good price for them at the end of the season?

Any help would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Only problem with hard-stepping is that you'll have to add butt-end extensions...so in that regard, hard-stepping is more difficult from a build standpoint. As for shaft flex, choose either PX 6.0s or S400s. Both stouter than S300s, but not as stout as X100s.
    I looked at the S400 and the best I could tell they were the exact same as the S300s, but heavier. I'm guessing they play stiffer? Anyone have an experience with these shafts?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I've played S400s, and based on their designation they are supposed to be heavier than S300s, but I found them to play stiffer also..
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I've been eyeballing the MP69s just now, any thoughts on those vs the 712mb?

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I've played S400s, and based on their designation they are supposed to be heavier than S300s, but I found them to play stiffer also..
    They are supposed to !!!

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Do yourself a favour and book a time at a local club fitter and go in and test all the clubs & shafts and get a professional opinion. Clubs are an investment, and without expert knowledge or even being able to see your swing and how you hit a ball I think you are more likely to be throwing money away.

Stiff... how stiff is stiff? Heavy? how does heavy feel in a certain club head. Stiff + heavy, how does your ball flight on a certain club head? Go in, run through a series of clubs, shafts for ones that feel good to you, and help get the ball moving where its suppose to.

Best $100 you'll spend on golf. Just my opinion.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    these are on sale today. Look pretty sweet.

http://www.golftown.com/Titleist-CB-...ons-P5828.aspx
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Bouche
    sexy....only 4 left

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Im a 10-12hcp and play with Nike VR blades... it takes some practice, but the feel is far superior to cavity backed irons. It makes it easy to know what you're doing wrong, and in turn forces you to get better.

My advice is do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Husband View Post
    Im a 10-12hcp and play with Nike VR blades... it takes some practice, but the feel is far superior to cavity backed irons. It makes it easy to know what you're doing wrong, and in turn forces you to get better.

My advice is do it!
    Funny you should say that, the VR PRO blades were 50% off at golftown today and I had to pull the trigger. I went in to try the 712 MB and instead I fell in love with the 712CBs. After a chicken lunch at Scores I managed to talk myself down from spending 1200$ and decided on a new lob wedge instead. I went back in and there I saw them, the VR Pros at half price right next to the wedges. When I came back in the car with a full set of clubs my wife laughed...

Thread Information