+ Reply to Thread
    Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Counter Weights in Putter Grip

Anyone ever tried Counter Weights in a Putter Grip?
    I am thinking of putting a 100 gram weight into my putter.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Why?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Because Tom Wishon says so:
    http://wishongolf.com/improve-your-p...ter-weighting/
    Kidding, I am just curious if people have tried it.
    And becasue I am willing to try anything at this point, my putting is horrendous.
    My friends now call me 3-Putt-Jonny.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    What do they charge for those weights? I've always wanted to try a counterweighted putter.

http://www.golfworks.ca/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TL0001

Depends on the weight you want.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Cheap alternative. Remove the grip insert a carriage bolt. Put as many nuts as you want or as little as you want.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

And how does one get the nuts on the carriage bolt?
    The nuts go on the inside?
    Outside?

I think I will use the weights from Golfworks thanks.

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Anyone ever tried Counter Weights in a Putter Grip?
    I am thinking of putting a 100 gram weight into my putter.
    http://www.balance-certified.com/pag.../03/05/6793129

Far better than weights, but more expensive as well!

Worth every penny! (IMO)

The carriage bolt sits on top of the shaft. The nuts go inside. A heavier grip will also produce the same effect. But in all honesty line up 6 balls 2 feet apart starting from the hole and try to make each one of them. That will do more for your confidence than any gizmo.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    The carriage bolt sits on top of the shaft. The nuts go inside. A heavier grip will also produce the same effect. But in all honesty line up 6 balls 2 feet apart starting from the hole and try to make each one of them. That will do more for your confidence than any gizmo.
    That's what you do with Shaft Stabilizer Chief, except you adjust the weights until you sink all six or ten balls.

Oddly enough, if you change the weights after you succeeded sinking 10 balls, I found the misses come back. So it's not Practice makes perfect.

I have done 3 of them and all 3 have worked out well (1 for myself and 2 for others).

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Golf View Post
    That's what you do with Shaft Stabilizer Chief, except you adjust the weights until you sink all six or ten balls.

Oddly enough, if you change the weights after you succeeded sinking 10 balls, I found the misses come back. So it's not Practice makes perfect.

I have done 3 of them and all 3 have worked out well (1 for myself and 2 for others).
    Glad it worked out for you Jim but in my case the 6 ball drill worked wonders.

People overead breaks and try to finesse the ball into the hole. Making 3 and 4 footers is what it is all about. I now ''ram'' it more often than not and the ball is finding the hole a hell of a lot more than before.

The 6 or 10 or whatever drill will make you become what Wishon describes ''.Golfers who putt well have a high level of fine motor control skill. That simply means they have the neuro-muscular ability to move and control objects with their hands at slower speeds in a consistent, repeating and very precise manner''
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    I am sure this is what I need to do Chief, practice more.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I am sure this is what I need to do Chief, practice more.
    I'm not sure if you've tried the "Heavy Putters" , you should check them out at GT next time you call in.
    A few years ago i had some issues with putting , i bought one of the mallett style heavy putters to train my putting stroke (i was all hands and wrists) the heavier weight helped me work out a very smooth putting stroke , and more confidence over shorter putts.I still use a mallett style putter but not the heavy style anymore.
    Food for thought perhaps
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Ok Guys, I bit the bullet and bought the Tour Lock Pro 100 gram weight and just installed it in the butt of my putter grip. Super easy install.
    WOW! The putter no longer feels dead in my hands on contact. The overall weight feels great, swing weight feels great, the feel at contact with the ball is amazing, great feedback from the putter head now. I hit 12 putts of varying lengths on my living room carpet and the feel and accuracy are amazing. Yes, I know it's only on my carpet, but, my god it feels so much better. I am playing tomorrow at noon and I will let you guys know how it works out. I am converted and I haven't even got it on the course.
    For the record I installed the weight on a Scotty Cameron Newport Detour 2.5 with a 55 gram Super Stroke Slim Lite Jumbo putter grip. I had cut the shaft down to 32 inches.
    I can't wait to try it on the course.

I played Mont Cascade yesterday and I played well considering how wet it was. The putter is now amazing. I 2 putt the first green. I 4 putt the second green because the feel was so different. After that it was all 1 putts and 2 putts. In my opionion the Tour Lock Pro weights are well worth the money especially if you do the install yourself. I am definitely putting better than I was and it only cost me $16.50 before taxes. I am sure practice would help my putting but this added weight does help the feel of the putter and definitely helps my confidence. I highly recommend the Tour Lock Pro.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    so I read this older thread and others and took in the info and made the jump. Bought a weight online the 100 gram and the grip modifier tool. Went well until installing the weight. It only went down in grip hole until it stopped at the entrance to the shaft. Looking into hole it visually appears as if the diameter of the shaft is smaller than the weight.
    My Putter is just a standard Newport Scotty.
    I'm pretty upset as now I have a hole in grip & a weight that looks a bit rough from me trying to force into shaft.

Funny that nowhere on the tour lock Pro site do they mention potential problems or to give you measurements or things to check before purchasing.

Tried googling and only found a passing reference from someone commenting they have heard of issues like mine, no solution. Sigh...
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Soooooo the gt employee last night took off my grip. The shaft wasn't cut off way below like it looked to naked eye. What I was looking down into hole thru was the shaft of Putter.

What then looked like the shaft below was remnant of the extension cut off and further even once they removed that the tour lock wouldn't fit.
    6 years ago I tried an extension and didn't like extra length so gt guy said he would heat and remove now I know he didn't do that the gt staff last night said it was cut off....

There was a huge piece of epoxy blocking. Apparently the guy who installed original extension didn't turn upside down after install. The pro shop repair guy last night said that's done to prevent epoxy running down the shaft. They cleaned it out and put a new matching Scotty grip at no cost so it's all good now & I owe an apology to the tour lock guy because their product had nothing to do with it.
    I'll contact him to let him know.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I am glad it worked out, I did reread your first post many times trying to understand what happened. It makes sense now. How is it that GT put a new Scotty grip on for free?

I am glad it worked out, I did reread your first post many times trying to understand what happened. It makes sense now. How is it that GT put a new Scotty grip on for free?
    How is it that they put a new grip on free?

Not sure if I explained above well enough above.... But... Gt etobicoke did the original extension install and promised that should I not like the longer length it was a simple heat & removal of extension.

At gt dartmouth (I'm in Halifax area now) the pro shop realized that

A. The extension was not in fact heated and removed it was cut.
    B. The original extension was not turned upside down and epoxy ran all over.

So since I hadn't done anything wrong & gt in etobicoke had.... They looked after me to remove the remnants of extension still in shaft and cleaned out epoxy excess and replaced grip as it wasn't my fault.

Re tour lock people.....

Since they were so good to me with their main rep Matt king replying so quick and then owner and inventor John calling me long distance from the states to trouble shoot I thought I should post their new website in case people want info or products.....*www.tourlockgolf.com

It all makes sense now.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Jim that is what I use in my personal putter modified with UST Freq Filtered shaft and B-C weight.
    They are more expensive than the tour lock but I like how they install. I bought the BCG fitting kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Golf View Post
    http://www.balance-certified.com/pag.../03/05/6793129

Far better than weights, but more expensive as well!

Worth every penny! (IMO)
    Kind regards, Harry

Thread Information